Author Topic: Online Backup Service That Does Not Delete Files  (Read 2702 times)

champ1234567

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Online Backup Service That Does Not Delete Files
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »
Hello All!

Long time lurker and using my 1st post to hopefully find an answer to my question  because I respect many of your opinions. My question is:

Can anyone point me to a reliable online backup service that does not automatically delete files (especially if the files I am backing up are on an external hard drive and this hard drive may only be plugged in 2-3 times a year so 4-6 months between plugins)?

I have roughly 550GB of photos/videos/music/documents if that is any help. I am on the search because Crashplan is discontinuing its service so I am left looking elsewhere. Most services delete files after 30 days if the external hard drive is not plugged in which is a no go for me. I know this topic has been posted many times before but did not seem to find a solid answer to the question in any of those threads. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

champ1234567

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Online Backup Service That Does Not Delete Files
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
Any sense of direction would help! I will do the research just really do not know where to turn and keep searching these forums and google but cannot find an answer...

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »
Are you looking for something free or paid? I use Dropbox, but I pay for it because it's for my business files and I need more space.

JLee

• Walrus Stache

champ1234567

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
Just checked out back blaze and apparently they can keep files for up to 6 months before deleting if you do not plug in which is pretty decent. Thanks! I am looking for the best I can get so I do not mind paying top dollar to ensure my 60,000+ pictures/vids/docs are safe.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »
Just checked out back blaze and apparently they can keep files for up to 6 months before deleting if you do not plug in which is pretty decent. Thanks! I am looking for the best I can get so I do not mind paying top dollar to ensure my 60,000+ pictures/vids/docs are safe.

It looks like 30 days: https://www.backblaze.com/remote-backup-everything.html

You mentioned you're backing up files to an external hard drive that you only connect every few months...do you have another copy on your computer that's always online?  If you simply have one copy on an external drive, that is not a backup!

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
So, if you need a piece of software to "crawl" you local system and sync to a remote locale Back Blaze is your best bet. If you are just looking for dropbox-like stuff where you manage a remote directory and what gets uploaded and to where in the directory structure I generally recommend Amazon Drive. As a note amazon prime members get unlimited photo back up as well (included in prime). Amazon prime photos.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
So, if you need a piece of software to "crawl" you local system and sync to a remote locale Back Blaze is your best bet. If you are just looking for dropbox-like stuff where you manage a remote directory and what gets uploaded and to where in the directory structure I generally recommend Amazon Drive. As a note amazon prime members get unlimited photo back up as well (included in prime). Amazon prime photos.

Amazon Prime Photos also allows raw files, which is pretty awesome for a bundled-with-Prime service.

champ1234567

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »

You mentioned you're backing up files to an external hard drive that you only connect every few months...do you have another copy on your computer that's always online?  If you simply have one copy on an external drive, that is not a backup!

Thank you for this! Page I saw must have been out of date! My computer does not have sufficient storage space to keep the files on there however I do have 3 external hard drives with the identical backup files on them so I am fine locally just want an online backup in case of fire, flood, theft, etc.

Amazon Prime Photos also allows raw files, which is pretty awesome for a bundled-with-Prime service.

I am currently an Amazon prime member but that unlimited image perk only goes so far for me since the bulk of my files are videos... I am going to call tomorrow and ask if they automatically delete files if local files are not plugged in within a certain time frame. However, if anyone knows this info off hand I would appreciate it!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »

Thank you for this! Page I saw must have been out of date! My computer does not have sufficient storage space to keep the files on there however I do have 3 external hard drives with the identical backup files on them so I am fine locally just want an online backup in case of fire, flood, theft, etc.

I am currently an Amazon prime member but that unlimited image perk only goes so far for me since the bulk of my files are videos... I am going to call tomorrow and ask if they automatically delete files if local files are not plugged in within a certain time frame. However, if anyone knows this info off hand I would appreciate it!

Could you just leave one of your external drives plugged in all the time?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
If you only have 550gb of stuff, just pick up another external 1tb drive for $70 and stash it in your desk drawer at work, or in your brother’s spare bedroom, or your drinking buddy’s garage (you get the idea).  Swap it out with one of your master copies every few months to keep everything in sync.

With as little being added that infrequently, frankly online backup is probably overkill if you need to shoehorn it into working (ie you don’t just leave a drive plugged in all the time like Jlee suggested).