Author Topic: One Winter Jacket- Puffer vs Ski  (Read 17173 times)

Auckland Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
One Winter Jacket- Puffer vs Ski
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
I'm wanting to get one decent quality winter jacket that I can use on cold days and also for when I go skiing. I've only recently got into the quality over quantity for clothing and am steadily replacing my wardrobe with things that will last me 10-20+ years. A winter jacket being one of them. I'm always under prepared for winter and lately have been so cold it has lead me to get sick twice in the New Zealand winter.

Are ski jackets ok to wear day to day? I like puffer jackets for the warmth (I've borrowed one once) but they aren't good for going skiing which I recently got into as they aren't waterproof.

Any recommendations? I'm male and 27 years old.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One Winter Jacket- Puffer vs Ski
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:18 PM »
Here ya go,

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:10:09 AM »
Wouldn't just a plain, dark ski jacket work over just about anything for the rest of your daily activities in winter? It shouldn't be too hard to find. (I can't speak to brands, as I'm at the complete opposite end of the planet--don't know what you have in NZ.)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41:14 AM »
I think you answered your own question. The ski jacket will work for skiing and everyday wear. The puffer jacket won't.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:20:03 AM »
My husband likes his ski jacket with zip out liner.  It's nice because it can be worn for cold or very cold.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
I've lived deep in Northern Ontario, where temperatures in the winter regularly goes down to -40 for about a year at a time.  I've always been comfortable wearing a ski jacket.

Look for one with two layers ideally, you want a windblocking/waterproof shell on the outside and a thick synthetic fleece on the inside.  When you buy your jacket make sure that you try it on with a heavy sweater on, maybe even get a jacket that's slightly too big for you.  This lets you put plenty of layers on beneath for when it's really cold.  In general, things that are tight are a bad idea when you're trying to stay warm.

Also handy are ventilation zippers.  When you're out skiing, chopping wood, or hiking you'll overheat and get all sweaty very quickly.  These vents help with that, and they can be closed up tight if it starts to get really cold.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:48:27 AM »
I mostly wear a puffer with a waterproof shell over it in cold weather. That's what I wear skiing (with the addition of a lightweight fleece or wool sweater if it's really cold). I wear the shell eight months a year in rain. I really think layering is the way to go.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 07:51:46 AM »
also, I think it is a myth that cold weather makes you sick.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 08:19:03 AM »
also, I think it is a myth that cold weather makes you sick.

Cold weather doesn't make you sick (bacteria and virus do), but breathing cold air can lead to you being sick more often.

Under cold temperatures your cells don't fight infection as well.  When you breath in cold air your nose and throat get chilled below normal body temperatures, which lowers their resistance to disease.  Slightly cooler than body temperatures make better conditions for cold virus replication.  (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/health/unraveling-the-key-to-a-cold-viruss-effectiveness.html?_r=1)

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
Clothing to protect me from the elements is one thing I will not go cheap on.  I buy quality and try to buy it on sale, then take good care of it so it will last a long time.  The crazy cold weather we had here in Chicago a couple winters ago scared the crap out of me.  One day the high temp was 15 degrees F below zero, and it was windy on top of that.  I purchased a very heavy duty down parka as a result.  It wasn't cheap but I will most likely be able to get 20 years of use out of it since I will only wear it when it is extremely cold out.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
The ski jacket is the way to go. However, I question your need to have only one jacket. Maybe its because I live in a cold climate, but I have a few winter jackets in the closet. Mostly a nice one for wearing around town/commuting and a ski jacket. My nicer looking jacket isn't even wool, but it is thigh length so its nice and warm. I bike in it down to about 10 F. Below that I grab the ski jacket for skiing or other active winter sports.

Just have a jacket (or two or three), don't worry about it, and when you need to replace one, replace one.

And I second the recommendation that you be able to layer under your winter jacket. That's the real answer to staying warm. It's not the just the jacket, it's everything else, too.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:42:24 AM »
A puffer for skiing is far from optimal.  It might be ok on very cold ski days, but for myself, I usually prefer layers of lighter items and add/remove as needed.  My body gets really warm while going downhill, so unless it's well below 15 degrees farenheight, a puffer is too hot for me.

