Author Topic: No bread? No pasta? What are you supposed to eat instead?  (Read 117123 times)

redeyedtreefr0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No bread? No pasta? What are you supposed to eat instead?
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
In the recent article "Protecting Your Money Mustache From Spendy Friends", MMM says that the restaurant is
an Italian place, and I don’t eat bread and pasta anymore, so I get a nice exotic type of salad and the biggest, darkest glass of beer that they can pour

Not eating bread or pasta boggles my mind. No pizza? No spaghetti? No sandwiches of any type? I love bread, and so I am confused. We've been making a serious attempt at eating only wheat bread or pasta, and brown rice mostly. But MMM said he doesn't eat bread or pasta AT ALL!

What am I supposed to eat instead? How do I not feel deprived?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: No bread? No pasta? What are you supposed to eat instead?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »
Look into the low/no carb and Atkins stuff. Same idea, and should give you lots of ideas of what to eat.

My parents have been on a similar (low carb) diet for years, and my dad recently went none at all due to a type two diabetes diagnosis.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Look into a paleo diet as well. Basically meat and veggies. You can use spaghetti squash instead of pasta. And almond flour and/or coconut flour for some baked goods. I lost 8% body fat since switching a year ago my blood work was great at my physical this year. I feel better too. It takes a little effort but really isn't that bad.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
Look into a paleo diet as well. Basically meat and veggies. You can use spaghetti squash instead of pasta. And almond flour and/or coconut flour for some baked goods. I lost 8% body fat since switching a year ago my blood work was great at my physical this year. I feel better too. It takes a little effort but really isn't that bad.

My husband and I very loosely follow the paleo diet--we eat legumes and rice, though, so we're not technically full paleo.  Here's a typical day for us:

Breakfast:  Egg omelet with veggies (usually mushrooms and spinach)
Lunch:  Big ass salad and a cup of homemade soup or leftovers from dinner
Dinner:  Grilled meat and veggies or stir fry or curry or soup

I don't necessarily buy into all the science behind it, and I much less meat than your average paleo eater, but I've felt much better cutting out sugar, bread and pasta. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
My family growing up never ate bread or pasta. For dinners, we'd eat meat and veg. For lunch, we'd eat salads, etc. I didn't eat rice or pasta until moving to college, and I still find it kinda gross. It's totally do able.. you just get to eat real food instead.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Hahahaha welcome to my world! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've been eating gluten free for a few years now to avoid some nasty reactions. I haven't touched a roll in a restaurant for a very long time. Gluten-free bread and pasta is expensive so I barely eat any. The adjustment was easy for me since it meant not getting sick so there was an almost immediate reward for avoiding those products. You can learn to like things that didn't seem so great before (corn tortillas for me!) and you get creative (putting tuna salad on tortilla chips instead of bread).

D-T

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
In my house we're not gluten free at all. Although we do try to avoid eating a lot of wheat. We do corn tortillas which we happen to like al ot better than flour tortillas anyway.

Instead of rice in my house we eat a lot of quinoa. It's a lot healthier. It's got tons of nutrients and lots of fiber and protein.

catalana

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
From a not-so-paleo perspective I like to vary the carbohydrates we eat.  We eat quite a lot of potatoes, cous cous, beans, brown rice, flatbread/naan.

ShanghaiStashing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:03:07 PM »
Rice
Couscous
Quinoa
Pilaf mix
Wild Rice
Amaranth

I don't eat pasta either (lost 40lbs eliminating almost all bread, pasta and white carbs). Eating whole grains, rice, veggies, limited meats works.

I have no idea what the paleo diet is but my simply philosophy has become 'if it's processed beyond simple cleaning and packaging in any way it doesn't go into my mouth'. Seems to work fine.

