Author Topic: No job, nowhere to live, no prospects as of two weeks from now  (Read 6008 times)

SyZ

• Stubble
Well, maybe not that dire.

My current position is moving me to a new area, in a field I don't want to be in, starting in June, and requiring me to move. I haven't been able to secure a room or apartment and there's 2 weeks to go.

The position is temporary through December, and I can't land anything in my field. I'm also not sure I want to move into that field. I also don't like the field I'm in. It's data analysis / pulling / number crunching / staring at a screen / boring / non-impactful / dull.

I want out of CA, but can't just move somewhere without a job. And if I apply for a full time position in the field they're pushing me into in two weeks, it won't solve anything as that's not the field I want to be in.

I don't have the luxury of moving out of state and then just getting a local job unless I completely accept my degree and professional credentials are worthless, and start over at 31, like I've done 4 times now since graduating.

My only advantage is that I have no kids / friends / dependents / ties to the area.

I feel like, it's lose-lose. Just accept the fact that 40 hours of my life a week will be pointless and focus on other things. Try to improve the circumstances of those 40 hours and then not want to focus on other things because it's dependent on what happens with those 40 hours. Save my money and retire early so I don't have to deal with it - I'm still 10-15 years away even at a > 50% savings rate.

There is no stability or structure in my life and it's slipping away

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No job, nowhere to live, no prospects as of two weeks from now
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
Is the new area a place you're looking forward to living in?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »
A new area geographically?

It feels terrifying, I can tell from your post. But you do have a job. They're not setting you up in a hotel?

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
First, some advice about the living situation.  Have you tried reaching out to your network?  Friends of friends?  You just need something for a week or two and then you'll move somewhere else.

I feel your pain on disliking your job.   I also dislike my job greatly because all I do is stare at a screen.  My degree is specific, so if I leave, I am admitting it was a mistake.  As if that weren't enough, once I leave the field my chances of getting back in are nil.
BUT, I have realized that my job is only 40 hours a week.  And while I wish it were zero, That still leaves me with a lot of time to do things I really enjoy.  I make enough  money that I have a great life that includes so much food it's sick, a house, cats, and enough money to do most of the things I enjoy. 

My point is to try to focus on the nice stuff that your job provides.  Also, try adding some hobbies or activities to your day to make work seem so consuming.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »
Have you thought of setting up at a busy intersection, flying a flag and seeing what you can make panhandling?

My estimate from discussions with people who have done it in Austin and San Antonio (Austin is better- no surprise there) is that you can expect to make $30 to $40 a day. From about 11 AM to 7 PM are typical hours, depending on weather, etc..

Try it for a while and see what effect it has on your attitude toward your current work situation.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »
I hope you can start to see it as an adventure somehow. If this new position is the only job you've got and there's nothing compelling you to stay where you are, then I think you should take it. If you quit when you're being offered work, you won't be eligible for unemployment. If your job ends in December through no fault of your own and you genuinely can't find anything else by that point, then you can get at least a little help.

If it were me, I would just go for it: sell or give away as much stuff as I could on Craigslist, give notice to my current landlord and/or find someone to either take over my lease or rent out my home if I owned one, figure out how to simplify and pack up my life. Once I got there, I'd find a temporary place to live -- maybe with roommates -- for a few months and/or until December. Then I would save as much as possible from the job between now and December so that I'd have a cushion of savings going into the unknown. I'd jump into life in the new place and try to get involved in the community and meet people.

Who knows? You might like the new field once you try it. You might meet wonderful new friends. Ask around on Facebook to see if you know anybody who knows anybody in the new town. Get a friend to take nice photos of you before you leave your current place, and then join an online dating website in the new town. Join a choir. Take up a new hobby or something.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »
Congratulations on starting over 4 times since graduation;  shows you can do it!  So many people get stuck in jobs that are not satisfying and never change. 

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
Is it the work you're doing or the industry in which you are doing it? There are lots of number-crunching type jobs but maybe you want to feel that the number-crunching is actually making a difference in people's lives or helping accomplish something other than making other people oodles of money?

Depending upon your skills, I would think a good numbers/data person could have a great freelance career. And you are young. Your glass is more than half full. Dream a little. Then go live that life.

NDQ

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
Boy, do I know how you feel. I'm deadened by my office job too and also in my early thirties. I don't think I can keep on doing this the eight more years I would need to in order to FIRE, so I've given myself permission to try something new when my net worth hits six figures. I'm not an especially focused/industrious person, so I know I need to hang on this as long as I can stand it because trying to get something else started for myself will probably be a disaster. I do count my blessings and see what amazing things my job is allowing me to do with my time outside of work, but I do understand how those 8 hours a day put a huge damper on your energy to do those things after work.

Let's just hang in there and if you find a better prospect we'll keep each other posted. We're in the trenches right now, that's all.

SyZ

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if needing to make a whining post somehow affects my luck?

