Author Topic: One, Two or Four Tires?  (Read 2870 times)

BlueDove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
One, Two or Four Tires?
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »
I have my right rear tire losing air (had to fill it up twice in one week) and I took it in to the Costco Tire Shop this week.  They said it has a nail in it, but since it is a premium "run flat" tire, that is why I can still drive it. 

The current tires I have are:

Front Left: 2013 - replaced when recommended by the dealer
Front Right 2017 - busted the rim on a vicious pothole and got the tire and rim replaced

Back Left 2011 - original to when I bought the car
Back Right (the one with the nail) - 2011 - original to when I bought the car.

The tire shop at Costco suggested replacing all four tires.  I was thinking to just replace the back two, or if I could get away with it, the back one - the one with the nail in it. 

I would like to sell this car next year and get a more fuel efficient car, ideally an electric car, if I am able to work out a way to charge it (either at my current apartment or if I move somewhere where I had control over the electricity).

What do you think about buying two or one tires now?

Front Left: 2013 - replaced when recommended by the BMW dealerEL
Front Right 2017 - busted the rim (with Wayne!) and got the tire and rim replaced

Back Left 2011 - original to when I bought the car
Back Right (the one with the nail) - 2011 - original to when I bought the car.

It's a 2008 BMW 328i Sedan (I know, pre-Mustachian, but thanks to MMM I'm driving less than 5,000 miles a year) with Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires

Should I buy one (ideal), two (the two back) or four (for all the tires, which does give me the option of choosing some less expensive tires)

Thanks. 

Thanks for the input. 

js82

• Pencil Stache
Re: One, Two or Four Tires?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:21 PM »
My take:

1. I wouldn't do 4 tires.  If your front tires are working for you, leave them alone.
2. Left-right symmetry is more important than front-rear symmetry when dealing with tires... having front tires match the rear is not so important... having left rear match the right rear, somewhat moreso.
3. Relatively speaking, your front tires are in better shape than your rear tires.  If you've put <30k miles on them(assuming <5k/yr), replacing them does not seem like a good use of money.

My vote would be rear only, and switch to less-expensive tires if you wish.  You absolutely *do not* need to have the same tires front and rear on a RWD sedan.  View any dealer who tells you otherwise with extreme suspicion.

BlueDove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
oh thanks - i hadn't even thought that the rear and front could be different. 

full disclosure, in pre-Mustachian life, I probably put the usual 12,000 miles a year on this car, commuting, driving to the gym 1 mile away etc <self face punch> (2011-2016), 2017 and 2018 are my 5K years. 

So that would be 58,000 miles on one front tire - now that I'm adding that up, and having read some previous posts about tires, I'm thinking maybe I should do all 4 and maybe try to salvage and sell the one newest one. 

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »
It's all about the tread.

Crappy tires can wear out in a year, and great tires can last for years. The best indicator is the remaining tread left on the tire. Measure the middle and toward each edge. Do the penny test. If you see all of Lincoln's head, time for new tires.

There are other indications that could lead to needing replacement, such as bulging in one or more locations(within the tread, or the sidewalls), or severe uneven wear of tread, or an unraveling steel belt(often making a thud like sound), but the penny test is a good starting point.

BlueDove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:39:23 PM »
thanks - i like that - cheap and easy test. 

iwanttobelive2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I just replaced all 4 tires with a Costco deal. They still had tread but were dry rotted and cracked. I really didn't want to, but I had a flat, was running the spare and then got another flat. So I just did all four. $400 ish with the Costco coupon. 80K mile warranty on the new tires.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
I have had good luck with buying from Wal-Mart. They do not make the tire, they just sell and install them. The mounting and balancing was very reasonable, and they come with lifetime tire rotations.

Just check their price before pulling the trigger.

BlueDove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.   

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:17:46 AM »
Crappy tires can wear out in a year, and great tires can last for years. The best indicator is the remaining tread left on the tire.

As someone who used to race cars, the first statement reads exactly backwards to me. ;) Your second statement is spot on though.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
You didn't mention the current tread condition on the rear tires but is the nail in a place that makes the tire unable to be patched? Significantly cheaper than getting new tires and you may find tire shops that will patch tires for free. There are a few in my area that will, of course they always try to sell you on additional services while your vehicle is there.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
I'm a little surprised that they didn't try to sell you a second tire (or more) in 2017, as I would expect the tread on the 2013 tire to have been significantly reduced by then? But assuming that those two are working for you, I would just replace the two 2011 tires (assuming you can't patch the flat).

joestash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »
+1 for trying to get it patched (if the tread is at a safe level).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueDove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
Thanks all!

This article from 2012 says that Bridgestone (alone among the major tire mfrs) tells dealers not to repair its run-flat tires.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/19980803/ISSUE/308039976/repairing-run-flat-tires-two-of-three-manufacturers-say-ok-but

My tire is a Bridgestone Turanza. 

Go with that or reject as marketing hype? 

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
If you're selling, I'd look for a used pair.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!