Author Topic: OK then, how about Meadville PA/NW PA as an ER destination???  (Read 2374 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
OK then, how about Meadville PA/NW PA as an ER destination???
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Kinda in the same neck of the woods as my WNY thread, so how about Meadville PA/NW PA?  I have been there a lot lately, and it seems like a pretty nice place, but I would love to hear from actual residents pros/cons, the vibe of the area, how far my SWR of $48k/year will go, etc.  So many university towns in this area, and I figure this could mean PT job opportunities, plus I like the culture, arts, etc that come with this.

Housing seems reasonable, taxes kinda high, landscape different from my Pittsburgh area living, but the people seem overall friendly, and sound so different than what I am used to *smile*.  Thanks for the help!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: OK then, how about Meadville PA/NW PA as an ER destination???
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
Having grown up in Murrysville, I'd suggest that you spend January/February in Meadville to see how badly the Lake Erie effect is going to hammer your winter snowfall. 

I remember complaining about my hometown winter weather and then expressing happiness that we weren't dealing with weather like those unhappy folks had it up there.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
So, I grew up in Clarion County.  My sister lives in Greenville, which is near Meadville.

It's a nice area.  Your money will go far.

This winter was BRUTAL.  I saw all of the pictures on facebook.  This summer they are flooded.

If you are in Pittsburgh, then you know the drill, just think lots more snow and about 8-10 degrees colder.

(I live in So. Cal.)

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Thanks!  Small world; Right after my divorce I moved from Upper Burrell just a few miles away, and now live in northern Beaver Co, my home area as a kid about 75 miles south of Meadville.  My SO is from there, and I did get a very good taste of winter this year driving back and forth seeing her.  It was brutal!  I'm hoping that because I will not have to commute by virtue of ER, the snow factor won't be so great no matter the area.

I like the Clarion Co area, Allegheny National forest etc, and think it may be good for an ER area as well.  I'm finding it really hard to figure out where I want to settle...  Pretty much can go anywhere, yet not so sure why it's so darn hard to figure out?  I know SO is a big part of this, and I'm really trying to see how/if she can be a part of all of this.  Thanks again.