Author Topic: OhmConnect vs local utility rebates/incentives?  (Read 4445 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
OhmConnect vs local utility rebates/incentives?
« on: September 30, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on participating in OhmConnect vs incentive/savings/rebate programs offered through the local utility company(ies)? First, I am looking into picking up an EcoBee3 and can get a discount either buying via OhmConnect or I can go the route of participating in SoCal Edison's program and getting a $125 rebate on purchase of EcoBee or other thermostat + up to $60 of incentives for their save power days, etc. I actually participate in their summer discount program, which can be miserable at times in cases where it's really warm outside and they override/cycle-off the AC so it can't even be manually turned back on until the cycling period is over (also, it's not always accurate when they deactivate/activate the killswitch). OhmConnect seems a little more flexible in that sense, and the 'savings' potential seems greater. Does anyone use OhmConnect or participate in their local electric company's savings programs? Or have any of you used one and switched to another? Pros & cons? Is OhmConnect a no-brainer?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: OhmConnect vs local utility rebates/incentives?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 10:02:15 AM »
Anybody?

Through Ohmconnect, the Ecobee would be around $120 with their promotion code.

If I, for instance, got the Ecobee from Amazon ($249 including the Amazon Echo Dot), and then signed up with the SCE program, the rebate would be $125, so the Ecobee + Dot would end up at $124 (selling the Dot would probably garner another $40-50 back, just in estimation).

I guess the question is if the SCE 'cycling/saver' program is better than Ohmconnect or if Ohmconnect is the way to go in the long-run.

rhadams1988

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »
I'm not from California so I'm not super familiar with ohmconnect, but I work with utility energy efficiency programs at my job. So Ohmconnect is getting paid from your regional transmission authority for being able to shift and reduce load. That's the same thing that SCE is doing. However, ohmconnect needs to make a profit, and SCE doesn't. This is all speculation, but I would guess that the SCE option is a better deal for you based on what I know about other utility programs.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:36:07 PM »
I'm not from California so I'm not super familiar with ohmconnect, but I work with utility energy efficiency programs at my job. So Ohmconnect is getting paid from your regional transmission authority for being able to shift and reduce load. That's the same thing that SCE is doing. However, ohmconnect needs to make a profit, and SCE doesn't. This is all speculation, but I would guess that the SCE option is a better deal for you based on what I know about other utility programs.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards signing up first with SCE because the rebate amount is pretty good and the Ecobee3+Echo Dot combo is basically 'discounting' the Ecobee3 (e.g. if you sell the Dot). Seems like more money back up front this way. Then, if it turns out Ohmconnect can save me more in the long run, maybe I can switch over at a later time. As far as $$$ spent up front though, I do think the SCE route is better.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
I use ohmconnect, but I plan to stop. I already use very little electricity. When you don't use much, these demand-response companies offer very little in the way of payout, since they pay in terms of absolute difference between your average usage and the amount used during their high demand periods.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »
I use ohmconnect, but I plan to stop. I already use very little electricity. When you don't use much, these demand-response companies offer very little in the way of payout, since they pay in terms of absolute difference between your average usage and the amount used during their high demand periods.

So I've had the ecobee for nearly a year since posting and was on SCE's save power day plan. I recently switched over to Ohmconnect to see if that will be any better. I don't think I was saving a whole lot with the save power day plan but not sure how much I'll save with Ohmconnect either. I do run the [central] AC so the power bill can get relatively high especially this time of year and with the recent heatwave. The electric bill has been over $100 pretty consistently the past few months. I need to make one of those makeshift ACs people have been building: blow a fan into a cooler full of ice or wrap copper coil around the front of one hooked up to an aquarium pump running water through a cooler full of ice.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »
I need to make one of those makeshift ACs people have been building: blow a fan into a cooler full of ice or wrap copper coil around the front of one hooked up to an aquarium pump running water through a cooler full of ice.

The cooler full of ice will only work if you don't make the ice you used. Generating the ice produces heat by the fridge. Running a fan to blow air on the ice produces head by the fan. You're gaining more heat in the house if you make the ice you use to cool your house. I believe the law of conservation of energy applies here.

I'm going to sign up for OhmConnect though. Looks pretty neat.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
I need to make one of those makeshift ACs people have been building: blow a fan into a cooler full of ice or wrap copper coil around the front of one hooked up to an aquarium pump running water through a cooler full of ice.

The cooler full of ice will only work if you don't make the ice you used. Generating the ice produces heat by the fridge. Running a fan to blow air on the ice produces head by the fan. You're gaining more heat in the house if you make the ice you use to cool your house. I believe the law of conservation of energy applies here.

I'm going to sign up for OhmConnect though. Looks pretty neat.

We have a chest freezer in the garage and I have a number of ice packs. Otherwise, I figure you could always just fill an old milk gallon with water and freeze it no?