Author Topic: Not washing with soap, shampoo or brushing teeth for prolonged period  (Read 8495 times)

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
Has anyone tried not using any health/beauty products for a sustained period of time? I don't use soap anymore, just water from the running shower, wash my hair with apple cider vinegar and brush my teeth twice daily.

Wondering what the effects are, especially for teeth and hair.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
I would not think you need look very far in order to find out.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Brush yer durn teeth.  Everything else is optional

Btw you only need a tiny pea sized amount of toothpaste.  We are not talking about a lot of money here

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Brush yer durn teeth.  Everything else is optional

Btw you only need a tiny pea sized amount of toothpaste.  We are not talking about a lot of money here

But surely it can be made cheaper?

Kaminoge

• Bristles
Second on the teeth brushing - skipping that could lead to some pricey problems. You don't even need toothpaste. Bicarb will do the trick.

I went for about a year without using shampoo and it was fine (my husband hasn't used it in years). Eventually I went back to shampoo because I have psoriasis and it flared out of control on my head - medicated shampoo is the only practical way to control it.

I use soap if I feel I need it but not otherwise (e.g. if I've got grease on me from the bike I find soap is needed).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Has anyone tried not using any health/beauty products for a sustained period of time? I don't use soap anymore, just water from the running shower, wash my hair with apple cider vinegar and brush my teeth twice daily.

Aren't you the guy who only posts about dating and relationships?

I would think there is not really a range of options when it comes to brushing your teeth or not... A $3 tube of toothpaste once every couple of months is a very small price to pay.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
I'm shocked anyone would even consider not brushing their teeth. Hopefully you're not serious.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
A cheap tube of 99 cent toothpaste can last 2-3 months.  Just brush, don't be gross.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Brush and floss. Not having teeth would be horrible.

ohsnap

• Bristles
Amy Dacyczyn wrote about teeth brushing in one of her Tightwad Gazette books.  The takeaway was that the physical aspect of brushing and flossing is way more important than any product you use.  Floss every day, and brush for way longer than you think you need to. 

But I'm with the others - just buy the toothpaste already.  I use the tiniest smudge of Colgate on my brush, and it's enough to leave my mouth & teeth feeling really fresh, and a tube lasts me 6 months.  So, about $2/year!

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Not washing with soap, shampoo or brushing teeth for prolonged period
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:02:25 AM »
Actually, you can do with a lot less brushing if you stop eating and drinking stuff that is bad for your teeth. Brushing can even damage your teeth if you press too much, or do it after drinking something acidic like coke or coffee. Also fluoride is not healthy. Read: http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/article/qa-whats-so-bad-about-fluoride/

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:44 AM »
I wash my hair every two to three days with apple cider vinegar or baking soda, but I'll never willingly give up soap or toothpaste. Not in my tropical climate.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »
Spring for the soap, electric toothbrush and floss.  Not frugal to have tooth problems which are very expensive.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »
Good lord.  A bar of ivory soap is like what - $0.50.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
Even out in the field in the Army I practiced physical hygiene everyday.  It's encouraged.  Even if it is just baby wipes.
Since retired, I do not go all out with showering but it is something I do because I can.  It feels good.
I certainly don't buy into fancy pants products but do like my Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Toothpaste & naturally made soaps.
Floss is your friend.

pirate_wench

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:02 AM »
I spent six months only showering about once a week when I thru-hiked the PCT. My longest stretch was 10 days, which happened a few times.  I still brushed my teeth though! Yes, we smelled really bad, though we were also exercising 12-14 hours a day and wearing the same clothes every day.  Maybe it would be less stinky not showering and working an office job? Would hate to lose my job experimenting with it. Brush your teeth, though. Even if you don't use toothpaste, though I've tried that occasionally while hiking too, and if anything, the toothpaste makes the toothbrush taste better. They are kind of nasty tasting otherwise....Edit: Sorry, there is no mention about not brushing at all! But I stand by my toothpaste makes the toothbrush taste better statement :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:02:28 AM by pirate_wench »

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
Here's what I do/think:

I use toothpaste, but am thinking about switching to a homemade baking soda/coconut oil/mint oil recipe.  I feel like you need to brush your teeth, but baking soda or a homemade paste will work, IMO.  It really is the bristles brushing away plaque and food bits that is important, not the product, as others have mentioned.  Flossing is def. important!

I rarely use soap when I shower.  I do use soap when I wash my hands.  My skin seems much healthier without soap.  I use a washcloth to clean, instead.  And I can go without shampoo, but I like to use conditioner for manageability.  Otherwise my hair gets too tangly.  I also only shower 2x/week max.  And I don't use deodorant.  But I don't sweat/smell much.

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
I'll be the gross one.

I didn't brush daily or floss ever from about age 12 to about age 18. I moved from my dad's house to my mom's house at 18, and she took me to the dentist for the first time since I'd lost all my baby teeth. They did three root canals and many more fillings. All told, it cost between $2000 to $3000 to have my dental work done after having been an irresponsible owner of teeth for a very long time.

Seriously, just buy a bunch of toothpaste when it's on sale. Choosing not to brush/floss would be a prime example of penny wise and pound foolish.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Basic hygiene was one of the massive victories of public health. People give medicine all the credit, but most diseases and deaths have probably been prevented by really basic things like closed sewer systems/clean drinking water, washing your hands, etc. Needless to say, personal hygiene needs to be a priority.

