Author Topic: Old but unused solar panel pricing For Craigslit  (Read 2175 times)

Prepube

• Stubble
Old but unused solar panel pricing For Craigslit
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:57:10 PM »
Today I found some solar panels that are about ten years old that had never been unpacked after being shipped from the manufacturer.  I want to sell them on Craigslist, but have no idea how to price them.  Made by the Chinese company, Hye, the set has handwritten specs on a label on the back that says the following:

Mode type: hye 50w
VOC: 4.3 or 21.3 (handwriting is kind of hard to read, and since I don't know what voc is, I have no context for guessing at the written values)
ISC: 3.17
VPMAX: 17.5
IPMAX: 2.86
PPMAX: 50(?)
Dimensions 680x630x35

Any guidance you can give me would be useful.  I never know how to price stuff, but I am even more lost when I don't even know wtf I am looking at.  These six panels were in a wood shipping crate that had never been opened, and that had sat in the same storage area since about 2004 with a sign posted on it that said "do not touch this".  Nobody ever did until I opened it today just to see what it was.  After you help me price them, want to buy them?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:13:39 AM by Prepube »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Old but unused solar panel pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 12:21:45 AM »
Well, new panels are going for around $1/W in some configurations.  It really depends on what the panels are.

Where are you located?

Mode type: hye 50w
VOC: 4.3 or 21.3 (handwriting is kind of hard to read, and since I don't know what voc is, I have no context for guessing at the written values)
ISC: 3.17
VPMAX: 17.5
IPMAX: 2.86
PPMAX: 50(?)
Dimensions 680x630x35

VOC: Voltage Open Circuit.  It's 21.3v based on the other data.
ISC: Current (I) short circuit.  3.17A.
VPMAX: Voltage Point Max(imum output): 17.5v
IPMAX: Current Max - 2.86A (and, note 17.5*2.86 = 50W - which is what they're rated for)
PMAX: Power max (max rated power): 50W

They're probably worth $60 or $70 a piece, but be prepared to accept less if you want to get rid of them.

Prepube

• Stubble
Re: Old but unused solar panel pricing For Craigslit
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
Thank you!  I knew one of you engineering folks could help me with this.  I live west of Denver...actually the panels are stored in downtown Denver.  I will just post them on CL for 75 and see what happens.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!