Author Topic: OK talk me out of this  (Read 6802 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
OK talk me out of this
« on: February 17, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
I have been retired for 5 weeks and am FI.. and now the first employer is trying to "talk to me through Linked-in".

If they are looking for someone part time or short term that would be cool but I know this company is a 60 hour a week meat grinder.. well not quite but I know the employees work hard.

Repeat to myself.. "I don't want a job. I don't want a job"... Yipes!!!!

Frank

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: OK talk me out of this
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
If you are looking at Linked In, you likely want a job for some reason.  Are you not filling the suddenly available hours with productive, fulfilling activities?  Are you having second thoughts about your finances? 

Or, maybe you are "just looking" to make sure you could find work if you decided retirement was not for you.  Kind of like a guy perusing the dating sites in case the current relationship doesn't work out....

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
Finances.. no certainly don't have an issue there.

Starting to come to the end of my list of chores.. But enjoying the free time.

I think there is a Fear (its all about fear right!) that I will loose my finely honed edge.. I am a professional engineer.. I'm good at it. if I don't do it for say 5 years I won't be finely honed anymore.

So why not do say 2 days a week of rewarding work?.. I think I'd be ok with that.

But anything that looks like full time I'm not interested.

Frank

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »
frankh - come trade places with me for a few days, that will cure you :).  Really though, you have worked hard to be where you are, we are still in the colder months so you might be a little less active than you will be in a few months.  I think you should hold off on going back, you won't have as much time to impart your wisdom on us!  Do you think it will be fun to go back and work with them?  If not I wouldn't go.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
Yes Mic.. I think thats the key.. if it would be fun then do it... if not then why would you.. I don't need the stress.. I just got out of the 60 hour week (plus 80 mile commute) pressure cooker.

Frank

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »
Why do you still have a linked in account? Those are for networking for work contacts... just sayin'

Delete and then you won't have that issue. Some employers might see you having that up still active as a "I'm available" sign.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
Hmm.. very good point.. I guess emotionally I sort of "am available".. but only to a point..:)

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Honestly, I would probably talk to them, but that is cause I talk to just about every recruiter that contacts me just to have the conversations and to see what they have to say.  I'm not in a position where I'm likely to switch where I am (though I did just go on my 3rd interview for a position today -- it is intriguing enough that I want to see what the total compensation package is)

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:58 PM »
frankh, don't forget ANY earned income will throw off the IRA-Roth IRA ladder, and the 15% long-term cap gain strategy. If you want to do it don't let this stop you, but don't forget you will have to pay more taxes for income you don't need.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:33 PM »
Think of the person who's life will be saved by that job... yes their consumerism got them to needing it, but they didn't have this blog to know.... don't take it away from whoever that will likely inevitably be.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:18 AM »
Frankh, its always nice to be head hunted. Makes you feel good inside.
Seriously though, what they said!

If you really want to retire, stop playing around, get off that site.

If you really want some part-time work, contact them and say only if its part-time. Personally I'd do that by email, so they know up front thats all you'll consider and its harder for them to schmoozle you, at least at first anyway.

If you are worried about losing your finely "honedness," could you find some other way of doing that outside the workforce? Are you worried about your brain turning to mush or loss of your specific knowledge/skills that might make you employable in the future? Different answers according to which it is.

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
I say go for it!  Interview, wait for the job offer then negotiate a part-time job!  Then you'll KNOW if you really want it or not if you have the time to do all that - it might be fun to see how it pans out.

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »
FI is all about choices! If you want to dabble, then do so! Just make sure you set your limits up front with your potential employer--"I'm only interested in PT work, meaning no more than 20 hours a week. If for some reason this position becomes more than that I'll be happy to train my replacement and transition out of the role." Or, "please tell me what the position is about and the hours involved" before you make a decision. You can always say no.

I'm guessing that you enjoy engineering, just not being forced to do it, right? :) It's just an aspect of "do what you love".

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
I'd go to lunch with the person, see what they have to say. Not needing a job, you can pick and choose what works for you, and you may be able to offer creative solutions other people can't. You may find there's a three-month project that needs your help and that would be fun.

I don't think it's a bad thing to keep up your professional skills. And it's definitely a GOOD think to keep up with your professional contacts, so go have coffee or breakfast with the person and tell them that if nothing else, you'd love to get together every so often for coffee. That will always give you an excuse to call if you feel like it.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
You say it's a "60 hour a week meat grinder", but that only really applies to the employees who rely on the company paycheck to support their families. As someone who is FI already, you have all the leverage. Say you would be happy to work for two eight-hour days a week, but make clear that you're unwilling to work more than that under any circumstances (or negotiate for something crazy like triple your salary for any days over two). It sounds like this job is something you might actually want to do with your time as long as they can stick to the work hours agreement, so give it a try! If they go back on their word and try to demand 60-hour weeks (or even 40-hour weeks) out of you, you can always quit. You'll be in the same position you're in now if that happened: happily retired, but willing to spend some time on the right job if it came along.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
You guys (and gals) are awesome.

What an excellent and well thought out range of responses.

Thinking about this more.. yes I do enjoy being an engineer.. but its like everything else.. if your a brain surgeon you have to do enough surgeries to be sharp or you have to choose to not do them at all.

Bottom line I would like to offer my professional services on a strictly limited time basis (they did say work as much or as little as you want). So I am thinking an average of 1 day or 10 hours per week max at the same salary as my previous employer.

Maybe that will prce me out of a job but if it does then its really not worth my time..

Thanks all.

Frank