Author Topic: On the jobhunt again, need inspiration...  (Read 2020 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
On the jobhunt again, need inspiration...
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:40:02 AM »
So.... I've used the FU stache to leave a completely nuts position after a year. Prior to this I used FU stache to leave a nutso position after 3 years. Prior to that I was made redundant after 3 years. Prior to that I was made redundant after a year. I've honestly just had enough. I can drift for a few/several months, but I do need another job at some point. I've no more fucks to give, as the song goes. Advice?

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
Re: On the jobhunt again, need inspiration...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »
All I can say is...been there.

I quit my last job and went traveling for a year. Best decision ever. I took my son and we went and did a bunch of Workaways (https://www.workaway.info/). Because our accommodations and food were taken care of, it was cheap. It also gave me time to decompress and think about exactly the type of job/company/career I wanted to explore.

When I started looking, I could tell immediately I was in a much better place. Interviews went well and I was offered a great position within a few weeks of returning. BTW....Tim Ferris is absolutely right....don't be afraid of gaps in the resume...interviewers were far more interested in hearing travel stories than me explaining what functions I served in my last role.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:39:32 AM »
I could use some inspiration, too.  I feel like I'm just wasting my time applying to positions online.  The only two call backs I've gotten have been from companies where I had some sort of connection.  Unfortunately, I've just about used up all of my connections at this point.  I hated searching for a job when I was graduating from college, and I think it's even more frustrating now.

Technology has not made the job finding process any easier.  If anything, I think it's actually gotten worse.  The notion that an HR person, hiring manager, or (in most cases) a computer can judge a person's aptitude or potential from looking at a resume is ridiculous.  That sheet of paper might give a person an idea of what types of things I've done in past jobs, but I feel it has almost nothing to to with who I am or what kind of employee I would be.  And it's all they see (or should I say it's all the computer sees) before deciding I'm not worth talking to.

The only other process I can compare the job search to is applying to colleges, and at least they have some objective data (in the form of aptitude tests and GPAs) to go by when making decisions about who to admit.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »
We were going to start slow travel next year, so it didn't make sense for me to be looking. Now DH wants to have a bigger buffer. So I need to start looking. Trouble is, I don't even know what I want to do, as I quit my last job because I was miserable and there is no call for my field of education around here.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
Travel is a good idea but doesn't suit the circumstances right now. I was half thinking of buying a laser cutter and getting creative on etsy. It's aligned with my skill base and I would enjoy it. I've got to get out of this fundamentally tired and plain old DONE head space.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »
I'm in a very similar headspace as you, Anna.  I am so tired all the time and it's getting harder and harder to wear the "mask."

All I can say is...been there.

I quit my last job and went traveling for a year. Best decision ever. I took my son and we went and did a bunch of Workaways (https://www.workaway.info/). Because our accommodations and food were taken care of, it was cheap. It also gave me time to decompress and think about exactly the type of job/company/career I wanted to explore.

When I started looking, I could tell immediately I was in a much better place. Interviews went well and I was offered a great position within a few weeks of returning. BTW....Tim Ferris is absolutely right....don't be afraid of gaps in the resume...interviewers were far more interested in hearing travel stories than me explaining what functions I served in my last role.

I'm really considering doing this the minute I get my student loans paid off this year.  I'm 34 nowhere near FI, so it would set me back quite a bit.  But I'm starting to think I can't afford not to take a really extreme break from the rat race.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 09:03:37 AM »
Travel is a good idea but doesn't suit the circumstances right now. I was half thinking of buying a laser cutter and getting creative on etsy. It's aligned with my skill base and I would enjoy it. I've got to get out of this fundamentally tired and plain old DONE head space.

Try it then. If you've got FU money to keep yourself going through a few (or many) lean months, then you've got nothing to lose. I would love to make a go of at as a woodworker, and if I didn't have a wife and four kids who depend on my paycheck, I'd probably give it a try.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:04:49 AM »
Buying a laser cutter sounds like a great idea. I've been "funemployed" for almost a year. I took an internship as a music producer for three months, I wrote a bunch of songs and booked and performed at my own concert. I recently started math tutoring to see where that leads me. Also did some intense mental health work. If you have the money absolutely take your time.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »
What I have found that works for me when I get stuck, is go do things I'm either scared off, have been putting off, or completely outside my comfort zone. Brain researchers point out that when you do the same types of activities day in and day out, those neural pathways become "hardwired." ie habits. You literally stop thinking about them and go on automatic. Your idea about buying a laser cutter sounds great, but you also said it's within your skill-set. I'm NOT picking on you, but it sounds like you've already got some artistic talent so, while being fun (and potentially profitable) it may not stretch you.

Obviously I have no idea what your situation is...you may have people relying on you. You said travel wasn't an option.

You said you have some FU money but not RE. I might try and kill two birds with one stone (and one of the previous posters gave you the same idea)...maybe try a job completely and totally different from what you've done in the past. If you've been doing graphic design for a living....go try working as a lab assistant...or an electrician's helper...something so far out of your comfort zone the neurons in your brain actually squeak as they make new connections.

Make some cash, save your FU money and realize you may absolutely hate the new job...

In my earlier days...right out of college when I had not idea what I wanted to do...I went on an adventure streak. I hate heights so I went bungee jumping and skydiving. I rafted. I would intentionally try and get lost in a new city. Sounds silly, but it helped my figure things out.

I'm not suggesting you become a daredevil. But instead of thinking you're stuck, try reframing this as an opportunity to surprise the shit out of your loved ones and create some excellent stories to tell your friends.

Friend, "So Anna, what have you been doing since you're not working at SHITTYCOMPANY any more?"

Anna, "I've been.. (WRITING ARTICLES FOR OUTSIDE MAGAZINE...LEARNING TO DRAW BLOOD FROM BABOONS....BUILDING HOUSES FOR HABITAT FOR HUMANITY....HELPING XYZ CANDIDATE RUN FOR PRESIDENT)"

Friend, "Holy Shit!" (Eyes Bug Out!)

Really, this is not you being stuck, just getting ready to grow and expand into a new and different direction!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 11:43:11 PM »
Some good advice on this thread, thanks everyone. I'm going to crunch some numbers tonight and see what's what. I spoke to someone today about the laser cutter and got some practical advice. I have a couple more ideas that require some research. I don't feel so locked into having to go back into another frickin shitty 9-5 now though, so that's good!