Author Topic: OK fitness buffs and lazy bums, chime in!  (Read 31845 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: OK fitness buffs and lazy bums, chime in!
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »
Might have missed it but didn't see anyone mention P90X. Started a couple years ago with my wife and we have seen great results (lost weight, gained muscle and strength, improved overall fitness). We love it because we don't have to go the gym - which with two young kids and two careers is near impossible - there just isn't enough time in the day. And with a relatively modest upfront cost (videos, some dumbbells or bands, exercise mat and a pull up bar) we have saved thousands of dollars over the cost of gym membership. Very mustachian.

If I have one complaint its that Beachbody is constantly trying to sell extremely overpriced supplements to go with the exercise program. Avoid those silly extras, stick with program, get a decent protein powder supplement and you will see results.

Curious - anyone had good / bad experience with P90X?
I love P90X.  When my first child was around 3 or 4, my hubby started traveling a lot.  This meant that I missed my gym days, esp if he was gone a long time.  So I asked for it for Christmas.  It was great!

On weeks when he traveled, I did it every morning.  When he wasn't traveling, I did it on HIS gym days (we take turns).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »
A bit of a longer answer - I've had the MOST success this year with lowering my carb intake.  I wouldn't call myself paleo or primal - I love beans, and I do eat grains.

Mostly, I gave up wheat.
For fruits, I eat -2 servings a day.
For beans/ grains/ potatoes, I eat 0-2 servings per day.

That is relatively low-carb compared to the typical American diet.

I have also had much better luck lately with intervals (hence my mention of the burpees before, it's an interval workout I can literally do at home in 10 minutes) and weights.  I can get a decent workout in 15 minutes that way.  But I'm pressed for time with a full time job and two kids.  YMMV.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
One more thing!  Sorry, I'm home with the boys and the toddler does NOT want me to type right now.

You may have to try different things.  What works for you may be different from someone else, and it changes over time.  I have, in the past done:

running (half marathons)
triathlons
weight training (I used to be able to bench 115, which is a lot for a 5'2" female)
walking (did 3 Breast Cancer 3 day walks)
Spinning
Swimming
P90X
Yoga (always did this with the running)
PiYo
21 Day  Fix
Body weight exercises

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
Someone mentioned rec center for cheap classes - some community colleges have them also (mine are $30 for a semester, so about $2 a class). It helps me to be accountable to someone, and in a class there's a teacher harping on you about attendance! Another suggestion is to find ways to work activity into the things that you do normally. Can you walk or ride bikes to a grocery store? Can you take an extra 20 mins to walk around the building if you're out shopping? It's not the cardiovascular you need to lose weight, but it does affect your aversion to activity.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »
Since you mentioned that you are already walking I would up the amount.  When I worked I walked a mile on each break & 3 miles on my lunch break. I also park in the far end of parking lots, take the steps, etc & try to build as much exercise as I can into my day.  I also use the Fitbit to track my steps, calories, etc.  If I am eating out I check the menu for where I am going & plan what I am going to eat. I also cut my meal in half when it comes & take the other half home.  I rarely have dessert & if I do I split it with someone. Mainly just drink water most days.  Also if you limit your calories everyday eventually your body will adjust & your metabolism will slow so one day a week eat as many or more calories then what you burn.  It confuses the body.  The Fitbit shows me everyday how many calories I have burned & then I keep track of how many I ate so I can see a daily deficit which will equal a slow & steady weight loss.

danb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »
This is often considered extreme, but many MMM readers seem to have no problem with being extreme. I'v been following a High Carb, Low Fat Plant based (Vegan) diet for about a year now and had great results.  The greatest result being, feeling amazing, and full of energy, I can't help but want to workout constantly, go for bike rides and runs. 

Apps:
working out: jefit - super awesome
biking and running: strava - even more awesome

Diet info:  lots of fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch, and then something strarchy for dinner like potatoes, pasta, rice. I sub oatmeal for breakfast during the winter when it's hard to find sweet fruit. and yes,  no calorie restricting. ( I eat about 4k calories a day, it can take some time to heal your metabolism if you have damaged it)

Ignore that carbs = diabites propaganda, my blood sugar went from 120 to 80 by switching from the standard american diet to a high carb low fat plant based died.

Another perk, is pasta, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, are all super cheap.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
This is often considered extreme, but many MMM readers seem to have no problem with being extreme. I'v been following a High Carb, Low Fat Plant based (Vegan) diet for about a year now and had great results.  The greatest result being, feeling amazing, and full of energy, I can't help but want to workout constantly, go for bike rides and runs. 

Apps:
working out: jefit - super awesome
biking and running: strava - even more awesome

Diet info:  lots of fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch, and then something strarchy for dinner like potatoes, pasta, rice. I sub oatmeal for breakfast during the winter when it's hard to find sweet fruit. and yes,  no calorie restricting. ( I eat about 4k calories a day, it can take some time to heal your metabolism if you have damaged it)

Ignore that carbs = diabites propaganda, my blood sugar went from 120 to 80 by switching from the standard american diet to a high carb low fat plant based died.

Another perk, is pasta, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, are all super cheap.
I'm sorry, but this is very likely a personal genetic thing.

My blood sugar stabilized and I lost weight pretty much effortlessly when I finally gave up wheat and most grain. 

I found that after 40, I simply can't eat the amount of carbs that I ate when younger.  So I stick to low GI when I do (beans, some fruits).

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect but just wanted to update things here... as of late my levels are even higher than when I posted before. Blood pressure is higher, cholesterol is pretty high, and hemoglobin (diabetes) is on the higher side. I'm probably about 15-20lbs overweight than where I really should be.