Here's a rough breakdown of how I layer for skiing (all with under armour top and bottom underwear and ski pants.  If it's really windy, add a face mask and assume about 10 degrees colder...):

45F+ and sunny:  Under Armour top only... 
30-40F :  Thin fleece plus a Northface shell
15-30F:  Micro down vest (like a lightweight short down jacket) with a thin fleece
Below 15F:  Northface shell over Micro down vest with a thin fleece 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
One thing that people always forget is that you lose heat from your legs too.  It's common for people to wear really light weight material on their legs year round.  Even just adding a pair of long underwear beneath those pants on cold days can go a long way towards making you warmer through the day.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 09:20:11 AM »
My husband likes his ski jacket with zip out liner.  It's nice because it can be worn for cold or very cold.
I've got one that's the shell plus a liner that turns into a zip-up fleece on its own. So you've got the shell as a windbreaker and light rain coat, the fleece for cooler dry weather, and then a full winter/ski jacket when you combine the two. Almost feels like cheating :)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 09:47:14 AM »
I mostly wear a puffer with a waterproof shell over it in cold weather. That's what I wear skiing (with the addition of a lightweight fleece or wool sweater if it's really cold). I wear the shell eight months a year in rain. I really think layering is the way to go.

+1 on this one. Light puffer + outer shell and you're good for all seasons. I have a ski jacket that I still wear, which is fine when doing sports, but not so much when walking around town at -30 C.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
I will add that "ski wear" is also more resistant to abrasion.  Ice and snow can be very rough, especially when you fall at high speeds.  A jacket that is not designed for this will fall to pieces very quickly.  I bought my husband the cheapest pair of snow pants the first time he went skiing and ripped a sizable hole by the second day.  Don't cheap out on this if you intend to ski.

I recommend North Face brand.  It's lasted me over 15 years as is still in near perfect condition.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »
I've always found that after Christmas and around New Years good quality ski stuff can be had for good sales prices.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
One thing that people always forget is that you lose heat from your legs too.  It's common for people to wear really light weight material on their legs year round.  Even just adding a pair of long underwear beneath those pants on cold days can go a long way towards making you warmer through the day.
+1 to that.  For winter biking, I've added a layer of sweatpants over my jeans (acceptable work attire here ... the jeans that is, not the sweatpants).  Otherwise, my legs get flash-frozen in minutes, even with a 3/4 length gore-tex shell jacket and other layers.  Man, how I hate winter ... only 5 more to go until I can FIRE.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 11:25:28 PM »
You guys rock, but holy cow, I'm glad I live in CA! I'm such a wuss, just reading this thread is making me feel chilly.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 03:09:56 PM »
I'm going on 8 years with my North Face zip together jacket as my only winter jacket. I use it for snowshoeing and everyday. But I live in Colorado where it's accepted to wear outdoor gear as your regular clothes. I also don't claim to be stylish one bit.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
Kiwi here. Get a ski jacket. NZ winters work better with layers, because the temperature fluctuates so much. I'd go with a one colour ski/snow boarding style jacket in a darker shade, and some investment in merino underlayers. Try out the discount stores first, like a Dressmart if you have one in your area.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
My husband bought a great coat from Columbia a few years ago. It has a zip out puffer style lining that can be worn as a jacket. This part is lined with reflective fabric so it is very warm. Then there is a larger outer portion that is waterproof and you can wear skiing or for other outdoor sports. He only wears the two parts together on the coldest/wettest of days. It was a great investment and still looks brand new.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 06:16:42 AM »
I bought the kid version of that Columbia ski coat for my grandson - $25 on eBay, perfect condition. It’s very warm and not bulky.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
While I know you are looking for “one” jacket, I do want to comment that for anyone that ever needs to do some actual work in the cold, you cant go wrong with Carhart jackets. I just replaced my 9 year old jacket that had been beat to death (work is reimbursing me for a new one).

They aren’t waterproof like ski jackets, but they are very warm and very durable for everything else.