Author Topic: No subfloor under cast iron tub belly. Help?  (Read 3022 times)

Try2Bfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No subfloor under cast iron tub belly. Help?
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:16:26 AM »
House from the 50s, new owner. I'm having some work done in the crawl space and went to check it out. Found that there are no joists or even a subfloor underneath the main belly of a cast iron tub. The edges are framed. Aside from the exposed plumbing (part pvc part older pipe) an inner wall is also exposed to the crawl space from this gaping hole. I want to close this up partly to remove some smells that seem to permeate into the room from the exposed wall.

I initially thought I could do this myself but on closer inspection any plywood will have to be attached to the wood framing the tub and I'm not that comfortable that I will do this successfully.

Who do i call to help fix this?
Your expert advice is much appreciated.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
Re: No subfloor under cast iron tub belly. Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:42:17 AM »
It's not as difficult as you think. Start with some deep breaths and then hit youtube. There are some excellent videos on measuring and cutting plywood to install over areas. There are also some on how to reinforce the flooring or even walls before you install the plywood. Getting this done won't be too expensive. You may even want to purchase some nicer power tools for the project if you anticipate doing something like this in the future.

Do you have any pictures to post? or a video of the project?