SMC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
What about potatos?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
It depends on the reason you're avoiding bread and pasta. Potatoes have a high glycemic index (approximately 100, like a spoonful of table sugar does), so if you're interested in eating for satiety they are as filling as jolly ranchers, and should be avoided. If you're avoiding wheat because of celiac-like concerns (like Mrs. MM), you have nothing to be concerned with, as potatoes are gluten-free.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Fiber. It can be found in beans, veggies, rice, quinoa, amaranth and millet. I eat a scoop of whole grains or beans instead of toast with meals. I haven't been to a Italian place in a long, long time. :) I don't know what to tell you if you like it, unfortunately.

In a salad, a fist full of kidney beans goes a long way. I also add equal parts chopped veg to lettuce (by weight) in my salads with a couple oz shredded meat and cheese crumbles.

As someone who's allergic, I've never been able to eat much pasta or pizza. Those, in particular, i stopped eating often around age 12.

You get used to it. If you're allergic you stop easy because you're reaction is intense pain. So now, when i see cake i see pain. It's a pretty easy choice now. The reality is that not everyone needs to live this way.

If you're doing it fer general health, it'll just take time to see/feel the results in your body. After a bit it's hard to go back.

redeyedtreefr0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
I would be doing it for general health, yes. Eating bread and pasta so far has not caused me any health problems, but I'd like to be a more fit person in general. I have a few very great examples in my family of how I do NOT want to look. I just have never even heard of things like quinoa (how is that pronounced?) and amaranth.

If you are in a house with others, and you generally have a communal meal, like dinner, do you all have any ideas of how to deal with that? My husband is the cook, and I'm sure substitutions would be fine for some things, or abstinence, such as no butter bread with stew. He wouldn't mind substituting for spaghetti noodles. We've done that once (though not for our roommate, it was just us two) using broccoli stalks once. We've also made cauliflower "bread". Those were excellent, if different, garlic breadsticks and mini-pizzas. I'm not sure we can keep that up with our friend in the house. His favorite food is cheesecake (and he makes wonderful cheesecake too!).

If your bread is whole grain, that doesn't count as healthy? What makes some things like oats or rice better than bread?

Why is getting rid of bread and pasta supposed to be good for you? I suppose that should have been the first question I asked.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
quinoa (how is that pronounced?)

Keen-wah.

It's tasty stuff. Looks like couscous, tastes a little nutty. Cheap, filling, multi-purpose. Had it as everything from breakfast cereal to side dish to salad topper to main course. Cold or hot. Rinse it, cook it in water or broth. Have it plain, mix it with vegetables or meat or cheese or any combination there-of.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »
I would be doing it for general health, yes. Eating bread and pasta so far has not caused me any health problems, but I'd like to be a more fit person in general. I have a few very great examples in my family of how I do NOT want to look. I just have never even heard of things like quinoa (how is that pronounced?) and amaranth.

If you are in a house with others, and you generally have a communal meal, like dinner, do you all have any ideas of how to deal with that? My husband is the cook, and I'm sure substitutions would be fine for some things, or abstinence, such as no butter bread with stew. He wouldn't mind substituting for spaghetti noodles. We've done that once (though not for our roommate, it was just us two) using broccoli stalks once. We've also made cauliflower "bread". Those were excellent, if different, garlic breadsticks and mini-pizzas. I'm not sure we can keep that up with our friend in the house. His favorite food is cheesecake (and he makes wonderful cheesecake too!).

If your bread is whole grain, that doesn't count as healthy? What makes some things like oats or rice better than bread?

Why is getting rid of bread and pasta supposed to be good for you? I suppose that should have been the first question I asked.

1st http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa it's a lot like rice. Amaranth is the same idea is a relatively easy to break down grain.

Carbs are basically sugar, but slightly slower. However, it ends up working a lot like crack, once you start to come down off the high (Most people don't even notice the high, it's so normal.) you crave more. When you switch to slow carbs, you'll (in theory) have less cravings for more later. It takes a bit to adjust that craving away.

