Author Topic: No desire for 2nd career/"fun" job after FI  (Read 3542 times)

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No desire for 2nd career/"fun" job after FI
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:10:35 AM »
I was reading an article today saying many people once they retire early or reach a certain point of financial independence start a second career such as tour guide, not for profit work, retail or carpenter/handyman type work.

I've looked through all these types of roles all day on a large online jobs website and not a single one seems appealing.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
Re: No desire for 2nd career/"fun" job after FI
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:24:44 AM »
Key words: many people, not all people. It's hard for many people to go from a full time job to rest and relaxation 24/7. Most have enough money to live without working, but can't handle not having a schedule or something that they know they need to do. I went on to become a Peace Corps volunteer. After that, I don't know if I'll do a traditional retirement (maybe traveling the world), do something else as a volunteer,  or get another job. It's your choice. You don't have to follow the crowd. In fact, that's exactly why many of us do this.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:28:46 AM »
We don't desire food when we're full already. Just wait until you've been at home on the couch for a few months. You'll want to do something that involves human contact and makes you feel useful. It's not all about the work.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:34:20 AM »
It might also be different if your spouse still works. In that case travelling is a bit different. Some people can't stand having nothing to do at home and love to work a new job.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:27:40 AM »
What do you enjoy doing? Do that. IME, if you get out in the world and do stuff you like, something turns up.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
Keep looking.
But I don't think a
large online jobs website
is where to look.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
I'd definitely work after FIRE (about 9 years away). But it is not going to be a Job.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
Keep looking.
But I don't think a
large online jobs website
is where to look.

+1.

We don't usually discover our passions advertised as paid, structured, constrained roles following corporate guidelines. They come from within us, free of those. An idea is often inspired by a dream, a need in our community, conversation with a stranger, a trip that takes us out of our norms or comfort zone, etc.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
I'm one who has no desire to have any kind of job after I retire.  I've had a job since fifth grade, I'm ready to be done.  I am not one to get bored, as there are always things out there to do.

I might volunteer to walk dogs, I'll be part of the quilt group as long as it is in existence, I might sell something I make just because I have no room for it or want to fund something else, but no job.  The job I have now is pretty much as good as I can get, so if I were to plan to have a job after retirement, I may as well just keep mine and increase my years of service for my pension.

Really though, I can think of so many things to do that don't involve getting a job, even a "fun" job.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »
When I've thought about this in the past, I've realized that it isn't so much about having a job as it's about having some "work" to do. I know that I enjoy working at something I enjoy by learning about it, practicing it, working to improve and meet personal goals/projects, etc. There's also great satisfaction in doing work that helps or enriches other people's (or animals') lives. So, for some people, a post-retirement job might be the ticket, or for others (me) it might be working at a number of hobbies all at once. Or both. :-)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is different. You do what you want to do once you FIRE. There is no set rule.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
I 'work', but not really.  I help out at a local animal shelter and my 'job' is professional cuddler/player (occasionally I have to help clean out kennels, but mostly play/run/walk and cuddle is what I do).  I make a few bucks and have an absolute blast doing it.