Author Topic: One kitchen knife to rule them all, or two or three...?  (Read 11798 times)

MatthewK

• Stubble
One kitchen knife to rule them all, or two or three...?
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:19:42 AM »
OK, I do 99.9% of the cooking here. We rarely eat out so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing meals for our family of five. Have one super sharp kinda high end knife dedicated for meat. I Use a 8" Calphlaon chef knife to cut up fruits/veggies....and I cut a ton of those up. It's old and not so great anymore, I do sharpen it quite often before use but it's time for a replacement. Then I have a serrated knife to cut tomato's and that's pretty much it.
So my question's to you is..(keep in mind I'm pretty minimalist)

-What do you other kitchen guru's use?
- what's a good replacement brand for my chef's knife that's quality but won't break the bank?
- Is there one to rule them all?

Thanks!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: One kitchen knife to rule them all, or two or three...?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:10:45 AM »
We received a Wusthof chef's knife as a gift, I have no idea how much it cost, but it's fantastic and I really don't need anything else. Super sharp, carbon steel (NOT dishwasher safe).

Global is supposed to be a more economical, high quality brand, but I haven't used their stuff. I'm told the main difference between Japanese and German is that the Japanese knives tend to be finer, and thus more prone to damage with mishandling. The Germans tend to be heavier and a little bit more resilient.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »
I basically have one knife to rule them all -- and it's not fancy but I keep it sharp and it feels good to wield. I've had it for about 10 years and it's still going strong. I'm not going to tell you what I use because it might be the worst knife ever for you! ;)

My suggestion is to go to a few stores and try a few that you can hold to see how they feel to you. There is absolutely no way I'd buy one without trying it on first. That said, here are some pointers:

Start with what you're willing to pay, don't worry about brand or hype
Make sure it's comfortable to you (contoured bolsters are usually more comfortable)
Check for balance (better balance = more control)
Length matters -- (length affects how the knife rocks in your hand) longer means you can chop more at a time but smaller and thinner can be more manageable
Heft -- Count on the weight of the knife and the force of gravity to make tasks easier
Craftsmanship -- It's not just the blade but the knife as a whole that will determine the price. Make sure there aren't any cracks or crevices near rivets and check the tang for smoothness. (I'd definitely go for full tang)

HTH!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
I use a shitty <$10 Farberware 8" (I think) chef's knife for all my cooking needs.  It's gotten use multiple times a day for about two and a half years now and it's still going strong.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:53:22 AM »
I got a cheap knife block set from my mother, probably sold at Kohls, about a decade ago.  There is one Santoku style knife in there that is my general workhorse, but a few years ago I got one of these -

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50264-Adjustable-Manual-Sharpener/dp/B007Y15LD4

to try and sharpen it and keep up with it.  Years ago I would have used a stone or three, but I'm getting lazy in my old age.  I'm not sure if it is misuse of the knife sharpener or what, but know my workhorse cheap knife is knicked to hell and back. 

Since I rely on just one knife 90% of the time, I've hinted to my wife that I may actually have a list for the holidays this year.  Will still keep the cheap knife block set, just replace one blade with a new shiny.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 08:06:21 AM »
Go look up America's Test Kitchen recommendations for a chef's knife or santuko...they often will have some budget recommendations.

I use a chef's knife and a bread knife the most (go to ATK's rec's again on the latter),  serrated bread knife (wavy blade, not toothed), works great for tomatoes too. 

The third in the basic trio is a paring knife, and you can get one's that work well really cheaply (just a 3 or 4" blade).  It sees a fair amount of action around here, and it is really handy for small stuff, peeling, coring, etc.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
Victorinox chefs knife is cheap and supposed to be really good.
I like my Wusthof, but those were a little more.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
A few comments from someone who's worked in the industry

1) Fit matters most.  Among "good" knives, what works best for one person may differ slightly from another. 

2) Care for your edge and a good knife is *almost* Buy It For Life (BIFL).  NEVER chop on anything but a cutting board, never dishwash, and use your honing steel (that long rod) frequently and you will reduce the need for resharpening. A few dozens passes over a whetstone every few weeks and your blade will stay sharp and true. 

