Author Topic: NOV 2018 - Constipated... Timing my entry into Indexes  (Read 1465 times)

andersoncp1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
NOV 2018 - Constipated... Timing my entry into Indexes
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
I just got turned on to MMM and FIRE..  And I know, I know.. we're not supposed to time the market.  ...however, given the recent volatility (where it's already had some big drops in the last two months.. and everyone is expecting it to take a dump soon) do I wait to get into indexed funds?  I hate to buy in now, and then have the value drives off a cliff.  I know it will come back up... but it seems dumb to go in if its widely thought that there is a tumble coming.  Thoughts?

Do I wait?  How long do I wait?  If waiting, what sign should I look for as the trigger to get me into the market? 

I have about $350K haphazardly sitting.. doing nothing for me right now and am not sure if I'm a genius or an idiot for sitting on my hands.  (ei: I literally have $150K sitting in checking accounts.  Duh right!?)

walkwalkwalk

• Stubble
Re: NOV 2018 - Constipated... Timing my entry into Indexes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
Stop trying to time the market. Just do it.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
Read this:

https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

Then read it again.

He talks about your exact concern multiple times.  Short answer, invest now.  Yes the market may go down more, but much more likely it'll go up, and you'll have missed out on those gains.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
Wait until March 15, because that's when the end of the crash and recovery begins.

That was sarcastic by the way, put it in now or dollar cost average it over the next six months to make yourself feel better.

Try looking up Bob the worst market timer and let us know what you plan to do.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!