Author Topic: Online checking / pay someone bill pay  (Read 2447 times)

Returnoftheyeti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Online checking / pay someone bill pay
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
I am currently using a Bank of America checking account for paying most of my monthly bills. For a variety of reasons I am looking at replacing BOA with an online checking account, like Discover Checking or Capital One 360.  That being said, one thing that is holding me back is how I pay rent.  Each month I pay my girlfriend $XXX in rent.  She has a BOA checking account as well.  All I have to do is "transfer to a persons using their BOA account number". The money leaves my account, goes into hers.  All is well. She does not have do do ANYTHING, the money is just there.

Looking into online checking, it appears that if I want to pay her rent from the account, they are going to mail her a check. This is not a good answer.  So the question is, what is the best way to send a person $XXX every month, with minimal to no effort on their part? 

Thanks.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
Re: Online checking / pay someone bill pay
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
You can email cash to people--at BoA, it is "transfer to an email address."  Some effort on their end to register their account with the service the first time; after that it is about the same as transfers within the bank.

Check if your online bank option is a participant (there are a number of options, apparently, based on google of "email money").  We use it from BoA to Son with USBank account, as well as family members at credit unions in other states.

You should also be able to ACH it into her account each month, depending again on the online bank.

Also, paypal allows free transfers to "friends/family" if not a payment for goods/services.  You'd be skirting the edges of that policy though.

SaintM

Re: Online checking / pay someone bill pay
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »
You can use Square Cash to transfer money using most any debit card. There is no charge to you or the recipient. Each of you have to set it up the first time, but after that it is just an email from you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!