Author Topic: Old android phone stuck in perpetual "upgrade loop"  (Read 2614 times)

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
Old android phone stuck in perpetual "upgrade loop"
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »
My old Samsung Galaxy s5 has been telling me it needs an upgrade every day at 5pm. Some times I've just let it upgrade, roll through the restart, and think I'm good to go. But it continues to tell me I need an upgrade despite having let it upgrade about 8 times probably.

Any ideas? What do I need to do to get the upgrade to "take"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sturv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Old android phone stuck in perpetual "upgrade loop"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Is it a different upgrade every time? If you have not run a system upgrade on it in a while, it will individually patch each upgrade until it's caught up. If this is the case, just keep at it, and it will eventually be up to date!

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:01:42 AM »
I'll check this time to see if it tells me what kind of upgrade it is but it generally just seems to be a "complete system upgrade". I've let it update several days in a row in the past. Starts to make you feel a bit insane when it's been going on every day for probably 2 months now :) ...like every once in a while I'll let it do its thing because I think "ok, maybe THIS time it will finally be done updating.."

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »
How tech-geek are you?  If you're feeling a bit adventurous, the S5 is well-supported by the aftermarket Android community.  You can get the latest version of Android, far beyond anything Samsung has supported.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
Not very tech geek.
 I did build a computer this year with the help of a friend , but it was very plug and play.
One time I went into "developer mode " on my phone to try and fix something it was going or give me access to some setting I didn't other we have.

Given this phone is super slow and crappy and frustrating, and therefore I wouldn't mind upgrading if I were to "brick" it, I could potentially be down to try an get the latest android version. My concern would be could this phone "handle it"..? Or would it be even worse?

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »
Here's what the update looked like last night. When you click on the link it gives you basically no more information. I let it update last night , so we'll see if it pops up again tonight (I 100% expect it to)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 08:05:51 AM »
It's not a process for the faint of heart, but if you follow the instructions precisely, it should work fine.  Don't worry about whether your phone can handle it, it'll be ok.  Instructions here:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/klte/install

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
My phone is used for work emails. Am I going to be 'allowed' to do this? I feel like if I do this, then my phone is 'rooted' or something right? So when I go back to install our email system ("Boxer"), it will detect that and not allow me to do so?

My  phone is really crapping out lately. It is a huge lesson in patience. I will select something on the screen, and it will literally dim and then turn black before 'executing' my last command. It's so slow.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
A different ROM doesn't *have* to be rooted, but most are. Unless Boxer has some sort of fancy root detection stuff under the hood (and I doubt it does), it shouldn't give you any grief.

adamsputnik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
I had this problem a while ago and finally stumbled on the solution - clearing the phone's cache. It requires going into the startup settings (BIOS, basically) and that dealt with the issue after some futzing about.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-clear-galaxy-s5-cache

I will see if I can find a more comprehensive link.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 08:52:28 PM »
Interestingly it finally stopped asking me to update the phone.

I think posting it on here is what made it finally work ;)

But, my phone is still slow as molasses and I'm trying to decide if the klte install will help improve the speed at all.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
Clear the cache before trying a system upgrade.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »
I'd go a bit father--doing a factory rest is usually a good thing to try before trying anything else

Tinker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
My phone is used for work emails. Am I going to be 'allowed' to do this? I feel like if I do this, then my phone is 'rooted' or something right? So when I go back to install our email system ("Boxer"), it will detect that and not allow me to do so?

My  phone is really crapping out lately. It is a huge lesson in patience. I will select something on the screen, and it will literally dim and then turn black before 'executing' my last command. It's so slow.
If this is not your own phone, contact the responsible party from your company about the issues you are having.
Installing 3rd party software not explicitly greenlisted to a device you use for work emails can easily escalate into a security incident.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
This is my own phone...my company just has me install an email app on it so we can receive secure work emails.

I just did the cache wipe. It surprises me that I'm still showing as having '2 unread text messages'...that's been another strange occurence in the last few weeks. All my texts show as 'read', but yet the messages app says I have 2 unread still.

And even after the cache wipe it still says that. I guess the cache wipe isn't all that powerful.

My camera is also busted on this phone so I'm thinking of just buying a new one. I saw someone recommend the original Pixel in another thread..although I'm starting to want to just get on the Apple train, because of facetime, grouptexts/imessage (i've literally been left out of things/events becuase people would not want to include my phone in their group and mess it up...friends generally just text me outside of their group texts though if they want to include me on things)