Author Topic: Online sellers - which sites to sell on?  (Read 2407 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
Online sellers - which sites to sell on?
« on: December 21, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »
I have a couple ideas of products to sell that i think will do fairly well.  Is it worth it to list on all three big sites out there being etst, ebay and amazon, or stick to one exclusively? I cant say exactly what they are, but they are specific to the photography industry. As far as i know, of the three etsy charges the least in fees and ebay the most and also is horrible to deal with on the vendor side

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Online sellers - which sites to sell on?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »
It depends on the market/target audience. 

Why not try it out and give it a shot on each as a trial run?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
There are trade-offs for each site.  eBay and Amazon open you up to the largest customer base, but they also charge more in fees than Etsy.  I've done most of my selling on eBay, personally.

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
I intend to do the same thing and was going to do Amazon with items in their warehouse and possibly etsy.  Being an Amazon Prime member, I know that I definitely give higher preference to items that are Fulfilled by Amzn than ones shipped by the vendor.

My brother-in-law does ebay and amazon, and requires special software to manage the inventory.  From that point of view, I might stick to one site or keep the inventories separate.  Amazon does also handle the shipping for you if you send them your inventory.  I hear you have to send it to multiple warehouses, and they charge you for the number of items still there month to month (they found people were using Amazon as cheap storage if they didn't), but this seems to me to be totally worth it, especially since they'd handle the returns.

Also, another thing my BIL figured out--if you ship it yourself, just offer free shipping.  People like it and will pay more for an item with free shipping than the item+shipping.  Crazy, but it's psychological.

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
PS:  If you're creating custom goods (i.e., not reselling something with a UPC code), you may find ebay and etsy easier.  I think there's an extra cost for being able to create your own ASINs/items on Amazon.  Though I haven't looked into it that closely yet.

Man.  The spell corrector is driving me nuts.  Keeps changing Etsy to easy