Author Topic: Odd Job income for play money selfish/stupid?  (Read 4613 times)

livetogive

• Stubble
Odd Job income for play money selfish/stupid?
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:41:31 PM »
Hi All,

I'm on a salary and don't really have the option of working more to make more money, but I also have a second part time job that brings in ~$500 per month that I put 100% towards savings (in addition to other savings from regular income). Occasionally I'll pick up an odd job here or there that can pay anywhere from $20 - $250.  My SO knows about themand doesn't seem to mind them.

1.) Is it selfish to let my SO know I'm doing these extra jobs but keep the money for "fun" money?  (Like a pair of bicyling shoes or a gadget of some kind)

2.)  Am I missing the point of being mustachian by only wanting to do these extra odd jobs because I have my eye on a gadget or a pair of shoes? 

I have to work this weekend but found an odd job this Friday night.  I agreed to do it so I can buy a pair of bicycle shoes, but now I'm wondering if that's missing the whole point and just feeding into consumerism/taking away from the shared pot of my SO and I.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Re: Odd Job income for play money selfish/stupid?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
Perfectly reasonable. Mustachianism is about making thoughtful choices about your time and money, not necessarily about spending as little as possible, no matter how much you work.

My husband does something similar. He has a second job that he doesn't need to have, and he says the money is for fun purchases. But as he is pretty frugal, he never spends the whole extra amount that he makes. It just makes him feel better about the occasional splurge purchase.

How you and the SO split and deal with money is strictly between the two of you. If both of you are fine with how it's going, then no worries. Personally, I believe if someone chooses to work more, then they are entitled to that extra money. (As long as you're both in a decent financial position without the extra work and there's no other agreement in place.)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
2.)  Am I missing the point of being mustachian by only wanting to do these extra odd jobs because I have my eye on a gadget or a pair of shoes? 
It seems to me that you're answering the question "How hard/long am I willing to work to pay for this?"  It'll certainly align your spending with your values.

It may take time away from your relationship, but that's between you and your SO. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:49:41 AM »
It seems to me that you're answering the question "How hard/long am I willing to work to pay for this?"  It'll certainly align your spending with your values.

It may take time away from your relationship, but that's between you and your SO. 

Yes I agree with that. It's your life to lead, who's going to stop you?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:03:04 AM »
My wife is fully ok with any money I earn freelancing is mine to spend as I please. She's also fully ok if I put it into the joint savings account.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I realized I was only half right; keeping the extra money seems fine bc it also avoids spending other money but on the same hand, is it worth taking 4 hours away from my family for a pair of shoes?

I think i've come to a compromise:  I'm still going to do it but will use the money for (reasonable) Birthday/Christmas gifts or to pay for a family activity like vacation.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »
This makes perfect sense to me.  If you want something that's just plain frivolous, and you're not willing to take that out of the family budget, doing an odd job of some type to earn the money seems like a win-win. 

Now, if you're doing it on a weekly basis, I'd suspect that either your budget is unrealistic, or your "I want this new toy" meter is set a little high.  But if you're talking about an occasional splurge financed by an occasional odd job, yeah, it makes sense. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
Does SO mean married or otherwise combined finances?

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
I am just about to start a side thing - selling a product locally that I source from China - that should bring in $300 per month in profit.  This $ will be used to splurge on nice dinners, my main hobby of golf and assist in paying for future vacations.