Just had a baby so now it's hitting home harder that I need to do something. I'm probably gonna start running again. For a while, while my car was broke, I was biking into work (for a couple months) but while that was great, it probably wasn't contributing *that* much in the overall picture since I didn't do any other form of exercise. I do have some weights laying around the house so will try to get back into lifting.

I don't know... what do you guys do to stay motivated? And also, what routines would you suggest? I know everyone's body is different and that different exercises work for different people. The workouts ingrained in my head from the past are basically running a couple miles and then lifting weights and or doing the most basic body weight exercises: crunches and push-ups. Any tips on improving the regimen or mixing it up? I was doing the group exercise thing and the 'addiction' only lasted for a little while before I got lazy and didn't want to wake up early anymore. Didn't mean I had to stop and that I couldn't workout later in the day or at night though, which is pretty much what I'll probably end up doing moving forward.

It's time to stop trying to find excuses and just to go out and do it. But any advice along the way would be helpful too...

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:54:06 PM by jplee3 »

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
First off, people saying that fitness is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, you're wrong. It's the other way around, 20% nutrition 80% exercise. However for weight loss, it's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise.

Next, OP, If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than you use. Find out what your TDE (total daily expenditure) is, then eat 750 calories less than that much. Yes you will have to count calories, if you go out and have a big lunch and fill up your calories for the day, then don't eat dinner. You should lose a little more than 1lb per week this way, weigh yourself at the same time every day, if you don't lose a pound for 2 consecutive weeks, your metabolism or TDE could have changed, start eating even less calories. Good Luck!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 05:21:59 PM »
A reason from within. Like how u want to FIRE. Support system or at least via social media (Instagram). I find u really have to motivate urself and this is coming after working out for over 2.5 yrs. When u don't want to, go/do it bc you'll never regret that u did, but u may quickly forget that u didn't go & it turns into a habit. Exercising does become a good habit after a while, but really to me being internally motivated is best. As for the exercises just try everything until u find something u like & even then switch it up. For me food kills me more than the exercise but really food is 70% & exercise is like 30% (for weight loss) Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:24:20 PM by MrsCoolCat »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
I've struggled with my weight since childhood. With the added benefit that I have to stay within weight limits for my job. I get to the right point before weigh-ins, but not in a healthy way.

About 6 months ago I decided to fix myself for good. Tracking calories has always, always, always failed for me. Because of the scallion pancake factor. I'm too anal, and possibly too disorderd for the imprecision. Instead I decided to learn how to put the fork down when I was full.

As said, I suspect I had an eating disorder, so perhaps I'm a one off, but stopping exactly when I was full was surprisingly difficult to learn. I now eat without any stimulating distraction. I can listen to music, or an audio book, but TV, real books, and the computer can't be allowed. At first I resisted my own program, because I love eating while reading. I thought I would lose pleasure in my life. Now I find the food itself an experience. Zen types have been telling me this for a while, but it only took me about a decade to get with the program <durh>

For the first time in my life, I actively don't want food when I'm already full. There's no sacrificial denial, I just don't want food when I'm not hungry. It's amazing and wonderful. So, if you find counting calories makes you throw-things-and-scream crazy, there are other methods out there.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »
What has worked for me:

Intermittent fasting. 

Google Michael Mosley 5:2 diet.

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Just want to add my two cents in how I manage to lose the excess weight. 

I read a few diet books as a start to find out which one I could stick with.  I don't strictly follow any of the diets, but has taken certain aspects and created a hodgepodge version that works for me.  One change at a time until they become a habit seems to work really well.

1. Started with giving up sugared beverage (e.g. soda, OJ, smoothie, bubble tea).
2. Increase water intake by having a full glass at all time on my desk.
3. Shorten my feeding time to 10 hours (no food before 9am and after 7pm).
4. Aim for two salads for lunch per week eventually increasing to four salads (from M-Th with Friday being my binge day).
5. Incorporate volumetric eating (e.g. eating cucumber for snack flavored with tajin instead of chips).
6. Walk everywhere with a goal of reaching 10,000 steps 5x a week (M-F with weekend break)
7. The hardest part - cut back (but not eliminate) bread, pasta, rice and noodles.
8. Recently added a strength training session (40 min.) during weekend (may eventually increase this to twice a week).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:47:28 PM by step_away »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
Is there a decent and free Tabata/HIIT/Circuit Training app that has countdown timers as well as an editable list that you can add exercises to and just goes through the timed workout according to the list you created? There's so many stinkin apps out there it's hard to find one that specifically does this.

MaggieD

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »
I can't help but notice you said biking to work "was great" - is that not an option anymore with the baby?  Otherwise, why don't you start with getting back into that routine?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »
First off, people saying that fitness is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, you're wrong. It's the other way around, 20% nutrition 80% exercise. However for weight loss, it's 80% nutrition and 20% exercise.

Generally, this has been my experience. The trick is figuring out what your body really responds to in terms of nutrition. I have to exercise A LOT more eating a diet heavy in simple carbs, to retain good metabolic parameters and not gain weight more easily. However, eating a diet lower in simple carbs and sugar, but higher in healthy fats, tends to rev my metabolism to the point where I have to be careful of dropping weight via exercise (which is my current issue).