3) Stamped vs Forged.  Stamped blades are made with a single pressing and the handle is added on later.  They have a bad rap but most line cooks use them because they are lighter and cheaper. They won't last for decades though.   Forged blades run the entire length of the knife, are heavier and the ones you see for sale in every fine kitchen retail store.

4) Japanese vs. German/US style knives- basically it comes down to blade angle; Japanese-style blades have a much thinner edge (typically around 12º).  German knives have a blockier angle (usually 17-20º) and tend to be heavier.  Traditionally US knives have followed German tradition.  A blade with a thinner (i.e. "Japanese-style") edge will need honing/sharpening more frequently, but they are easier to sharpen and allow for finer cuts.  German-style knives hold an edge a bit longer but once dull are much harder to resharpen due to their thickness.  I use both - a German knife for cutting through dense material like winter squash  and my Japanese knives for just about everything else.

FWIW - ATK routinely rates the Victorinox 8" Swiss Army Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife as one of the best, and they are very affordable (about $45). Big thumps up.  I have Globals in my knife role and those are my go-to everyday knives. When you start hanging out with cooks you can get sucked into the tworld of knives, which is one reason I have a few that I won't even mention on this forum (and are completely unnecessary)

IMO you can do almost anything you need to do in a kitchen with JUST an 8" chef' knife that is kept sharp.  A slightly more rounded collection would be an 8" chef, a 10" serrated (I prefer the off-et or "Z" blades) and a 4" paring knife.  That's it.  A boning knife can be useful if oyu break down your own meat/fish, and if you like swap out an 8" chef for something a bit longer (e.g. 10" or 12") but they are always heavier.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
I have 8 knives I use, 4 of which are 8" Santoku. Why 4 of them? Well, they came in a 2 pack from Sam's and I got my wife (then my girlfriend) a pack as a present while we were dating. $10 per pack from Sam's club, and I like them better than my $180 wusthoff my dad got me for my 30th.

The others are a good cleaver, a boning knife, a paring knife, and a serrated bread knife. I sharped about every 3 months, hone before every use, and they work amazingly well. I can slice a tomato thin enough to easily read through it and cut all the meat off a pork shoulder in minutes without any real effort.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
we have a shun chefs knife, bread knife and paring knife. When they were gone for sharpening and we were using old old Henkels, the cook in my family experienced severe sadness. The knives are expensive, but since 95% of our food is prepared at home, I think they are worth it (and they were gifts over the years). They are incredible knives.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
We cook everything in our house, and go out to eat maybe once or twice a year.  All of our knives came from thrift shops over the years.  They're all good quality forged knives.  Several of them are pretty damned awesome after a good sharpening with a whetstone.

We regularly use:
- paring knife
- large chef's knife
- serrated bread knife

And occasionally use:
- Cleaver
- Boning knife
- carving knife

There's a lot of mysticism and wasted money around kitchen stuff.  Good knives will last forever and can be had very, very cheaply.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
For more inspiration about what you can do with thrift store knives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XW-XdDe6j0&vl=en

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:47 AM »
We cook everything in our house, and go out to eat maybe once or twice a year.  All of our knives came from thrift shops over the years.  They're all good quality forged knives.  Several of them are pretty damned awesome after a good sharpening with a whetstone.
[snip]
There's a lot of mysticism and wasted money around kitchen stuff.  Good knives will last forever and can be had very, very cheaply.

Absolutely.
Here's a guy who paid ~$3 for a rusty Japanese knife at a thrift store.  A bunch of polishing and sharpening and the result is a razor-sharp, beautiful knife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=234&v=3XW-XdDe6j0

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
Here's a guy who paid ~$3 for a rusty Japanese knife at a thrift store.  A bunch of polishing and sharpening and the result is a razor-sharp, beautiful knife.