I also wouldn't count out an allergy. Work with a nutritionist to determine, the allergen skin test doesn't work for many people. I didn't actually feel pain that way i do now while i was struggling. I actually felt discomfort, but i would have never said "pain". After a simple diet to help my digestion heal, food i was sensitive to gave me a pain reaction right away. It was totally weird.

It has not been too hard for me to accommodate any number of allergies; nuts, meat, gluten, ciguatera, and candida...and still have a very happy and rich social life, with monthly pot lucks. :)
Good Luck

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
I would be doing it for general health, yes. Eating bread and pasta so far has not caused me any health problems, but I'd like to be a more fit person in general.

So you just want to experiment with eating no wheat to see how it feels?  It doesn't make sense to me to eliminate something to improve your health, when you've already noted that it has not affected your health negatively in the past.

I think you are using 'healthy' here the same way a lot of bodybuilders use the phrase 'eating clean.'  Unless you actually have a physiological condition, like kisserofsinners was talking about, eating equal amounts of rice/wheat/oats or whatever will likely make no difference.  If you want, and if I can find it, I'll post a link to a good discussion from a bodybuilding forum where a smart guy I've known from bodybuilding forums for the past few years goes over why, controlling for a few variables like protein intake, micronutrients, etc, the source of calories is not as important as people think.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »
Where does one procure cheap quinoa? It's expensive 'round here. I do love the stuff, though. I use it in place of rice sometimes.

If you just can't part with bread maybe you can just make open face sandwhiches. I do that when I have gluten free bread around. It helps make the loaf last longer plus I don't like having too much bread in the way of my PB&J.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »
My Costco has it for $10/10lb.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
His favorite food is cheesecake (and he makes wonderful cheesecake too!).

Here are some links you may find a good starting point.
http://www.fathead-movie.com/
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/against-the-grain-how-wheat-wrecks-your-health.html

Fathead is a good documentary that introduced me to these ideas. I am not one to take a single source as pure fact so I did a lot more reading and research.
The second link is to an interview with the author of "Wheat Belly" which explains why it is supposed to be good for you.

One thing I do to not feel deprived is to reserve Friday as an eat what I want day. I call it "Fuck it Friday". Sometimes I still eat the same as the rest of the week. Sometimes I get a big pizza. I look at the long term picture, just like we do with FI. You may have one thing you just really don't want to give up. That is fine. It is more about what you do overall.

I read a few books, lots of articles, and eased into it myself. So I did experiment on myself even without ever feeling that I was having anything negative from wheat and/or carbs. But the difference to me personally was huge. I would suggest you "experiment". Try it for week or 3 and see how you feel. If you are like a lot of us you'll feel better. If not is it really a big loss?

Oh and I make cheesecake with almond flour crust. My own grandmother who gave me the recipe didn't know. So you can find ways around most things.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38:39 PM »
Most of the answers here are quite good, but I seem to have a slightly different take on this. I'm not low-carb, paleo, or allergic to wheat, but I still find that a low-grain diet has nutritional benefits. To me, grains are mostly a "filler" food. They're cheap and can help some with satiety, but don't provide the nutrients that many other types of foods can. Eating low-grain has allowed me to eat more fresh produce, and thus get more nutrients, while still keeping my calories at maintenance-level. Having reduced my grain intake, I can now hit almost all my micronutrient needs without any kind of supplementation. There's a lot of fighting about whether grains are good or bad for you, and a lot of scientific studies that are riddled with flaws, but I won't even go into that. My personal take on it is that grains aren't inherently bad (barring allergies or blood sugar concerns)- they've just become too large of a factor in our diet, and they've pushed out better (more nutrient-dense) food options, especially produce.

