Author Topic: NYC: Things to do  (Read 4760 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
NYC: Things to do
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
Any ideas for things to do that are free or cheap in NYC during the winter in the evenings? Exception to the rule would be food- if you have a suggestion for good food, if I can keep it under $50 (for a meal not including alcohol, since I don't drink anyway) that counts as "free".  Bonus if it is near the financial district, as that's where I have to stay.  Please don't suggest discount broadway tickets- I've seen everything playing right now that I'm interested in.  Nothing late night, I want to be asleep by 10.

I'm going on yet another business trip, and trying to figure out how to fill my time other than staying in and going to bed early. (Though that sounds fun too.)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: NYC: Things to do
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
Check out the New York Public Library, or local museums (especially the smaller ones), or local universities. They have programs aimed at local residents (although usually not limited to them) that are less expensive than the big tourist attractions but still pretty cool. I looked on the Juilliard website, for instance, and they have performances practically every day, most of which have tickets for the public. The Brooklyn Brainery, for another example, does classes on a million different topics. You would also get to meet some locals doing those kind of things, which would be a change from interacting with other travelers.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »
I'm sure it all depends on the weather, but I always enjoyed my hikes through Central Park and I haven't hiked over the Highline Park yet, but that would be on my agenda.  We've never done expensive eats in the city... It just doesn't thrill me.  I tried to look up names, but it's been a few years.  But, we enjoyed several low key spots close to the Upper West Side, near the Museum of Natural History.  I recall a great "serves everything" type of diner and a Greek place that knocked my socks off (sorry, that's not much help).  We avoided eats near Times Square and Grand Central.  My favorite area is around Union Square Park... lots of good diversions, including The Strand Bookstore.  We went to The Strand for several great book talks and if you like books it's quite a spectacle.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is open till 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. The suggested donation is $25 per adult, but I usually gave way, way less.

The Met is one of my favorite places on earth.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:19:13 PM »
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is open till 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. The suggested donation is $25 per adult, but I usually gave way, way less.

I'll keep this in mind if I ever have a trip that extends to the weekend. It's usually Sun (or Mon) through Thursday. But I go a lot and it varies. Never stay a Saturday night unless the savings on the flight is more than the hotel.

cranky_in_nyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »
Check out The Skint website, it has tons of free or cheap activities.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:30 PM »
Riding the staten island ferry! bundle up and stay inside.

Walking the brooklyn bridge is also great.

And chinatown has tasty cheap food. dim sum if you can get a group. i love congee village.

All of that is near FiDi.

I've always meant to go here: http://melafoundation.org/dream02.htm

The ruben museum of art is free on friday evenings.

you could always wander around the west village and washington square. Just walking in nyc is one of my favorites.

the high line (bundle up, again...)

mcnally jackson has book events downstairs sometimes.

the village voice has useful events listings, as does the l magazine and the ny press.

(as i look that up i realize the nyp is defunct! oh god, i am old).

if you want to do a meetup, there are lots of local MMMers.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 05:41:35 PM »
if you like weird things check out this:
http://www.nonsensenyc.com/about/

i liked flex mussels if you like mussels. i got awesome food at their happy hour. If you post what kind of food you like I can make more suggestions.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »

I've never gone to the Met because I couldn't justify paying the $25 admission --- although I will no longer feel guilty.  Apparently the admission is recommended rather than required because they are supposed to provide free access to the public in exchange for free rent from the City of New York (see: http://gawker.com/5992235/why-you-should-never-feel-bad-about-not-paying-the-mets-recommended-admission-fee).  I believe the lawsuits have been partially or entirely dismissed, but it still feels to me like it violates the spirit of the agreement.

I'm also following along as I will be spending several weeks in NYC in March --- always looking for some things to do at night.  After a long day, it is far too easy to just grab some dinner and go to my hotel even though there is so much to see.   I (unlike the poster) am interested in any theater recommendations (Broadway or Off) that folks might have.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:44:11 PM by eliza »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:44:23 PM »
  I (unlike the poster) am interested in any theater recommendations (Broadway or Off) that folks might have.

If you want Broadway mustachian style, and have flexible plans- do the lotteries and standing room only lines.  Rainy or cold days have better odds, as do less popular shows.  I saw Kinky Boots for $35 and Book of Mormon for $25.  Highly recommend both.  My favorite show so far was Something Rotten. I used a discount code from TheatreMania to get tickets for $79.  The guy next to me paid more than double that.  Shows like Wicked almost never discount, but you can get obstructed view for a small discount. Sometimes obstructed view is really obstructed, sometimes it barely is. I've sat in a number of obstructed view seats for many shows and it's never hampered my enjoyment  . There is also TKTS for discount tickets - but those often cost more than buying online, because you get the discount off the highest price ticket available, which might be more than a lower price ticket elsewhere in the theatre. Broadway theatres are surprisingly small- I sat in the last row to see It's Only a Play (only way to get a ticket under $100, sadly)- but the seats were just fine; you could see and hear no problem.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 06:47:16 PM »
if you like weird things check out this:
http://www.nonsensenyc.com/about/

i liked flex mussels if you like mussels. i got awesome food at their happy hour. If you post what kind of food you like I can make more suggestions.

Thanks! I leave Monday, so I got signed up to get Friday's email.

I like pretty much any food that isn't fish.  I would really like to try a good ramen place this time.
So far my favorite place to eat in Manhattan was Empanada Mamas, but I just read it burned down during the blizzard :(  Thank goodness no one was hurt. Snow covered fire hydrants can really delay response times.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 06:50:06 PM »
Have you checked out the tenement museum?  Fascinating period in urban America's history.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
Have you checked out the tenement museum?  Fascinating period in urban America's history.

No I haven't and I'd love to- but it appears that tours are only offered during business hours.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »
I've met a few visiting MMM'ers - if anyone wants to meet forum folk, throw something in the NYC meetup thread!

Museum of Jewish Heritage is open until 8 on Wednesdays, with free admission.

There's also the Museum of American Finance, which closes at 4, but may be close enough for a lunch visit.

Museum of the American Indian is open until 8 on Thursdays, with free admission.

Fraunces Tavern is a museum/bar. One of the oldest NYC buildings, Revolution-era history.

Staten Island Ferry is fun, and free, as is the Brooklyn Bridge. In SI, you can walk a few minutes and get to a 9-11 memorial. In Brooklyn you can walk a few minutes to a park, a memorial, cool neighborhoods, another park...

Edit: There's also usually free comedy shows. Time Out has a list that you can filter based on what activity you're looking for.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:36:33 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!