Author Topic: NYC living - cheap home internet options?  (Read 3484 times)

FrugalRubles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
NYC living - cheap home internet options?
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
Hello All,
Looking for some NYC-specific recommendations on internet / cable.

I live in Brooklyn and my building is only wired for Verizon Fios. We are now on a month-to-month plan (after completing a 2 year contract with them).
The cheapest plan they offer (on a month to month basis) for home internet and TV is $129.99 / month, which ends up around $183 with a multi-room DVR. This also includes a home phone.

I am willing to cancel the TV (and don't need the home phone), however even the internet alone through Fios is around $90 / month.

Can anyone recommend internet only solutions that service Brooklyn / NYC?

Thanks in advance.

FrugalRubles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: NYC living - cheap home internet options?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
I would call FIOS and negotiate. We have it in Queens (no TV or other services and are paying $60/month). We had TWC at the old place, which was cheaper, but it was terrible.

I called and cancelled TV / home phone. Cheapest they would give me was $76. The rep I spoke to was terrible, no rebuttals / no offers, barely spoke English.
I will have to deal until end of the lease.

We are likely to leave BK sometime soon, what area of Queens do you live in? Do you work in Manhattan? Trying to eliminate my commute as much as possible.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »
Don't they offer a Triple Play (home phone, Internet and Cable) for well under $100? I get those offers all the time. They expire in one or two years, but that is when you can negotiate.

If the rep wasn't helpful you can call back and try a different one. Research what Time Warner wants for just the Internet and tell them you will switch to them (even though your building isn't wired for it, they don't know).

FrugalRubles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:22:51 PM »
Don't they offer a Triple Play (home phone, Internet and Cable) for well under $100? I get those offers all the time. They expire in one or two years, but that is when you can negotiate.

If the rep wasn't helpful you can call back and try a different one. Research what Time Warner wants for just the Internet and tell them you will switch to them (even though your building isn't wired for it, they don't know).

Fios tends to focus on new customer acquisition at the detriment of their existing customers. New customers is $79 / month plus some less than upfront equipment fees (DVR, modem, etc.) with a 2 year commitment. If you are existing (and unwilling to commit to 2 years), it's closer to $129+.

Still a good idea ro try back and see if they will match. Thanks.

FrugalRubles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:50:30 PM »
Yankuba - thanks for the motivation. Called Verizon, told them Time Warner was offering $45 / month. They basically told me they couldn't do anything for me, but right before hanging up, they "found" a $20 / month discount for me from their retention department. Only in my apartment a few more months, but got me down to $55 / month for internet with no TV or home phone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!