In response to your original question, there's a ton of food that you can eat other than bread or other grains. Depends on how restrictive you want to be and the reasons you want to do it. Like I said, I don't eat low-carb and I don't think grains are inherently bad, so I have a lot of flexibility. I just try to eat multiple kinds of produce for every meal, and I sub veggies and greens in place of most grain-heavy meals. For example, I might have eggs with peppers, onions, and tomatoes in the morning, a big salad with dark leafy greens, more fruit/veg on top, plus something filling (dressing, nuts, cheese, meat, etc.), and dinner is a toss-up. Common dinners include meat or fish with roasted seasonal vegetables, vegetable soups or stews, vegetarian burgers (made with quinoa or some type of bean), lentils, etc. I kill pasta cravings with roasted vegetables covered in marinara sauce. I eat fruit like a beast. Once you get to thinking about it, grains are only a very tiny portion of the types of food out there, we've just become over reliant on them.

I also still eat some grains, because as I said above, I don't think they're inherently bad. I just keep it to 1-2 servings a day at most, and I get the rest of my carbs through fruits and vegetables (and some dairy/nuts/etc). Grains for me are a side-dish or add-on rather than the backbone of most meals. For awhile, I did the primal eating thing and didn't eat any grains, but I found it didn't really have any additional benefits (versus low-grain eating) and it felt overly restrictive, and too expensive. So I went back to eating 1-2 servings of grains a day, and I'd recommend a lower-grain higher-produce diet to almost anyone.

Also, two notes because these always seem to come up in grain discussions:
1. Some grains are truly whole grains, but most bread/cereal/pasta products labelled "whole grain" in the store are loaded with crap. It's really difficult to find bread or cereal that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup or a blend of whole and processed grains. That's why oats and rice often have a better reputation in the health world- they're easier to find "whole". You can certainly make your own 100% whole grain bread/pasta or find it in a store or bakery with some effort, and either of those options are arguably as healthy as oats. Grain quality does matter, though it often gets ignored in the are-grains-good-or-bad conversation.

2. Carbs are not synonymous with grains. This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Carbs are a macronutrient that can be found in almost any whole food except meat- fruits, vegetables, nuts, dairy, etc. all have carbs. Different sources of carbs can have very different effects on the body. There's a lot of carb-hate going on in the fitness world right now and I think a lot of it stems from the annoying tendency to equate carbs with grains. The two are different. Specifying which one you mean when talking about healthiness and effects on the body can clear up a lot of confusion. Soap box rant over.

redeyedtreefr0g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
Just providing an update-

My husband found a diet he called Ketogenic, sort of like what epileptic folks can use to force their bodies into ketogenesis which reduces seizures. Basically, you try and cut out all carbs altogether, or for the epileptics, eat them only in a specific ratio. For us, we just avoided anything with carbs or sugars in it unless there was nearly equal fiber, I think. The body, lacking sugars as an easy source of energy, switches gears and turns to fats.

This diet is amazing. After an initial period of transition, like an all-out withdrawal, I find many questions and concerns I had to be answered. On this diet, all cravings vanish. Sure, bread looks good, but every time I break ketogenesis (recommended every few weeks by something hubby read) I find they are not as good and satisfying as I thought. During break times I go for fruits, or desserts, not bread and pasta. Cookies are disappointments. I noticed that normally if bread and such is an option, I seem to forget how to eat vegetables...

If I do think that I want something in particular while on the diet- such as sausages, or a salad- then having that particular thing seems to be fantastically rewarding. Maybe I can better decipher what my body needs and the foods I think sound good actually provide nutrients? I don't know, but I've had the best tunafish, steak, eggs, salad, almonds, etc of my entire life. If I try to have something that doesn't appeal to me- such as tuna, it really isn't good at all.

On the diet- when I'm hungry I really am hungry. A small amount of food then cures the hunger completely for several hours. No more mixed signals or weird upset tummies. If I'm thirsty then drinking water fixes it, go figure. I tend to automatically drink more, I think.

