Author Topic: Online Legal Forms?  (Read 3082 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Online Legal Forms?
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am looking at my financial to do list and one of the things up next is to do some forms for me and the new wife, like wills, medical POA, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for where to get these? Nothing unusual, we are a pretty vanilla couple situation wise so I don't feel like we need to get attorneys involved.

Thanks!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: Online Legal Forms?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Try legalzoom.  Not cheap, but cheaper than an attorney.  I'm assuming you have a straightforward situation...no kids from previous marriage, disabled relatives one of you supports, etc.  For complex, better to use a real, attorney with an office in your state.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
I've liked NOLO - you can find the books in the library and they usually come with a CD with state by state forms. 

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13:30 AM »
No!!!  A lot of those forms are generic and don't fully take advantage of the laws in your particular state.  You will spend less money in the long run if you have an attorney draft your documents.  I am an attorney and I can't tell you how many messes I got to clean up in probate where people took the "cheap" way out by trying to do their own wills.  The families always had to pay me more to fix the situation than if the person had had an attorney do the will in the first place.  Call your local bar referral service to get names and call several attorneys to get the best pricing.