I have much more trouble sticking to exercise than my diet habits, though. I finally started doing a lot better a few years ago by reminding myself that my youthful ideas of a workout (endless aerobics, swimming, etc) needing to last at least an hour were blocking me from doing ANYTHING. I started a really simple rotation of short sessions with hand weights (or body weight), lower rep/higher weight if possible, along with brisk evening walks of 20-40 minutes alternating with short yoga sessions. If I feel lazy, I just tell myself I can do 10 minutes only, and then stop. Usually, I do more.

It's just a mental block I have: if it seems like too much of a time commitment, I'll procrastinate forever. If it's just 10 minutes of aerobics, or 2 or 3 short sets of weights, I can nearly always motivate myself.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 07:36:08 PM »
I can't help but notice you said biking to work "was great" - is that not an option anymore with the baby?  Otherwise, why don't you start with getting back into that routine?

Well, once my car was fixed (and especially the A/C), driving into work became a lot easier LOL! It has been tougher with the baby so far since I've been working from home. I probably could get back into it once I start going back in though.

Speaking of my earlier request on a good app, turns out the first one I blindly installed a little while ago fits my needs as far as I can tell - "Tabata Timer" by Simple Version

kittenwhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
I joined Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program. Lost about 40 lb, ran my first marathon ever, and my body naturally re-adjusted to a healthy diet. You can't eat garbage then go out and run 10 miles! Anyway, I raised about 2 grand of other people's money to help people with leukemia, got healthy at the same time, and made lots of new friends in the process! I'd highly recommend it.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
I joined Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program. Lost about 40 lb, ran my first marathon ever, and my body naturally re-adjusted to a healthy diet. You can't eat garbage then go out and run 10 miles! Anyway, I raised about 2 grand of other people's money to help people with leukemia, got healthy at the same time, and made lots of new friends in the process! I'd highly recommend it.

Nice! One of my friends from college who was pretty overweight, got into running about 6 years ago or so and ran his first marathon. Soon after, he started running for Team World Vision and now raises money from each race for clean water in impoverished areas. I think he's at least on his 5th or 6th marathon by now. He lost a ton of weight (to give you an idea, he was a linebacker in HS and at least around 250lbs... he's probably around the 200lb mark now)

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 04:25:08 AM »
date things here... as of late my levels are even higher than when I posted before. Blood pressure is higher, cholesterol is pretty high, and hemoglobin (diabetes) is on the higher side. I'm probably about 15-20lbs overweight than where I really should be.

JPlee3 you are in trouble, you know this right?

You need 3 things, diet exercise and please keep going to the doctors and take your meds if prescribed, you are heading  into diabetes type two ( evidenced by high hemoglobin A1C), high blood pressure and cholesterol frequently come with the package, google metabolic syndrome. I suspect part of your problem is genetic  which is not a choice/lifestyle that you can control( but actually you can control with meds).
I am not a doctor but I see a lot of people who are youngish and sick in the hospital and they have the same problems you do and develop kidney failure as a result  and or heart disease or both. I'm no expert but  but if you see your doctor maybe you can get professional help from a dietitian, insurance may pay.
In my humble opinion you should be scared of your future health problems, and work with your doctor to monitor your health, diabetes is no joke, it attacks the kidneys and cardiovascular system insidiously and that, as well as high cholesterol and you are set up to have a heart attack.

Sorry to be so harsh but wherr you gonna be when your kid is ten and you have been unmotivated. Try that group again, it takes practice to create healthy habits you can fail but you have to try again, people motivating eachother sounds like a start Maybe make a commitment to your partner or kid, baby steps You just have to get started.
good luck I wish you the best.

Catomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 06:18:06 AM »
How long ago did you have the baby? You have to give your body time to recover from pregnancy/birth. And if you're breastfeeding, that will affect your dietary requirements.

As far as motivation, what has worked for me is signing myself up for something. If I know I'm signed up for a 5k in a month (or two), then I'm much better about getting my workouts in. Or having an online group that was all doing the same workout, and checking in with them when I'd completed it. In the past I have done the following at home, with good results as long as I keep it up:
30 Day Shred (Jillian is annoying as hell, but the workouts are fairly effective and SHORT) - DVD
Couch to 5k (there are apps for this)
The New Rules of Lifting for Women (requires equipment, like a pretty comprehensive weights set, but REALLY good workouts) - book

Also, telling myself I'm going to work out during the afternoon nap (or whenever) and then doing that as soon as the baby is asleep has worked well for me. I can't give myself time to check email or sit down, or I will get sidetracked and lose motivation fast.

I also try to avoid processed foods, but this takes a ton of planning. Once A Month Mom or some other similar batch/freezer cooking might be helpful.

Congrats on the baby!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:32 AM »
As far as motivation, what has worked for me is signing myself up for something. If I know I'm signed up for a 5k in a month (or two), then I'm much better about getting my workouts in.

This works well for me too! Right now I'm training for a 35 mile Mountain bike race and a 10K turkey trot Thanksgiving morning.

Also for me doing something you enjoy is a huge key. mountain biking once  week is the highlight of my week, feels nothing like exercise. I used to try and work out/lift weights with kids and even set up some toys in the barn where I work out. But now I've found I would rather  get up early (6:00 am or so) and work out on my own before DW goes to work without the kids. Then I can blare my music and  focus on the workout instead of keeping an eye on kids.

Takes some experimentation to find what works for you/your  schedule.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2015, 08:11:37 AM »
I disagree with the people who are saying not to count calories. Knowing the cost of the food your eating is important for weight control. You check your spending habits in order to save more money?

Once you understand the calorie cost of each food, its easyer to maintain your weight with out doing much work to figure out your caloric intake.

