Author Topic: Nobody's perfect... what money mistakes have you made lately?  (Read 68111 times)

Blackeagle

• Bristles
Re: Nobody's perfect... what money mistakes have you made lately?
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »
I paid $50 for them to tell me the gas cap is having issue. They suggested I buy a new gas cap. I declined the service, tightened the gas cap, and went on my way. The check engine light went away.

Been there, done that.  I feel for you.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:30 AM »
Thank you so much, everyone.  I actually do have a number of emails where the client says he will pay for X, Y, and Z so at least I should invoice those... though unfortunately not for all work. We do have a contract so I have to go through all our hundreds of emails from a 6 month period and figure out the point at which the contract was filled.  One issue is that I was under such pressure to produce rapid results that I did not have time to think most of the time.

The $11K is AFTER discounts and many freebies.  If I charged for every little thing it would have been $14K.

The client can be very in your face... apparently he called my colleague and swore and screamed at him when he got our invoices. I shouldn't be afraid, but I need time to go through my files so that I have my facts straight...it will take many hours and of course I have been putting it off. Yeah, gotta take care of it...
I think once you buckle down to do this, it will take far less time than you fear.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Gah, tried to turn on the outside taps today and realized we forgot to drain them out after shutting off the water. One just needs the faucet replaced which should be easy enough, but the other one has a copper pipe running under a deck that is leaking in several places. Hubby won't be able to fit under there, and I am 4 months pregnant so I will have to learn how to cut and solder pipe before my belly gets too big. Not sure what the monetary cost will be yet. I can do without the tap if I have to, I would just need to run a longer hose to my garden.

Ugh! We made this same mistake this winter =( In my defense, we're not really used to freezing weather around here, haha.

Good luck with your copper adventures!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:48 AM »
Gah, tried to turn on the outside taps today and realized we forgot to drain them out after shutting off the water. One just needs the faucet replaced which should be easy enough, but the other one has a copper pipe running under a deck that is leaking in several places. Hubby won't be able to fit under there, and I am 4 months pregnant so I will have to learn how to cut and solder pipe before my belly gets too big. Not sure what the monetary cost will be yet. I can do without the tap if I have to, I would just need to run a longer hose to my garden.

Ugh! We made this same mistake this winter =( In my defense, we're not really used to freezing weather around here, haha.

Try using a "Sharkbite" if you don't really want to learn how to solder.  Also, after having repaired our deck, I realize that it is not too hard to pry up boards and replace/rescrew them in again.  See if your husband can do that so that pregnant you doesn't have to wiggle under the deck.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
I just feel like we've been a little loose with discretionary income.  Went out yesterday with friends (not Mom) for Mother's Day and had a really average brunch for $47 for two people.   I could have made a decent quiche with fruit and even had some bubbly at home and hosted.  I find that I'm enjoying eating out less and less because so much of the food is average.

JustGettingStarted1980

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
Miscalculated my end of year bonus. This led to not funding both my Roth IRA's 11K until May (instead of January). That means I lost about 10% in Equity gains, or about $500 cash.  It is unlikely that Ill make this mistake again.

JGS

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »
Local grocery store flyer has a bunch of '10 for $10' items. 
There are a quite a few things I buy use and a couple of them are canned goods so I can stock up to get to 10 items.
I figured I'd grab a couple other things while I'm there - things Aldi's doesn't sell.  Figured I'd spend $14 - $18.50...
Spent $24.  The cheese curds and brand name flavored snack crackers got me...

Pipboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
I forgot that my 2016 FSA allowed claims to be submitted through April of 2017, but only for services provided in '16. For some reason I thought it could be used for services through April '17, so I forfeited about $700.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »
Pipboy,  all may not be lost. Have you checked to see if your employer rolls over $500? If you are lucky, that $500 may appear added to your 2017 FSA. https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/plan-now-to-use-health-flexible-spending-arrangements-in-2016-contribute-up-to-2550-500-carryover-option-available-to-many

Pipboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »
Kind of you to post that, but my plan does not offer it. I will own my mistake and move on!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2017, 05:31:38 AM »
Not me, but my boyfriend. He locked an insurance contract for 10 years so we now cannot change the insurance for another 6 years even though everything has changed and it probably gets even pricier.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
I just feel like we've been a little loose with discretionary income.  Went out yesterday with friends (not Mom) for Mother's Day and had a really average brunch for $47 for two people.   I could have made a decent quiche with fruit and even had some bubbly at home and hosted.  I find that I'm enjoying eating out less and less because so much of the food is average.
I could have written this myself. True that.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »

+1

Even when we use gift cards in restaurants I don't really enjoy it as much as I used to.  I think "I like my cooking better."

