Author Topic: older iphone question  (Read 1392 times)

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
older iphone question
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
I have used a work provided smartphone for the last dozen years and have never owned one myself, and never had to learn anything about them beyond simply using them.  With my retirement date looming I am going to have to get my own phone or go without.  I recently inherited an iphone5c but noticed that it won't update to the latest version of ios and a number of apps won't function correctly on the older versions of ios. 

Is there a way to get it up to date?  If not, will things just get worse and therefore should I just bite the bullet and buy a new phone? (I would buy a much cheaper smartphone than a iphone)

Thanks!

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: older iphone question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
Once your phone gets to a certain age, they no longer can update (this is true with both iOS and android).  I have a 2nd gen iPod that still works perfect for music, but no apps will run on it due to it being old and unable to update the software.  Maybe someone here knows a secret about how to get the latest versions, but you'd be better off getting a new phone if you want to use apps.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
Thanks, sadly I think you are right.   I suppose I could live without those apps that require the latest ios to run.  If it really seems to be a problem I could always get a new phone later. 

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »
I have this phone (refurbished) and I love it.  Its innards are new (although I think they're coming out with a 2 generation SE) but in a iPhone 5 body.  I used to have a 4S but had to give it up when it was no longer supported, but I still wanted a smaller phone.  I've had no issues with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Apple-iPhone-SE-32GB-SIlver-Total-Wireless/114091297?selected=true

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 02:06:58 PM »
Thanks - sounds like another reason for me to give it a try.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!