Start with one daily habit and replace it with a lower calorie option. Keep doing this and watch the weight go away  effortlessly.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
date things here... as of late my levels are even higher than when I posted before. Blood pressure is higher, cholesterol is pretty high, and hemoglobin (diabetes) is on the higher side. I'm probably about 15-20lbs overweight than where I really should be.

JPlee3 you are in trouble, you know this right?

You need 3 things, diet exercise and please keep going to the doctors and take your meds if prescribed, you are heading  into diabetes type two ( evidenced by high hemoglobin A1C), high blood pressure and cholesterol frequently come with the package, google metabolic syndrome. I suspect part of your problem is genetic  which is not a choice/lifestyle that you can control( but actually you can control with meds).
I am not a doctor but I see a lot of people who are youngish and sick in the hospital and they have the same problems you do and develop kidney failure as a result  and or heart disease or both. I'm no expert but  but if you see your doctor maybe you can get professional help from a dietitian, insurance may pay.
In my humble opinion you should be scared of your future health problems, and work with your doctor to monitor your health, diabetes is no joke, it attacks the kidneys and cardiovascular system insidiously and that, as well as high cholesterol and you are set up to have a heart attack.

Sorry to be so harsh but wherr you gonna be when your kid is ten and you have been unmotivated. Try that group again, it takes practice to create healthy habits you can fail but you have to try again, people motivating eachother sounds like a start Maybe make a commitment to your partner or kid, baby steps You just have to get started.
good luck I wish you the best.

Yeah, I just went through a Tabata routine yesterday in the garage. I think the garage is gonna be my new workout room. My doctor already prescribed BP medicine but is slow to submitting it to the online/mail pharmacy we use. But yea, my grandmother suffered diabetes and both my parents have tendencies towards higher BP and cholesterol levels. My dad already had an angioplasty and was on the verge of a stroke before getting triple bypass surgery. So my outlook isn't good. For a while a couple years back I was relegated to a healthier diet and exercise, and then it dropped off when the fall and winter holidays came around. But my levels never reached as high as they are now either - for the most part I was just borderline high on cholesterol. The BP and diabetes are recent developments, and now that all these things have stacked up, I seriously need to exercise and go run (I can tell that even my body is *screaming* for it). Yesterday, I had my first workout session in a long time. It wasn't crazy long but it was pretty intense. I hope to get more of those in every day. And maybe a run every other as well.  And as for my diet, I've been eating pretty crappily for the past month. we had a panel at work at my cholesterol levels were *way* lower. But after that we were just eating out and not caring... so gonna have to get back to my oat bran, greek yogurt, and vegetable/chicken/fish-centric diet. Good thing is, as far as diet, those things were working for me previously for cholesterol. And I think they'll work again, so I'm gonna give it a shot. It does take a ton of discipline to keep up though.

But if none of this helps much, which I hope is not the case, I will have to be relegated to meds. At this point it's more the sugar levels and BP that concern me than the cholesterol. So I think prioritizing getting those down is higher up on the list. I have a lot of reservations about being put on statins [especially since it's a "for the rest of your life" kind of a thing].

Thanks for the butt-kick and facepunch. I need more of this poor-health shaming, so pour it on guys!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
I disagree with the people who are saying not to count calories. Knowing the cost of the food your eating is important for weight control. You check your spending habits in order to save more money?

Once you understand the calorie cost of each food, its easyer to maintain your weight with out doing much work to figure out your caloric intake.

Start with one daily habit and replace it with a lower calorie option. Keep doing this and watch the weight go away  effortlessly.

I was using MyFitnessPal for a while, and I noticed I was losing some weight. For a time it was a lb a week I think, and then it sort of plateaued. Then I just got lazy and unmotivated and stopped tracking all together. It was just tedious for me to log everything I ate... but that's also a good sign that I probably might have been eating too much. I feel like, psychologically, journaling not only records your intake, but it indirectly helps you only eat what's *necessary* - and usually when I was journaling, I would "plan" out what I was gonna eat for the day. It would really suck if I snacked on a bunch of crap and then had to journal it all - that's probably why I stopped! This is another one of those things that takes a lot of discipline but I do think it helps as well.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
How long ago did you have the baby? You have to give your body time to recover from pregnancy/birth. And if you're breastfeeding, that will affect your dietary requirements.

As far as motivation, what has worked for me is signing myself up for something. If I know I'm signed up for a 5k in a month (or two), then I'm much better about getting my workouts in. Or having an online group that was all doing the same workout, and checking in with them when I'd completed it. In the past I have done the following at home, with good results as long as I keep it up:
30 Day Shred (Jillian is annoying as hell, but the workouts are fairly effective and SHORT) - DVD
Couch to 5k (there are apps for this)
The New Rules of Lifting for Women (requires equipment, like a pretty comprehensive weights set, but REALLY good workouts) - book

Also, telling myself I'm going to work out during the afternoon nap (or whenever) and then doing that as soon as the baby is asleep has worked well for me. I can't give myself time to check email or sit down, or I will get sidetracked and lose motivation fast.

I also try to avoid processed foods, but this takes a ton of planning. Once A Month Mom or some other similar batch/freezer cooking might be helpful.

Congrats on the baby!