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »
My most recent money mistake?  Letting DH talk me into much more car than needed.  He's a saleman . . . so he knows how to appeal to my inner need to do what makes sense . . . even if what he's suggesting really shouldn't make sense.

The only thing that really gives me comfort is the fact that I will drive this car into the ground so I will get my money's worth out of it.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
After 2 years of 9% rent increases I bought a house about 6 months ago.  The monthly payment is significantly lower than the rent when the principal portion of the payment is excluded.   But a series of slab leaks, appliance breakdowns and health insurance copays resulting from DIY projects makes the whole purchase of the house qualify as a money mistake.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
Have been reading on another thread how people don't need their Amazon Prime. I personally love Amazon Prime, and one item I get  there is my dog's poop bags. I was in the Petco--needed dog poop bags--couldn't remember how much they cost on Prime--so pulled the trigger and bought them in the brick and mortar, feeling very virtuous. No packaging and box, no fossil fuels used to get it to my apt., etc., etc. So I go home and check the same item on my Prime--it was half the price of  Petco! So I just threw away $12.00. Doh!

The moral, of course, is: Remember your prices. Don't just "guess" when shopping.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Wasted $174 to retrieve my car from an impound lot because I was parked for too long in front of the condo unit of my friendly neighbor, who I subsequently learned is a board member and can authorize towing and did so with my car. So I guess the mistake actually would have been back in 2007 when we decided to buy a place here....*facepalm*

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
Bought some ice cream and cookies I wasn't supposed to buy. D: Oh well. It was like $6, but gah... i need to learn how to make healthier junk food at home.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
I miscalculated my monthly grocery list as it turns out there are 5 shopping days instead of 4 this month. So I had to do a top up shop yesterday. Still under budget for the month though so that's a plus but it is only my first month of budgeting food. I feel I could do a lot better.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2017, 02:09:19 AM »
When driving yesterday, noticing that fuel was cheap, we stopped at the first petrol station after the one where we noticed the cheap price in the first place. Just because I know of experience that sometimes prices go up again when we approach our house. But in this case, the next station was slightly cheaper and I missed out on a small amount. Still, the difference with more expensive fuel days is noticeable.

kraken7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
Put off trying to apply my student health insurance to my medication after trying turned into a hell-fest last year and am only now actively working to sort out the mess and get it working. Worst part is I haven't taken advantage of this plan at ALL in my years at uni and now I'm close to graduating.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »
Recently I've fallen into some kind of... Well, I call it my "beauty crisis." After years of not wearing makeup and mostly relying on soap and sunscreen for my skin care, in the last 3 months or so I've spent an absurd amount on cleansers, masks, scrubs, makeup, and even a spa facial. I'm certainly enjoying the nighttime skincare ritual, and we can afford it, but I don't need any of it. At least I've been using ebates and coupons, and this phase is over.

(My skin looks so bomb tho :-P )

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A puzzle in progress...
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »
I'd really like a pair of $200 binoculars right now even though I don't know if I'd use them for astronomy for more than a couple of months. This is more of a temptation thing than a buying and regretting thing. For now. :D

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:55 AM »
I'd really like a pair of $200 binoculars right now even though I don't know if I'd use them for astronomy for more than a couple of months. This is more of a temptation thing than a buying and regretting thing. For now. :D

Look for a used one. You don't need to pay more than 50% of the new price.

If you might only use it for some months, could you perhaps rent one from someone you know?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »

Why binoculars instead of a telescope?  Are binoculars powerful enough to do you any good?

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
Husband is scheduled to have a procedure done at the end of the week.  It didn't even occur to me that our insurance is up for the year today until someone from their insurance office called us.  It would have been covered at 80% since we had already met our deductible for the year, but now we will have to pay whatever the full cost is.  DH already called and they can't fit him in today.

We obviously have the money to cover it, and it will get us well on the way to meeting our deductible for the next year, but I'm so mad at myself for not thinking about that when scheduling the appointment.  This is going to be a $1K+ mistake for us. Ugh!