Haha nereo ... I beat you to it ... see my post above  :-)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »

Haha nereo ... I beat you to it ... see my post above  :-)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
Last year I was going to spend a little on a good quality knife. my mother ended up sharpening the cheap knife I had at home and voila - I didn't need a new knife anymore :) I'm not too sophisticated with my knife-using skills though so ymmv. e.g. I never realized I was supposed to use a different knife for meat vs fruits/veggies. I've always just used the same one. I should probably stop tossing the knives in the dishwasher though..

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
I never realized I was supposed to use a different knife for meat vs fruits/veggies. I've always just used the same one.
There's absolutely no reason to use a different knife for meat vs. fruits/veggies.  Just make sure you wash your knife before chopping veggies (particularly if they won't be subsequently cooked).

I should probably stop tossing the knives in the dishwasher though..
Absolutely yes.  Dishwasher detergent is caustic stuff.  Never run them through the dishwasher, never chop on a plate, skillet, glass, or anything other than a cutting board/chopping block.  Wipe them off after each use and put them back into your knife-block/magnetic rack.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
As a couple others have posted, America's Test Kitchen recommends the Victorinox.  I've never used one, so I have no opinion on that one.

I've used a Henckels 4-star 8-inch chef's knife for years and I love its size and grip. 

Now, you say you've sharpened your knife, but are you really sharpening it or just using the steel on it?  That's not the same as truly sharpening it on a stone.  Different purpose.  That said, it is hard to find services that actually sharpen kitchen knives depending on where you live.  I've sent mine off before, but it has been several years. I think I"m about to purchase the sharpening stones to do it myself. 

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
We use a Mac Japanese vegetable cleaver for almost everything.

Mac makes really good knives. The price is reasonable for the quality and how long it keeps an edge. Lots of chefs use them.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »
I've used Victorinox knives and they are legit amazing. I wish I had their chef's knife (I've used one, but don't own one). Their paring knives are the best I've ever used; I own probably six of them in varying shapes/sizes and love them. I currently use a J.A. Henkels chef's knife and santoku (got a Henkels set as a wedding present). I prefer the chef's over the santoku, as it's more comfortable for me, and the pointy tip is more useful.

Also check out this thread.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »
one other tip, FWIW ... if you store them in a knife block, store them blade side up.  Or in a knife block with sideways slots.

surfhb

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
Those ceramic knives are great!

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »
I love knives and have quite a few more than I need :)

As others have said, it is mostly about how it feels to you. Is it the right weight? Balance?

Mac knives are very nice. As are Henkels and Wusthof..

My favorite brand is Al Mar... I've got a 6in utility knife that is my go-to for most things. Not what I'd consider a cheap knife...

I also need to mention a new company, Dalstrong, I've got a 7in Santoku that is very nice. And considering the price, very, very nice. Based on reviews and my experience with the company, you can't go wrong here.

My advice is to stay away from chef knives with a "full" bolster. Where the heel is thicker than the blade. It will affect the sharpening and you could end up with a gap.

Also if you can find it, a Chinese cleaver (~350grams) is a great addition. This is mostly used for slicing vs. actual cleaving... But they are cheap, $10-$20 in China and I find I use it a lot.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 05:02:01 AM »
Wow! What a ton of knife knowledge I have just picked up from reading the comment's! I have just been sharpening with the steel rod that came with the knife block. I think I will pick up a stone and see what I can do with my current knife and go from there. I will say the Victorinox 8" chef's knife looks very nice and has plenty of good reviews on amazon. It can be picked up for about $45. Thanks again for all the replies!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 07:37:39 AM »
Those ceramic knives are great!
Ceramic knives are great... often much sharper than traditional knives right out of the box, with a harder and more durable edge.  Plus, they are very, very  light.
....BUT... sharpening a ceramic knife is not as straightforward.  Most will need to ship them to the manufacturer for re-sharpening when they dull, which takes time and costs money.  Metal knives are really easy to keep sharp and resharpen at home.

Not saying don't buy one - just be aware of the differences.