Haha thanks. My wife is the one recovering right now, so I definitely have no excuses as far as that is concerned. I never really got into the Youtube/DVD workouts - I find it's easier for me to get frustrated when I can't keep up and they've already on the 10th exercise by the time I'm on the second. So group exercises generally bode better for me. But DIY Tabata isn't bad either - I've found the best thing that keeps me accountable to keep going, for the most part, is a timer - not someone screaming in my face to keep going (although that can help sometimes). It's kinda like when you're sick and feel really terrible but figure out ways to get through it, and one of the ways that just pisses you off is when your SO or parents check on you and talk to you every 30 seconds thinking it'll make you feel better... I digress. Signing up for a race is a good idea, though I tend to get overly competitive with those things and get really hard on myself when I don't do as well as I wanted to. Self-workouts tend to be best for me I think, but it's just a matter of getting off my butt.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »
While there is a lot of good advice in this thread, much of which has worked with me (paleo, activity vs. exercise, etc.), there is another factor altogether that we haven't discussed.

You are specifically asking about motivation. In my experience, you cannot force yourself to be motivated. Things in life have to line up. When I am struggling with my eating, when I cannot seem to get motivated to do my workout, when I'm not sleeping well, etc... it means there are other things going on in my life, different possible types of stress, that really need my focus before I can get on track. I only have so much energy.

Right now, I'm going through this - while normally a very active person and a very clean eater, I have not been able to motivate myself to workout, and all I want to eat is crap food. It doesn't matter how much I know this is bad for me...I got some shit going on. I am going through a massive amount of professional stress, have been interviewing and figuring out what I want to do with my life, and all of my energy is going to get this sorted out.

Based on experience, once I "fix" that problem, get back to an even emotional keel, the rest all comes back and maintaining a healthy life style is, well, not effortless, but doesn't feel like so much work.

If motivation is your issue, I'd look at other areas of stress in your life and address them. If you have a new baby...well, there's a glaring red flag that you've had some major life changes, lol.

(The catch-22 is that regular exercise and healthy diet can help you deal with stress - but sometimes you just gotta focus on one thing at a time and cut yourself some slack if things have gotten too out of hand).

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
I am not overweight (never had a weight problem, my body type is slim but runs to flab if not exercising) for me it is more 80% exercise/activity and 20% diet. That said I generally eat reasonably well (my Dad is Greek American so was raised on a Mediterranean influenced diet) with a few weaknesses thrown in.

Anyways I think the percentage of what is more important would really vary by person. For me how I look and feel depends a lot more on my physical activity/exercise than diet. This may also be my prejudice because the people who are telling me it's all about diet, are the ones who are always struggling with their weight and are on different diets.
Now that I am in my later 40's, I basically have to do much more intense exercise (aerobic, weight bearing) to continue how I looked when I was younger. No diet is going to get me there. 
That said if you have an issue with eating too much, not good foods what any nutritionist would say is to keep a log of what foods and the amounts of what foods you are eating. Include everything such as snacking, drinks, etc. It may also be helpful to not go out to eat during this time and cook at home you have control over what you are eating. Good luck! If you are successful with your changes and make them a new lifestyle I wouldn't be surprised if you can kick those meds as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:07:23 AM by partgypsy »

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »
As others have said, flab control is MOSTLY about diet.  Instead of counting calories, get the following out of your life (except maybe for a few holiday meals):

1.  White flour (this is metabollically like sugar).
2.  Sugar/corn syrup/fruit juice (it's all the same:  sugar).  DO Eat FRUIT, don't drink juice.
3.  Processed meats.
4.  Cakes, cookies, candy, sweets.
5.  Drink as little as possible while trying to shed.  If you have to, no more than 2 non-sugary drinks.
6.  Processed carbohydrates (Fritos, nachos, poptarts, hot pockets, etc.).  Best carbs:  Think Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts (watch the portions!).

Your diet needs to be mainly PLANT BASED (veggies and fruits)!!  Small lean meat portions (size of a deck of cards).

As far as exercise, what do you enjoy?  Find something you like and do it.  If you don't like anything, find something.  For example, I HATE treadmills, but enjoy cycling and stairclimbing.  Do it consistenly.

You should get weight training into the mix as well.  Find a buddy to partner with you or some videos/magazines or MAYBE hire a trainer to get you started.  This will help as building muscles builds up your metabolism rate and tones you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:25:58 AM by frugaliknowit »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 12:20:33 PM »
As others have said, flab control is MOSTLY about diet.  Instead of counting calories, get the following out of your life (except maybe for a few holiday meals):

2.  Sugar/corn syrup/fruit juice (it's all the same:  sugar).  DO Eat FRUIT, don't drink juice.
3.  Processed meats.
5.  Drink as little as possible while trying to shed.  If you have to, no more than 2 non-sugary drinks.
6.  Processed carbohydrates (Fritos, nachos, poptarts, hot pockets, etc.).  Best carbs:  Think Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts (watch the portions!).

Your diet needs to be mainly PLANT BASED (veggies and fruits)!!  Small lean meat portions (size of a deck of cards).

As far as exercise, what do you enjoy?  Find something you like and do it.  If you don't like anything, find something.  For example, I HATE treadmills, but enjoy cycling and stairclimbing.  Do it consistenly.

You should get weight training into the mix as well.  Find a buddy to partner with you or some videos/magazines or MAYBE hire a trainer to get you started.  This will help as building muscles builds up your metabolism rate and tones you.

I totally agree with this post. ESPECIALLY if you have problems with blood sugar. I have a metabolic condition similar to diabetes, which puts me at risk of diabetes. I got it under control and really improved my blood sugar swings by essentially cutting sugar and simple carbs, and doing light, regular exercise. I had trouble with pounds creeping on in my 20s and 30s, but now after a decade of eating this way...in my mid 40s I struggle to GAIN weight eating the way I do; hell, I have to glop 1/4-cups of nut oil or olive oil onto meals, or lift heavy weights, to push my weight up even a few pounds.

