Author Topic: Old employer 401k / Options  (Read 1779 times)

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
Old employer 401k / Options
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »
Okay, so I started working for my previous employer when I was 20, worked their 5 years before moving to the job I am currently in.  I was just looking into my old 401k account, which I have just shy of $27k in, and debating what to do with it.  It's with Fidelity right now, and I'm debating whether I roll it to an IRA with them, roll it over to my 401k account with my current employer, or open something up through Vanguard.  Thoughts?  Opinions?  Options?

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
Re: Old employer 401k / Options
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »
It greatly depends on a) account fees, bookkeeping fees, b) funds options with old/current. Need more info

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Old employer 401k / Options
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:51:59 PM »
Rolling it over to an IRA will give you the most flexibility.  You can stay at Fidelity - they make rollovers very easy and have inexpensive index funds that are equivalent to Vanguard.

However, if you think you will ever want to do backdoor Roth contributions and your new 401k has decent investment options, then roll it over into your new 401k, so that you don't have traditional IRAs getting in the way of doing backdoor Roth contributions. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!