ETA: also learned from experience, don't ever use the flat of a ceramic knife to smash a garlic clove.  They shatter pretty easily :-(

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
I have two of the same knife I love, it's really a gimmick knife, badged as something like world strongest knife (can cut metal like a hacksaw), it's serrated and brilliant on bread and veggies.....and as I'm vegetarian don't need any sort of carving knives, I refer to my filleting knife as melon knife.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
So when you all say "cutting board," does it have to be an actual wood cutting board? I've always used cheap plastic cutting mats because they're cheap and easy and (probably most importantly) take up almost no space. But I inherited a wood cutting board with this apartment, and if the plastic mats are damaging my knives, I'd consider switching.

How much care and feeding do wooden cutting boards require?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 07:15:54 AM »
So when you all say "cutting board," does it have to be an actual wood cutting board? I've always used cheap plastic cutting mats because they're cheap and easy and (probably most importantly) take up almost no space. But I inherited a wood cutting board with this apartment, and if the plastic mats are damaging my knives, I'd consider switching.

How much care and feeding do wooden cutting boards require?

Plastic (usually polyethelyne) cutting boards are fine, and truth be told most commercial kitchens having cutting countertops made out of polyethelyne.  They are cheap and can be run through the dishwater for disinfecting.  No personal data but my impression is that the thin flexible 'mats' are slightly less good for your kitchen then the rigid boards because there's more surface for your knife to 'sink into'.  I could be wrong about that though.

As for wooden cutting boards and their care - I love wood because it is very easy on the knives, is fast (plastic 'grabs' knife edges when you are trying to do quick chopping), and because they look great.  Care is pretty straight-foward - wipe them off after each use with a sponge and some mild, food-safe surficant.  I use a dilute vinegar solution (about 10:1 water:white vingear) in a spray bottle.  That is also my all-purpose cleaner, and is dirt cheap.  About once a month I wipe the wooden boards with food-grade mineral oil (cheap - $6/bottle will last you all year). Mineral oil is also a very good cleaner for stainless steel surfaces. Once or twice a year I sand them quickly to clear off the knife-marks, but that's more about appearance than function.

If you follow a ~monthly routine of applying mineral oil wooden boards will last a lifetime and repel stains.  If you don't they will eventually dry out and crack.

unlike polyethe,yne boards, wooden cutting boards should never be soaked or run through the dishwasher.  Wood has some great anti-microbial properties, but I still use a different board for breaking down raw meat.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
I used to have two blocks full of expensive kitchen knives. When I went minimalist, I gave all of them away except: 1 Global 8" chef knife, 1 Wustoff Le Cordon Bleu paring knife, 1 Victorinox wavy edge bread knife, and a pair of Victorinox shears.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response, nereo!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »
I've used Victorinox knives and they are legit amazing. I wish I had their chef's knife (I've used one, but don't own one). Their paring knives are the best I've ever used; I own probably six of them in varying shapes/sizes and love them. I currently use a J.A. Henkels chef's knife and santoku (got a Henkels set as a wedding present). I prefer the chef's over the santoku, as it's more comfortable for me, and the pointy tip is more useful.

Also check out this thread.
+1  the more cooking I do, the more I appreciate a lighter weight knife that cuts like a dream and does not tire your hand.  I have owned forged german knives for over 20 years, and then looking for recommendations for replacements, Victorinox was named by all the professionals.

I do like the heavy, heavy Henkels knife I have for butterfly-ing a chicken (removing backbone), works better than shears.... and I bought a $20 ceramic knife from a grocery store that is actually kinda amazing, as well as a Wiltshire knife for $5 from the thrift store.

A paring knife should just fit your hand well.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »

That video was a thing of beauty. I wondered why he had such an array of sharpening paraphernalia. Mad skillz and worth watching!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
Ditto on Victorinox - solid knifes:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B000638D32

We also have a rabbit/boning knife and fillet knife.

No complaints whatsoever. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just stick with this brand.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »

That video was a thing of beauty. I wondered why he had such an array of sharpening paraphernalia. Mad skillz and worth watching!