One problem with metabolic syndromes is that there tends to be a chicken/egg type cycle, where you either 1) gain some weight and this exacerbates the poor glucose processing, abnormal metabolic profile, which in turn makes weight gain even MORE likely; or 2) you eat crappy, simple carb heavy food, which in turn leads to crappy metabolic profile, and thus predisposes you to more weight gain. Then you start number 1 and the cycle worsens.

It's really insidious. To improve your health: YOU HAVE TO STOP EATING CRAP. And (I'm not sure this has been emphasized enough)...YOU CAN'T APPROACH IT AS A 'DIET'. You have to change how you eat PERMANENTLY, or the problems will come right back at you.

So take one thing at a time, as noted in the quoted post above, and work it until it's a permanent change. Then go on the the next thing. It's actually astounding how much sugar is hidden in food. ONE friggin Yoplait yogurt (one of the tiny ones) is nearly the entire day's worth of recommended added sugar.

My own experience, unfortunately, to really get control of this, you essentially have to cut out entire groups of food: simple carbs (sugar, white rice, white flour, baked potatoes, etc) and substitute in more nutrient dense, lower glycemic stuff: brown rice, sweet potatos, whole grains, tons more veggies.  I still occasionally indulge, but it's like once every few weeks, not once per day.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
I agree with the above advice and would like to add that I find MarksDailyApple an excellent resource http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »

3.  Processed meats.

Quoting everything here for truth, except I'd say don't be afraid of meat, even fattier cuts like chicken legs/thighs and steaks. I find that I am able to keep from gaining weight best when I'm on a high-protein diet, around a pound of cooked meat per day. I get my fat portion from the meat and cooking fats (coconut oil, olive oil, butter), and carbs from sweet potato, rice, bean, and oats. Lots of green veggies on the side that I don't bother to count (brussel sprouts, broccoli, bell pepper, green beans, etc).

For people who have no idea where to start, I find that entering your daily food into Wolfram Alpha to see the calories and macronutrient ratio is really helpful. Start with super simple foods. For example, here is a typical day for me this week:

serving sizes (total: 1570 g)
       egg:  4 eggs (140 g)
       bacon:  2 slices (14 g)
       chicken thigh:  16 oz (454 g)
       white rice:  2 cups (410 g)
       refried beans:  2 cups (480 g)
       raw quick cook steel cut oats:  60 g
       butter:  1 tsp (5 g)
       honey:  1 tsp (7 g)
total calories  2597 | fat calories  944
% daily value^* | 
  total fat  102 g | 157%
       saturated fat  29 g | 146%
       trans fat  2 g |
  cholesterol  1 g | 325%
  sodium  4 g | 166%
  total carbohydrates  236 g | 79%
       dietary fiber  25 g | 98%
       sugar  16 g |
  protein  172 g | 344%

I get my 1g protein per lb body weight, and don't eat much variety, but that's perfect for keeping it simple.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2015, 08:32:35 AM »
Besides exercising regularly and eating healthy (clean) the only thing I can add to all of the great suggestions people have already given you is to drink a lot of water..... I mean a LOT!

Start out drinking at least 1/2 gallon and work up to 1 gallon per day. Many times people snack and eat thinking they're hungry, but in reality they are dehydrated.

Good health to you!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
Besides exercising regularly and eating healthy (clean) the only thing I can add to all of the great suggestions people have already given you is to drink a lot of water..... I mean a LOT!

Start out drinking at least 1/2 gallon and work up to 1 gallon per day. Many times people snack and eat thinking they're hungry, but in reality they are dehydrated.

Good health to you!

+1000 - I tell my wife this ALL the time. Even in the morning she will go right to eating breakfast; I'm like aren't your thirsty? I drink 2 glasses of water every morning before I even drink my coffee.

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
Consistency is key, find out what makes you stick to things.

Here's an example from my life: I currently rent in an apartment that has a terrible (but free) gym. 1 universal cable machine and a few pieces of cardio equipment that essentially nobody is ever in. In college we had a full weightroom.

I thought I was being super thrifty and mustachian by saying: "I can just walk across the street to my apartment gym and work out for free!" *pats self on back*

... I could never go with any consistency, it sucked. I wanted to do my heavy barbell squats, my deadlifts, my cleans, hell even dumbell curls.

I joined a gym within walking distance (~1 mile), ends up being $40 bucks a month with my corporate discount. I've been steady for a few months now and am consistently adding weight to my sets day after day. (I was much stronger in college than I am today, it's like beginner gains all over again).

Find what works for you to make you consistent. One thing I like to do is print out an entire year paper calendar and hang it on the wall. (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/create.html?year=2015) every day I go to the gym I highlight the date green.

If I miss a day I color it in red. I haven't missed a day yet but I assure you there's a mental urgency in my head to keep the greens going.

Best of luck to you!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »

Not to discount the importance of switching to healthier foods, but I agree that calorie counting also has its place. When one is trying to lose weight, it's easy to eat too few calories, and then you end up hungry and quitting the diet. That's one thing that Weight Watchers does really well -- the point system is designed for slow and steady weight loss, and helps you figure out appropriate portion sizes.

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »
I would say the easiest and least time-intensive way to be fit is to limit carbohydrate intake and take on a basic powerlifting program.  2-3 days a week of squats, deadlifts, presses and bench presses.  Then stop buying bread, pasta, etc.  That and get a bike and drive as little as possible.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »
I agree with a lot of the paleo/primal leaning advice here.  First step is simply to remove the crap from your diet.  Grains, sugar, and alcohol.  Even if the rest of your diet/exercise is perfect, these things can/will wreck it. 