You need to brush your teeth. This is a must do if you don’t want to get cavities or serious gum inflammation, never mind bad breath. Poor dental health has been linked to a host of other health problems, not to mention the fact that rotted teeth look super gross. Brush with water and baking soda if you really cannot stand using products, but really you have to remove the plaque from your teeth on a daily basis. Same goes with flossing.

Hand hygiene is critical. Very hot water will work for a rinse, but soap is more effective according to the CDC:
“Using soap to wash hands is more effective than using water alone because the surfactants in soap lift soil and microbes from skin, and people tend to scrub hands more thoroughly when using soap, which further removes germs”  http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-handwashing.html
Accept that hand hygiene is not just important for you, but for those around you. Suck it up and use some soap. If you are like me and have really sensitive skin, you do not need to use soap every single time you wash your hands but you need to use it before or after important activities (using the bathroom, before preparing food) or when you are ill.

Shampoo/body wash/deodorant are not must do things for health, but are nice-to-haves for most people.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:21:58 AM by little_brown_dog »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
While it's always good to care for your teeth, I strongly believe that the detrimental benefits of poor dental hygiene depend on your genetics.

After university I went for a ten year period of brushing my teeth (regular tooth brush) once or twice a day and flossing once or twice a month.  No appointments with a dentist.  When I finally had a check-up, the dentist found a small cavity that needed to be filled, but otherwise my teeth were in good shape with no gum problems.

My wife went the same period of time without a dentist's appointment.  She is religious about brushing her teeth (electric toothbrush) three times a day and flossing twice a day.  She needed a tooth extraction and two root canals due to decay after the checkup.

We eat the same foods and drink the same liquids.  I was just luckier regarding my teeth.  Some people might be able to get by with less dental care than others, but I would never recommend it as a rule.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
Sometimes I think I worry too much about optimization, efficiency, and frugality. Then I come on here and read these insane penny-wise, pound foolish posts and sleep well at night.

OP: I'm not going to answer your question because it's the equivalent of:

"Has anybody not put oil in their car? What happened?"
"Has any other fair-skinned person not used sunscreen for a vacation on the beach? What happened when you went out in the sun eight hours a day for five days?"
"Does anybody else not wash dishes after raw meat touches them to save money on your water bill? How did it go after a couple of months?"

And if you're stressed about saving a couple bucks a month at the expense of your own health, you have bigger things to worry about.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »
Sometimes I think I worry too much about optimization, efficiency, and frugality. Then I come on here and read these insane penny-wise, pound foolish posts and sleep well at night.

"Has any other fair-skinned person not used sunscreen for a vacation on the beach? What happened when you went out in the sun eight hours a day for five days?"
"Does anybody else not wash dishes after raw meat touches them to save money on your water bill? How did it go after a couple of months?"

And if you're stressed about saving a couple bucks a month at the expense of your own health, you have bigger things to worry about.

+1

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

+1

x100

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
Did op say that this was in the name of frugality or is that an assumption?

For me I never formed the habit of brushing my teeth, like I would forget, lucky if I got once a day in. Started to have to bring the toothbrush and toothpaste in the shower with me. Never had or have bad breath if I don't brush. Thank you parents for good teeth, probably wouldn't have any left.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »

I interpreted this a little differently. In my (possibly crazy) mind, I read that the OP recently started this new routine and still uses apple cider vinegar AND still brushes his teeth, but wants to know if anyone has experience with the long-term effects of forgoing soap and shampoo.

I have no personal experience with this but have read blogs stating that hair and skin get greasier for 2-3 weeks while they're adjusting and then skin and hair become much healthier than before.

I agree with others that recommend using hand soap after using the restroom and before and after preparing food and eating.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:13 PM »
Only bother brushing the teeth you want to keep:))

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »

For me I never formed the habit of brushing my teeth, like I would forget, lucky if I got once a day in. Started to have to bring the toothbrush and toothpaste in the shower with me. Never had or have bad breath if I don't brush. Thank you parents for good teeth, probably wouldn't have any left.
People don't usually tell you when the problem presents.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:24 PM »

I do not get bad breath. Don't need someone to tell you. Sorry! I can bet my life on it if you want.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »

I do not get bad breath. Don't need someone to tell you. Sorry! I can bet my life on it if you want.
Please share how you know this. I don't mean to sound snarky, it's just that your nose grows accustomed to nearby smells and one becomes "nose blind".  So if you have a method to indicate fresh breath, I would gladly use it myself instead of trying to breath into my cupped hand and sniffing.
And are you saying that your mouth and saliva lack the enzymes and bacteria to break food down so you have particles floating around in the region.  I just don't understand how this is possible unless you are an infant.
And I would not want you to bet your life on this because I think you cannot possibly be right, but would be very happy for you indeed if you were.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
Poor oral hygiene leads to a host of health problems including heart disease.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
In general, if you decide not to brush your teeth or don't do it well enough, you're not going to know how badly you've screwed up until years down the line. So, please be kind to your FUTURE self. Brush your teeth and floss regularly and properly.

Not using soap or shampoo regularly can be compensated for. But if you start finding that other people are edging away from you, I'd rethink your practices VERY quickly.

piercrab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
Brushing with salt also keep teeth clean.  If don't want to pay for toothpaste, CVS regularly has tooth paste for almost free when use coupon from their red machine

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!