AS sharpening goes what he showed in teh video was pretty standard (and cheap!) for those of us that delight in sharpening our own knives to razor-sharpness.
1) basic cleaner with mild abrasives to remove rust (Barkeeper's Friend would work well, even Comet/Ajax. Alternatively #0 steel wool)
2) medium grit whetstone ($15 -- prob. ~500 grit)
3) wax bar for making sides of knife shiny (~$3... I never bother)
4) fine grit whetstone ($15 -- prob 1.2k grit)
5) leather strop ($10)

the truly fanatical among us would have used a 3rd, even finer whetstone (eg 2000 or even 4000 grit between steps 4 & 5).  Everything in his video probably cost under $50 and would last for decades with normal home use.
his setup would allow him to get an edge sharper than what you get from the factory, and it's not particularly difficult, just time consuming. That would have taken me ~30 minutes start to finish.  Upside, once de-rusted and sharpened, it would only take a few minutes once per month to maintain that edge indefinitely.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
Since the knife expertise of Mustachia is gathered here...

I have a nice kitchen knife I got in 1981, Chicago cutlery, and I've been using it steadily (like, once or twice a week) since then, and all I've ever done is hone it with the steel that came with the set. It's entirely functional, but I'm cooking more, now that I've had my MMM conversion experience, and I'm wondering about getting a whetstone. Is my knife actually dull, and I'm just accustomed to it? I use the steel a bit almost every time I use it. It doesn't seem very sharp, but it doesn't seem very dull either...

So, should I get something to actually sharpen it with? & if so, what?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

I have a nice kitchen knife I got in 1981, Chicago cutlery, and I've been using it steadily (like, once or twice a week) [snip]. Is my knife actually dull, and I'm just accustomed to it? I use the steel a bit almost every time I use it. It doesn't seem very sharp, but it doesn't seem very dull either...

I can say with certainty that your knife is much duller than it could be, and you've probably just gotten used to it (combined with how incredibly dull most other people's knives are).  The fact that you've used the honing steel certainly has helped, but by all means sharpen it and notice the huge difference.

I highly recommend every home cook learns the basics of sharpening.  A simple, two-sided whetstone is really all you need to get knives at/near "factory sharpness", with ~400 grit and ~1000 grit surfaces.  Here's a two-sided one for $15 (400 and 1000 grit).  That's really all you need.  If you *really* want to get razor-sharpness buy a second stone (~2000 grit) and find an old piece of leather to use as a strop (old leather belts work great, or ask a belt-maker for a scrap ~8" piece - they'll give them to you free, or nearly free).
The fanatical will use 2,000 + 4,000 and sometimes even 8,000 grits (and/or natural or glass plates).  IMO that's overkill and a weird hobby.

Here's a  video on one technique using a whetstone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWJMEWck3WI
note that there's lots of different techniques (back and forth vs. one swipe) and knife sharpeners love to fight about which is superior.  In the end any will give you a better edge than what you had when the knife was brand new.  Find what works for you (there are dozens on YouTube). 

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
Thanks so much!

Suze456

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
Victorinox a fav here..the one knife for most cutting/peeling jobs for 10+ years

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
I have a variety of knives, and the most important thing is keeping them sharp.  I have a whetstone inherited from my Dad.  It is not just knives that need to be sharpened.  I just sharpened 2 pairs of scissors I thought I was going to throw out, and they are fine.  Plus if anyone has ever used a scythe for weeds ( in many ways much better than using a string trimmer) then keeping the blade sharp is essential.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »

I have a nice kitchen knife I got in 1981, Chicago cutlery, and I've been using it steadily (like, once or twice a week) since then, and all I've ever done is hone it with the steel that came with the set. It's entirely functional, but I'm cooking more, now that I've had my MMM conversion experience, and I'm wondering about getting a whetstone. Is my knife actually dull, and I'm just accustomed to it? I use the steel a bit almost every time I use it. It doesn't seem very sharp, but it doesn't seem very dull either...