I'm not anti-starch or really even low-carb.  I think starches are fine, just use things like tubers, bananas/plantains, beans/legumes, and even rice as long as it's parboiled  (which is high in resistant starch). 

I've tried a bunch of different exercises, gym memberships, hell I even played football, basketball, and ran track in high school and college.  As a mustachian, the best resistance program I've found is Convict Conditioning - it is all based around old body-weight training and starts you off in a very basic and easy (very easy) manner, and slowly builds up your skill/strength over time.  Personally I love it - I lifted heavy weights in a gym for many, many years and I find the body weight training to actually leave me MUCH more fit from a "dealign with whatever life throws at me" standpoint.  It's one thing to be able to do some bench presses in a gym.  It's quite another thing to be able to do actually move your own body around under control via well-executed pushups or pull-ups, etc...  The body weight work doesn't just make you stronger, it also gives you much more control over your body. 

For aerobic exercise, I have fully embraced my bike-riding mustache.  Any/all errands within a 5 mile radius of my house get done via bike, period.  On days with no errands, I take it for 2 laps around the local lake.  I love the bike because if I'm riding on flat land I can just crank it in to 5th or 6th gear and still some additional resistance.  Or, if I'm feeling weak/lazy, I can leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear and still get my ride in. 

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
You can't out exercise a bad diet.  After 30 it's 80% diet.
+1 especially for fat loss. Weight loss is mostly about diet; weight maintenance is mostly about exercise. It's great to get into good exercise habits while losing weight, but the difficulty many have is that their calorie consumption increases with their activity levels, sometimes even moreso, and all the extra exercise doesn't lead to much weight loss (though it may lead to some fat loss). Moderate exercise and strict diet (note: this does not necessarily mean counting calories) to lose weight; moderate diet and consistent exercise to maintain your new setpoint.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html/
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html/

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
I agree with a lot of the paleo/primal leaning advice here.  First step is simply to remove the crap from your diet.  Grains, sugar, and alcohol.  Even if the rest of your diet/exercise is perfect, these things can/will wreck it. 

I'm not anti-starch or really even low-carb.  I think starches are fine, just use things like tubers, bananas/plantains, beans/legumes, and even rice as long as it's parboiled  (which is high in resistant starch). 

I've tried a bunch of different exercises, gym memberships, hell I even played football, basketball, and ran track in high school and college.  As a mustachian, the best resistance program I've found is Convict Conditioning - it is all based around old body-weight training and starts you off in a very basic and easy (very easy) manner, and slowly builds up your skill/strength over time.  Personally I love it - I lifted heavy weights in a gym for many, many years and I find the body weight training to actually leave me MUCH more fit from a "dealign with whatever life throws at me" standpoint.  It's one thing to be able to do some bench presses in a gym.  It's quite another thing to be able to do actually move your own body around under control via well-executed pushups or pull-ups, etc...  The body weight work doesn't just make you stronger, it also gives you much more control over your body. 

For aerobic exercise, I have fully embraced my bike-riding mustache.  Any/all errands within a 5 mile radius of my house get done via bike, period.  On days with no errands, I take it for 2 laps around the local lake.  I love the bike because if I'm riding on flat land I can just crank it in to 5th or 6th gear and still some additional resistance.  Or, if I'm feeling weak/lazy, I can leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear and still get my ride in.

RE: Convict Conditioning... is this it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpJ-zZleac&list=PLAJF1I8DuU3JOYEtcTIRtmyXA6ZqbCZOr ?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »

RE: Convict Conditioning... is this it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpJ-zZleac&list=PLAJF1I8DuU3JOYEtcTIRtmyXA6ZqbCZOr ?

Yes, that is exactly it.  My strong advice - start at step 1 for every exercise and do not skip ahead or try to rush through them.  There are lots of important things that your body learns in the easier steps that are hard to get right if you skip ahead to the more advanced steps.  It's a slower, more methodical approach than most programs, but that IMO is it's strength. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »

Yes, that is exactly it.  My strong advice - start at step 1 for every exercise and do not skip ahead or try to rush through them.  There are lots of important things that your body learns in the easier steps that are hard to get right if you skip ahead to the more advanced steps.  It's a slower, more methodical approach than most programs, but that IMO is it's strength.

Nice. I'll check it out. But does it give you a decent 'cardio' workout like if I were just to do Tabata/HIIT? I wonder if it would be a good idea to alternate and do Tabata/HIIT one day and Convict the other.

BTW: is that Youtube playlist the *full* series of Convict Conditioning? Or is there a ton more footage/exercises?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:19:37 PM by jplee3 »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
Yeah, it's just 6 movements - Pushups, Pullups, Squats, Abs, and Bridges.  Here's a good cheat sheet:

http://www.4hourlife.com/2012/08/20/the-6-workouts-tim-ferriss-would-do-in-prison-convict-conditioning/

CC is not cardio at all.  Just strength.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
Yeah, it's just 6 movements - Pushups, Pullups, Squats, Abs, and Bridges.  Here's a good cheat sheet:

http://www.4hourlife.com/2012/08/20/the-6-workouts-tim-ferriss-would-do-in-prison-convict-conditioning/

CC is not cardio at all.  Just strength.

ooh I'm going to look into this. I want to get a routine that works the core but is simple enough I will not blow it off. My favorite exercise video (flow yoga) is great but I skip due to time. Be nice something shorter I can alternate with.
ps here is my favorite yoga program, his "flow" program.
http://www.amazon.com/Element-Hatha-Flow-Yoga-Beginners/dp/B005QUQRDS/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1442871464&sr=1-2&keywords=flow+yoga

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:39:02 PM by partgypsy »

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
There's a husband wife team who as a site called fitness blender.    Some seriously intense exercises.   

http://www.fitnessblender.com/

+1 I have been doing Fitness Blender workouts for about a year now, and I can't get enough of it. I used to do a similar HIIT workout called Prime Mover but when I reached the highest level, I started to look elsewhere. Fitness Blender has it all, from a short 20 minute HIIT to a 40 minute HITT/Cardio. I do a daily workout and I have never felt better. I can't recommend it enough.

