Author Topic: Old treadmill for free or not?  (Read 1419 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Old treadmill for free or not?
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:16:59 AM »
My job is going to give away an old running treadmill from the trim room. Those interested can join a lottery for it. I am so in doubt whether to join the lottery or not. Of course, I like stuff for free. I also don't like to run on icy circumstances, so a treadmill would come in handy on those days. But we are also going to downsize next year and will move to another part of the country. We are in the process of selling a lot of our stuff to minimize our home. I also know that all the stuff that you own, also owns you to a certain degree.

My husband has once gotten an old cycling device, but that has so old software that it can't be connected to the computer anymore. So the thing is just standing against in the cellar, taking up space.

Shall I do it or not?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Old treadmill for free or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:53:51 AM »
Why not put your name in the hat and see what happens? You aren’t committing to spending the rest of your life with this treadmill. Give it a try and if you use it, great. If you don’t or later decide to downsize, either offer it to someone else at work or give it away for free on Buy Nothing or FB or Craigslist. I don’t see a downside here.

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
You'd be surprised how big a pain in the ass disassembling and reassembling a treadmill can be in order to get it through a doorway.  Personally, if it's a beater treadmill I would pass.  If it's still in good shape, then sure

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
As HW said, treadmills can be big, heavy and may not fit through a standard door.  Taking it apart to get it home then inside might be way more of a pain than it is worth.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 12:24:41 AM »
Exactly, that disassembling and assembling an then setting up in the attic of our house with a narrow staircase, seems like a PITA to me. I guess it is a beater, as it is the oldest one at work and has been used by many people several times a day for many years.
DH has now travelled away and I would need to transport it to our house by myself. I have decided not to do it. Thanks for input.