Author Topic: No Desire to Retire Yet - But Ready For A Change  (Read 3064 times)

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No Desire to Retire Yet - But Ready For A Change
« on: May 04, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »
Can someone point me to a good thread, book, website, etc. that showcases individual stories of people who have left the rat race for more "grounded" jobs/businesses?

I've been running on the corporate hamster wheel for too long and ready to have a little more flexibility with my time, but don't want to stop earning a living. I'm thinking
handyman, auto windshield replacement business, pest control, fishing guide, home inspection, etc. Just something that keeps me out of the house, feeling like I'm helping
folks, earning a decent living for the family and preferably something that I can build on and do until I'm in my 70's (I'm 48 now). Having a sales background and general
construction knowledge should be helpful, but I feel like there might be other angles to explore that I'm not thinking about.

Maybe to see what others in similar positions have done, and the enjoyment they're having would offer me enough encouragement to take the leap. I'm in a pretty comfortable
position, have saved my pennies, but not enough to fully retire on. This rinse and repeat daily work cycle for the last 25 years is making me old before my time.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Mike

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:52:26 PM by ibdfan »

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Desire to Retire Yet - But Ready For A Change
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
Hey ibdfan, I actually just started a thread that might help answer your question if people post. 

I'll be watching this thread for replies regardless, maybe I should have posted my idea here instead.

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
It looks like we're on the same quest Johnez!

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Following, although OP's goals are different from my own.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
Not me, but my husband did this almost seven years ago, when he was 44. He'd quite contentedly worked for a multinational company for twenty years but was drawn to a job at his high school alma mater. His "midlife crisis" involved wanting to be a change maker, wanting a more global sense of purpose, feeling driven to make the world a better place.

We'd saved enough to jump off that cliff, and it was a pretty soft landing, though he's working his ass off for way less pay. But he finds the work challenging and rewarding, and we're part of a community that values simplicity, very much in line with Mustachianism.

Our parents had multiple careers:

His dad: a minister for fifteen years, then a college professor for twenty years
His mom: a minister's wife, then an executive at a television station for twenty-five years
My dad: a manager for a glass company; a real estate agent; a college professor for thirty years
My mom: an editor; a department store clerk; a stay-at-home mom; and finally, from age 59-76, a real estate agent

What they taught us is that life is long, and you can do many things. :)

Good luck on your journey!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:12:24 PM »

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:01:52 AM »
Wow, the NPR article and Facebook comments were exactly what I was looking for Thinkum. And thank you begood for sharing the personal stories from your
family journeys. Nice to have a community jump in so quick and provide some direction.

Many thanks!

vivek440

• Stubble
    • Adventures of an Indian Couple after their Financial Independence
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »
@Thinkum - Many thanks for sharing this useful link :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!