Two hours ago, a guy from the house I want to rent in (.5 miles from work, he works nights, it's a condo constructed in 2013, the rent is 80% other rooms I found which is already 2/3 an apartment) said he wants to meet and (hopefully) finalize things, and then an hour ago I found out there's a job in my company in Jacksonville (still warm, still coastal, much better than some of the areas I was thinking I might end up in) that I may have a shot at

The situation is that I'm in a hotel but that's ending as of the end of the month, and so I just need a new place. And at the same time I'm being moved to a new role in the same office. But the new role is 6 months and not in the field I'm after.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 07:52:46 AM »
Buy a camper van to live in until your work situation stabilizes.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »

Two hours ago, a guy from the house I want to rent in (.5 miles from work, he works nights, it's a condo constructed in 2013, the rent is 80% other rooms I found which is already 2/3 an apartment) said he wants to meet and (hopefully) finalize things, and then an hour ago I found out there's a job in my company in Jacksonville (still warm, still coastal, much better than some of the areas I was thinking I might end up in) that I may have a shot at

This sounds like some much needed good news.  Good luck!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 02:11:01 AM »

The situation is that I'm in a hotel but that's ending as of the end of the month, and so I just need a new place. And at the same time I'm being moved to a new role in the same office. But the new role is 6 months and not in the field I'm after.

How'd it all work out?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SyZ

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
I move to the new department on Monday, I had an in person interview for the field I'm trying to move into and didn't get the offer, and that was the only lead. I have an exam coming up in October that I need to put 2-4 hours a night into studying for and by all accounts it will increase my odds of landing a job by 0% because clearly something else is the issue. I vest with a pension and 6k company contributions in my 401k if I make it to January 2nd, but my assignment is set to end January 1st or February 1st so I either end up vesting and losing a job or not vesting and going somewhere else knowing I was 95% of the way there. The only positive I can think of is that I now have the ability to try to find a broader type of job in another area or state with a low cost of living (Boise? SLC? Phoenix? Texas? Tried everywhere, am finding nothing), but that is more difficult to get in terms of landing an interview with so much local talent that will apply. And I can't move to the middle of nowhere. If I apply for something in a small town in Montana, they'll immediately disregard the application and assume I'm blindly applying everywhere - 'why are you leaving sunny CA with tons of high paying tech jobs to move to the middle of nowhere and take a 20-30% pay cut?'. So, I still have no idea where I'm going and the only thing that's changed since I made this post was I landed a decent location to rent and got 2 months older.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:03:59 PM »
got 2 months older.

Hey, better than the alternative!  ;)

You'll find something.  Keep at it!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »
I move to the new department on Monday, I had an in person interview for the field I'm trying to move into and didn't get the offer, and that was the only lead. I have an exam coming up in October that I need to put 2-4 hours a night into studying for and by all accounts it will increase my odds of landing a job by 0% because clearly something else is the issue. I vest with a pension and 6k company contributions in my 401k if I make it to January 2nd, but my assignment is set to end January 1st or February 1st so I either end up vesting and losing a job or not vesting and going somewhere else knowing I was 95% of the way there. The only positive I can think of is that I now have the ability to try to find a broader type of job in another area or state with a low cost of living (Boise? SLC? Phoenix? Texas? Tried everywhere, am finding nothing), but that is more difficult to get in terms of landing an interview with so much local talent that will apply. And I can't move to the middle of nowhere. If I apply for something in a small town in Montana, they'll immediately disregard the application and assume I'm blindly applying everywhere - 'why are you leaving sunny CA with tons of high paying tech jobs to move to the middle of nowhere and take a 20-30% pay cut?'. So, I still have no idea where I'm going and the only thing that's changed since I made this post was I landed a decent location to rent and got 2 months older.
Sometimes -- even when you don't get the answer you think you want ("clearly something else is the issue"), it's appropriate to ask for feedback on what that issue is.  While most of us may fear it, it does help you move forward a little more clear-eyed about what you can expect from your current employer -- if anything at all.  Life is full of "clarifying experiences," and the older I get the more I appreciate people who are straight with me.  Most corporate culture is awash in uncommunicative managers who either don't clarify expectations, who know that the task at hand is futile and so don't get behind it, or who know what they want to say but lack the courage to say it.

I would approach the powers that be and try to influence sticking around until February 2, so at least you can be fully vested.  Even just raising the issue so that they know you're aware of it will make them uncomfortable and they may decide that cutting you loose before you vest isn't worth it.

I would challenge your assumptions on the last point about "leaving sunny California to take a pay cut" and "I can't move to the middle of nowhere."  First of all, there are plenty of reasons people leave California and clearly enough people leave it for elsewhere that you wouldn't be that much of an anomaly.  If I were a hiring manager and the person I were interviewing had very specific reasons they were looking to relocate (see next comment) I wouldn't assume the worst.  It's all about the narrative you create.  I would encourage you to be more specific about which lifestyle factors you hope to have and which you hope to avoid so that you can apply a set of criteria to places you're considering.  I live in an area of the country often considered "fly over" territory, yet it's not so much anymore.  Facebook, Google, and other high tech firms have relocated here... precisely because our cooler climate allows for cheaper data warehousing, we have land available for expansion, and a work force.  Cost of living is reasonable.

I'm not suggesting you just take anything or choose a place not consistent with your values, I would just be specific about what those are and open to considering places you may not have considered before.