I have early 80's Chicago Cutlery, and like you, had never sharpened them, just honed them (on early 80's Crock Sticks). They still worked just fine. However, I recently took 2 of them, my most frequently used 2, to be sharpened. $2-3 each, and they are SHARP.  It definitely makes a difference, but I'm not going to sharpen them myself when a few dollars every few years will do. And I have an excuse to go to the farmer's market.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:25:54 PM by geekette »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 06:27:58 PM »

I have early 80's Chicago Cutlery, and like you, had never sharpened them, just honed them (on early 80's Crock Sticks). They still worked just fine. However, I recently took 2 of them, my most frequently used 2, to be sharpened. $2-3 each, and they are SHARP.  It definitely makes a difference, but I'm not going to sharpen them myself when a few dollars every few years will do. And I have an excuse to go to the farmer's market.
by chance is the person who sharpens your knives a little bearded guy who works out of a van in central California?  He's awesome.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »

by chance is the person who sharpens your knives a little bearded guy who works out of a van in central California?  He's awesome.
Not unless he travels a LOT - he works out of a van in central NC. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

Not unless he travels a LOT - he works out of a van in central NC.
lol - guess there's more than one.

Adding to the discussion - if you can find a good knife sharpening guy/gal and you don't particularly want to learning sharpening yourself go ahead and get your knives sharpened professionally 2-3x year.  Use the honing steel every few days in between sharpening and your knives will stay reasonably sharp (certainly better than what 90% of home cooks use daily).

how to tell if someone is good? they use actual stones instead of some mechanical sharpener that anyone can buy for $200.  Those electrical sharpeners give you an edge but grind away WAY too much material to use repeatedly (and the edge is never as good or durable).  You should see them actually sharpening knives  - avoid people who take your knives into some back room and say 'come back in an hour'.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
Welp, you were right, nereo. I got a stone and sharpened my knife, and now I just basically hold it above things and think slicey thoughts, and they disintegrate on the cutting board. I had no idea. Thanks again!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
Welp, you were right, nereo. I got a stone and sharpened my knife, and now I just basically hold it above things and think slicey thoughts, and they disintegrate on the cutting board. I had no idea. Thanks again!

Sharp knives make every task in the kitchen so much more pleasurable.  Glad to have helped.  The only downside to having a sharp knife is you'll find yourself continuously frustrated whenever cooking in someone else's kitchen who does not keep their knives sharp (which are most people IME).

thegardener

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
I bought a set of Cuisinart multi-colored knives in my teenage days and I still really like them as an adult. I mostly use the santoku, slicing, and chef knives and I keep them super sharp. I also have a half dozen inexpensive paring knives. I'm not super minimalist and frequently cut up lots of things that shouldn't be cut with the same knife.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
I bought a set of Cuisinart multi-colored knives in my teenage days and I still really like them as an adult. I mostly use the santoku, slicing, and chef knives and I keep them super sharp. I also have a half dozen inexpensive paring knives. I'm not super minimalist and frequently cut up lots of things that shouldn't be cut with the same knife.
What do people mean "shouldn't be cut with the same knife"?  Are we talking about cutting poultry and veggies without washing the knife?  Or is there some sort of belief that once you use a knife to cut meat it can never again touch a cucumber?
This really has me scratching my head.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2017, 05:26:45 PM »
My guess is that a tomato is "best" cut by a knife with serrations, and a large roast by a long meat knife, fillet fish with a thin delicate boning knife, etc.   Or,  you could just chop at everything with a 6" chef's knife and be relatively successful.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2017, 05:43:30 AM »
Update, I ended up holding off on purchasing a new knife and instead got a wet stone off of Amazon for around $30. After watching a few Youtube's of how to use one I was sharpening away in no time. Shit, I'm glad I went that route, cut's like a champ now. I started looking around the house for other knives and such to sharpen. I feel as this was the proper "mustachian" way to approach the problem as well! Thanks for the tips! You guys are great!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2017, 08:01:35 AM »
My guess is that a tomato is "best" cut by a knife with serrations, and a large roast by a long meat knife, fillet fish with a thin delicate boning knife, etc.   Or,  you could just chop at everything with a 6" chef's knife and be relatively successful.

When any of my knives can no longer make easy cuts through a ripe tomato without significant downward pressure, that's how I know it's time to sharpen them.  You absolutely don't need serrations.