I would recommend this 37-minute workout, modified if needed, for a beginner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN37TxBE_s
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:16:49 PM by ykphil »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »
There's a husband wife team who as a site called fitness blender.    Some seriously intense exercises.   

http://www.fitnessblender.com/

+1 I have been doing Fitness Blender workouts for about a year now, and I can't get enough of it. I used to do a similar HIIT workout called Prime Mover but when I reached the highest level, I started to look elsewhere. Fitness Blender has it all, from a short 20 minute HIIT to a 40 minute HITT/Cardio. I do a daily workout and I have never felt better. I can't recommend it enough.

I would recommend this 37-minute workout, modified if needed, for a beginner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN37TxBE_s

I started following this guy and following his 35min 500calorie HIIT workouts - https://www.youtube.com/user/yaboymillhoy

He's pretty intense and 3/4 of my shirt gets drenched in sweat every time I do his workouts... I know sweat isn't a good indicator of how good of a workout you got in but it doesn't hurt give some sort of satisfaction/motivation lol; I'm also doing the workouts in my garage, where it gets stuffy and hot so that probably is another factor.

Anyway, I do like his intensity but it's kinda hard to clearly hear what he's saying a lot of the time. But it's not too hard picking up and following most of the moves. Some of the moves are just ridiculous but I just try to 'modify' or simplify them a bit if I can't do them. There's one where he does high jumps and touches his knees, then his toes, then the inside of his feet and then the back sides like for each jump... it's so ridiculous if you're not super-coordinated - I lost quite a bit of coordination after I stopped consistently playing bball years ago; I'm scared to step foot on another court cause I'll probably get lit up and my ankles broken hahaha.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
After reading too many articles about sedentary working conditions I sprung for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Height-Adjustable-Standing-Desk-VARIDESK-Black/dp/B00JI6NCCK/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1442948350&sr=1-1&keywords=varidesk

Would have liked a full standing desk, but that won't fit into my cubicle blueprint.

Obviously it wasn't cheap but my health is worth it.

BeardedLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect but just wanted to update things here... as of late my levels are even higher than when I posted before. Blood pressure is higher, cholesterol is pretty high, and hemoglobin (diabetes) is on the higher side. I'm probably about 15-20lbs overweight than where I really should be.

Just had a baby so now it's hitting home harder that I need to do something. I'm probably gonna start running again. For a while, while my car was broke, I was biking into work (for a couple months) but while that was great, it probably wasn't contributing *that* much in the overall picture since I didn't do any other form of exercise. I do have some weights laying around the house so will try to get back into lifting.

I don't know... what do you guys do to stay motivated? And also, what routines would you suggest? I know everyone's body is different and that different exercises work for different people. The workouts ingrained in my head from the past are basically running a couple miles and then lifting weights and or doing the most basic body weight exercises: crunches and push-ups. Any tips on improving the regimen or mixing it up? I was doing the group exercise thing and the 'addiction' only lasted for a little while before I got lazy and didn't want to wake up early anymore. Didn't mean I had to stop and that I couldn't workout later in the day or at night though, which is pretty much what I'll probably end up doing moving forward.

It's time to stop trying to find excuses and just to go out and do it. But any advice along the way would be helpful too...

Thanks all!

I have not read all the comments, so I apologize if I am repeating someone.

You don't need motivation, you need discipline. Motivation means you need to "feel like it" before you start working out or eating right. Easy at first, but quickly wanes. You need to make a plan and stick to it. Find out a good accountability system that works for you. Everyone is different, so specific suggestions are not always going to help you. Are you better with a new habit if you tell someone about it or have a workout buddy (external accountability) or do you function best by keeping a calendar and marking the successful days or some other way of keeping yourself going on your own (internal accountability)?

I would also suggest reading Better than Before. It deals with how to form new habits, which is what anyone trying to lose weight really needs. It will help you identify methods that work best for you, not what works for someone else.

zoltani

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »
In your first post you said that it is difficult for you do do things in the name of "fitness". I agree with this 100% and I have never really done things in the name of "fitness", I do them because they are fun and I enjoy them.

Riding Bike - Fun, easy to do when you enjoy pedaling down a country road for a few hours.

Hiking - Going out for a walk seems boring, in the name of fitness even more so, hiking is fun. Carrying a heavy pack while hiking further increases the exercise you will get. For real bonus points do water carries, fill up a few 1 gallon water jugs and hike up in elevation as much as you can, when you reach your high point dump the water to save your knees while descending.

Climbing - The only gym I go to is a climbing gym, it is FUN, and I end up doing core work and weights just because they are there. Climbing outside usually involves walking with heavy pack (see hiking)

Mowing Lawn - i've got a reel mower, while maybe not fun I still kind of enjoy pushing that thing around

Swimming - swimming is fun, and even better if the pool you go to has sauna and hot tub

Sex - yeah i said it