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
I was able to get over my telescope temptation when I saw an article in Astronomy Magazine that showed clear nights per year by area of the US. Western New York has only 65 first nights per year on average - and I'm betting most of them are during the coldest months. Not sure where you are but maybe that same idea will help you :-) (sorry I couldn't find the article online)

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
A bit more than 2 years ago I refinanced my student loans, got a great rate. After DH got a raise, he was interested in refinancing his, and I suggested he go with the same company.
He did his research, shopped around at a few placed, ended up refinancing for a much lower rate at the same place, great! Good job all around, right??

Well, a month later I realized I could have "referred" him, and we BOTH would have gotten a $200 bonus from Earnest, the company we both refinanced with. Ugh.
*headdesk* I mean, we definitely saved money by refinancing so I can't be too annoyed, but I'm super mad that we would be $400 richer if I hadn't been dumb.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2017, 02:02:02 AM »
I was able to get over my telescope temptation when I saw an article in Astronomy Magazine that showed clear nights per year by area of the US. Western New York has only 65 first nights per year on average - and I'm betting most of them are during the coldest months. Not sure where you are but maybe that same idea will help you :-) (sorry I couldn't find the article online)

For a telescope this is relevant. But a binoculars (in a handy size) can be used during summer as well for bird watching or similar.
For telescopes: get a solar filter. :-) A Baader filter is a cheap option. I own 2 telescopes (bought before discovering MMM) and I can indeed only use them in the winter.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »
I flew to TX (just me, no wife or kids) and packed a lunch for myself to eat on the plane so I wouldn't buy something.

Then--changing in Dallas on the return flight--I bought a $15 burger and $10 chocolate cake for the most opulent lunch I've had in a year or more. And now that I'm back at work, I went out for lunch today, too. I'm out of control!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
I sign up for a vision plan only every other year because usually I don't need a new prescription every year.  Well, forgot to go the eye doctor last year (when we paid), and now I need new glasses.  Plus, one of my children looks like he may need glasses...  Grrr. As my husband would say, "I outsmarted myself!"

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
I bought a $9.99 bag of charcoal yesterday. There has got to be a cheaper option.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »

+1

Even when we use gift cards in restaurants I don't really enjoy it as much as I used to.  I think "I like my cooking better."

Agreed. Then again, it is a joy when you find a place that is reasonable, has a nice atmosphere and serves food I normally do not cook.

Discretionary spending - ugh - for some reason, every once in a while, maybe I'm just a binge spender, I throw all caution to the wind and buy whatever takes my fancy. Then next month or the next three months I have to deal with the fall out. Totally nuts and irrational.

MissPiggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Earnest Addiction - A Millennial's Journey to FIRE
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »

+1

Agreed. Then again, it is a joy when you find a place that is reasonable, has a nice atmosphere and serves food I normally do not cook.

Discretionary spending - ugh - for some reason, every once in a while, maybe I'm just a binge spender, I throw all caution to the wind and buy whatever takes my fancy. Then next month or the next three months I have to deal with the fall out. Totally nuts and irrational.

I cannot agree more!

I hate going out to eat and find the food is overpriced, quality is poor and experience mediocre. In those cases I'd rather cook myself.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2017, 08:31:29 AM »
When we bought our current house, just before discovering MMM, we bought a new tv. They idea was to have a Big tv that is visible from the open kitchen. Our old tv was big, too, but the new one is even bigger. The old one is hanging upstairs and seldom used. I wouldn't do this again now.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
Super bored on maternity leave so I spent $30 on bobcat in a box. Without a doubt the stuff I'll get will be absolute junk.

So just threw that money away.  But maybe I'll get $30 in amusement opening the packages. At least I'll get exercise checking the mail more often than I usually do.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »

Try using a "Sharkbite" if you don't really want to learn how to solder.  Also, after having repaired our deck, I realize that it is not too hard to pry up boards and replace/rescrew them in again.  See if your husband can do that so that pregnant you doesn't have to wiggle under the deck.

Thanks for the advice. The boards are actually screwed in from underneath, but there is enough room for me to get under there easily. I tried to do the easy way out with a repair clamp but there is still a small leak with that on. I will try the shark bites next.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »
Super bored on maternity leave so I spent $30 on bobcat in a box. Without a doubt the stuff I'll get will be absolute junk.

So just threw that money away.  But maybe I'll get $30 in amusement opening the packages. At least I'll get exercise checking the mail more often than I usually do.

Lol! I had to google this as I had no idea...Found this funny sequence, so that next time the urge hits you (or anyone else) you can just watch this video instead. I hope you have as much fun with yours as these three chaps did with theirs. As a bonus, their accents are adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0lVuaIkZTc

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
I watched all 3 seasons of the Irish guys yesterday. If I have half as much fun as they did, it will be worth the money.

