Author Topic: Northerners: How are you preparing for winter?  (Read 18432 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Northerners: How are you preparing for winter?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:09 PM »
I just dumped a bunch of leaves on top of my garden, we'll see what happens.

I just left up my plastic on the windows from last winter
I installed an attic tent, which covers the pull down stairs opening.
Had an energy audit and they told me my baseboard heating system is worthless, so I'm going to use my plug-in electric oil heater.
Funny about the hibernation comment because my roommate has a snake, and he goes into hibernation in December.

TrMama

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »
The best time to get ready for winter is in the spring. Jackets, snow shovels, mittens and everything else goes on sale. Right now it's a great time to buy stuff for summer though!

My Winter to do list for the month, mostly finished:
Winterizing the car - winter tires (also a good time to check the spare has full tire pressure, some tires have leaks), checking the emergency kit (booster cables, blankets etc.), check the scraper is still there.
Shed - clean up and pack everything I can into it, kids toys last longer that way
Water Barrels - Empty to avoid splitting
Garden - Clear it off and add leaves to it (I have clay soil so the leaves in the fall make it fluffy, easier to do prep now than rush in the spring).
Yard - clear of leaves, cut it shorter
Eaves troughs - Clean out in anticipation of spring melt :)
Windows - Put plastic barrier on the basement ones, it reduces heat loss.
Planters - Move beside the house so they'll warm up faster in spring and I can plant sooner.

Do you shred the leaves, or just put them on it? Work it in now in the fall or in the spring?

This is the first year I've tried doing something with leaves, I shredded them but did not work them in. I also put a bunch unshredded into one of my compost bins to see if it will turn into the magical leafmold i've heard about.

Trying to figure something out to help lighten my clay garden, but nothing seems to have helped that much. Besides graduating from a front tine to a rear tine so I can actually work it up.

Try mixing some sand into your clay. It will take years and years worth of leaf mold and lawn clippings to lighten clay.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
Currently living in an apartment with heat and hot water included. So much of what I used to do when I rented a house is no longer an issue.

I realized I need a new pair of driving gloves so I have started looking for them. Other than that not too much. I probably should check on my shovel for the occasional digging out of my car.

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Moving south. The snowpocalypse cannot be stopped.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »
Currently living in an apartment with heat and hot water included. So much of what I used to do when I rented a house is no longer an issue.

I realized I need a new pair of driving gloves so I have started looking for them. Other than that not too much. I probably should check on my shovel for the occasional digging out of my car.

This reminds me of my brother who had hot water, but not heat, included in his condo.  He would just leave the hot water on all the time to help heat the place.  Since he was sandwiched on most sides by other people he never really needed more heat than that. 

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2014, 05:06:12 PM »

This reminds me of my brother who had hot water, but not heat, included in his condo.  He would just leave the hot water on all the time to help heat the place.  Since he was sandwiched on most sides by other people he never really needed more heat than that.

What a ridiculous thing to not include!  And how shortsighted of the owners, people must have been wasting a lot of hot water that way.

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 05:46:54 PM »
The best time to get ready for winter is in the spring. Jackets, snow shovels, mittens and everything else goes on sale. Right now it's a great time to buy stuff for summer though!

My Winter to do list for the month, mostly finished:
Winterizing the car - winter tires (also a good time to check the spare has full tire pressure, some tires have leaks), checking the emergency kit (booster cables, blankets etc.), check the scraper is still there.
Shed - clean up and pack everything I can into it, kids toys last longer that way
Water Barrels - Empty to avoid splitting
Garden - Clear it off and add leaves to it (I have clay soil so the leaves in the fall make it fluffy, easier to do prep now than rush in the spring).
Yard - clear of leaves, cut it shorter
Eaves troughs - Clean out in anticipation of spring melt :)
Windows - Put plastic barrier on the basement ones, it reduces heat loss.
Planters - Move beside the house so they'll warm up faster in spring and I can plant sooner.

Do you shred the leaves, or just put them on it? Work it in now in the fall or in the spring?

This is the first year I've tried doing something with leaves, I shredded them but did not work them in. I also put a bunch unshredded into one of my compost bins to see if it will turn into the magical leafmold i've heard about.

Trying to figure something out to help lighten my clay garden, but nothing seems to have helped that much. Besides graduating from a front tine to a rear tine so I can actually work it up.

Try mixing some sand into your clay. It will take years and years worth of leaf mold and lawn clippings to lighten clay.

I heard mixing sand into clay was a myth to help it - that it will actually end up harder than before?

One other thing I was trying was to do green manure...grew cowpeas this year. Might try something else next year.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
The Hub put flashing on an outside wall that lacked it.   He also added Tyvek.  That is a big deal here in the rainy PNW.  Last year the entire back wall mildewed.  We have laid in two tons of pellets which should be more than enough to stay warm.