You can use keywords to tailor what you get, so, we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:39:20 PM by iowajes »

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2017, 06:02:37 AM »
Wasted money on burritos twice in the past two days. I know it isn't worth it, at au$14 a pop, that $28 could have paid for a weeks worth of exercise classes (and my body currently needs exercise classes much more than burritos!). Am planning to leave my keycard at home for the rest of the week.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2017, 10:33:53 PM »
A couple of colleagues working in another state came to the office for a week.  We went to lunch one day and I paid the bill with the credit card, about $28.  I didn't think much about it at the time, but the only receipt I was given was the credit card receipt. When I applied for a refund for the lunch, I added the receipt and waited.  And waited.  After a week and half of nada, I followed up on the refund request.  Somebody in Finance who approves the refund requests, approved... $0.00.  Not denied, approved.  Because I hadn't included an itemized receipt.

Had the person denied the request, the software the company uses would notify me immediately.  But because the person approved the request, no notice was generated.  Without a denial notice, the chance that the employee will forget about the refund goes up. Certainly one way of managing the company bottom line and another reason for this employee to become FI as soon as possible.  As it was, I was out of $28 because I had forgotten to ask for an itemized receipt.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #241 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »
A couple of colleagues working in another state came to the office for a week.  We went to lunch one day and I paid the bill with the credit card, about $28.  I didn't think much about it at the time, but the only receipt I was given was the credit card receipt. When I applied for a refund for the lunch, I added the receipt and waited.  And waited.  After a week and half of nada, I followed up on the refund request.  Somebody in Finance who approves the refund requests, approved... $0.00.  Not denied, approved.  Because I hadn't included an itemized receipt.

Had the person denied the request, the software the company uses would notify me immediately.  But because the person approved the request, no notice was generated.  Without a denial notice, the chance that the employee will forget about the refund goes up. Certainly one way of managing the company bottom line and another reason for this employee to become FI as soon as possible.  As it was, I was out of $28 because I had forgotten to ask for an itemized receipt.

That would really annoy me, especially since the taking visitors out to lunch thing is expected behavior at most places AND you would probably never have opted for a $28 lunch for yourself. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »

Buying a bobcat when you are pregnant sounds awesome! Just don't let the bobcat around the baby.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
I had a tough day at work yesterday and would be home alone that evening. I fell for buying cheese case, two in a pack, and ate both for dinner. Not good for my money and my health.

Compensated today by having another tough and long day at work, but ate a healthy dish for dinner.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
UGH. Didn't notice that something we ordered on Amazon was NOT prime. It cost $12.99. The shipping and handling cost $15.

Stupid tax. =(

aroberson77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
UGH. Didn't notice that something we ordered on Amazon was NOT prime. It cost $12.99. The shipping and handling cost $15.

Stupid tax. =(

That's the worst.  I have learned that amazon is not the cheapest if you don't need it right away.  I wanted to cancel my prime last month and even signed up to get the email to do so but I forgot to check the email and got charged for another month :(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »

Stupid tax. =(

That's the worst.  I have learned that amazon is not the cheapest if you don't need it right away.  I wanted to cancel my prime last month and even signed up to get the email to do so but I forgot to check the email and got charged for another month :(

Luckily we've gotten it at the student rate for a long time, which is half the cost. And the subscribe and save for dog food alone makes it worth it to us (equal price to elsewhere, plus 15% off, plus 5% back on the amazon CC). We don't buy much and don't live in a place where you can find everything locally, so it's a good option to have. Just screwed up missing the seller info =(

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:02 AM »
Mine also involves Amazon. I tried to buy stock in Kroger ($KR) as it dropped on a bad earnings release yesterday.

Then this morning the news broke about Amazon buying Whole Foods, and Grocery store investors are acting like it's the apocalypse. Already down about 13% on my $2450 investment. Could be more.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »

Stupid tax. =(

HA! I KNEW it would be crazy for us to have missed this. Turns out, their system was being wonky, and it was their fault! It WAS prime! So they're refunding it =)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »

Stupid tax. =(

HA! I KNEW it would be crazy for us to have missed this. Turns out, their system was being wonky, and it was their fault! It WAS prime! So they're refunding it =)
See if they'll throw in a free month of Prime for their error. Seems to be their SOP. Glad you caught it!