The best part is that this diet is high-fat. I can have all the delicious veggies I want covered in butter. I can have bacon. Sour cream, whole milk, cheese, all good.
I learned how to make sugar-free cheesecake with an almond meal crust. I discovered that I really do prefer my burgers wrapped in lettuce leaves, or without bread like some sort of covered steak. I HATE soggy bread, but finding out that I'm not missing anything without it was surprising to me. I've discovered that I no longer hate celery (several foods have been making their ways off my dislike list in the past year or so- tomatoes, sausage, now celery. raw onions stubbornly remain). When I want something crunchy for a snack, I can grab pork rinds. We had one successful morning near the beginning where Jamie completely cured my extremely strong wish for pancakes by using pork rinds for a batter, and diet rootbeer to make a sort of syrup for them. Spaghetti sauce can go over chunky vegetables. Pizza toppings can go onto a cauliflower or pork rind crust. Once we committed, it was easy to find ways to avoid the grains.

The diet has been great for both of us. My husband has mood swings very much driven by blood sugar levels- on the diet he became a nice constant. I feel good about what I eat, and also lost all water weight, so I feel better about myself and it is easier to make good choices for myself. It's interesting how that works.

Anyway, this is kind of long, sorry. I just wanted to share.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »
Just providing an update-

My husband found a diet he called Ketogenic, sort of like what epileptic folks can use to force their bodies into ketogenesis which reduces seizures. Basically, you try and cut out all carbs altogether, or for the epileptics, eat them only in a specific ratio. For us, we just avoided anything with carbs or sugars in it unless there was nearly equal fiber, I think. The body, lacking sugars as an easy source of energy, switches gears and turns to fats.

Awesome!  That diet's great for mostly sedentary people, or those whose exercise doesn't involve moving fast.  If you increase your activity level, or someone else doing this did, you would need a few more carbs thrown in.  It is important to have at least some carbs, as they are required in small amounts to keep your brain working, but you probably get those as long as you're eating plenty of vegetables.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 10:24:54 PM »

annod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
potatoes, yam, plantain, root veggies are better starch sources. Even small amount of white rice is okay for most people who can't tolerate grain. I just had spaghetti squash for dinner. yummy

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 06:20:26 AM »
My husband found a diet he called Ketogenic
Sounds great!  Do your homework and do whatever works for you. 

Lot of good reads out there more or less related to the diet/lifestyle you are trying out.  Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Apple), Tim Ferriss (The 4-Hour Body/Work Week/Chef), Abel James (The Fat-Burning Man), Dave Asprey (The Bulletproof Executive), and Peter Attia (The Eating Academy) to name a few and their blogs.  Most have books and podcasts.

Peter Attia just gave a TED talk about diabetes and obesity and how the conventional causeway might be backwards.
http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes.html
Another Attia video that dives into metabolic syndrome and his personal experimentation.  Long but very good.  It was recently posted on Tim Ferriss' blog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »
My fundamental problem with rice/pasta/bread is that those types of food generally are considerably easier to eat a lot of.

Portion control is just so much more difficult.

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 08:06:09 AM »
quinoa (how is that pronounced?)

Keen-wah.

It's tasty stuff. Looks like couscous, tastes a little nutty. Cheap, filling, multi-purpose. Had it as everything from breakfast cereal to side dish to salad topper to main course. Cold or hot. Rinse it, cook it in water or broth. Have it plain, mix it with vegetables or meat or cheese or any combination there-of.

It is also exquisitely delicious as a breakfast food. Mash a banana, throw in half a tsp. vanilla extract, a handful of almonds and dried cranberries and some butter/coconut oil for taste, plus a pinch of something sweet if wanted (coconut sugar/maplesyrup/xylitol/agave).

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
Hello fellow Keto-an! I have been following a ketogenic diet myself for several months to combat auto-immune disease. So far I am down 20 pounds and have greatly reduced my pain and cravings. Keto on!

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
They make gluten free bread and pasta made from rice flour. I don't eat much of that... I eat mostly meat and veggies. I've lost 20lbs of fat going sans wheat! I also quit drinking soda too.

It can be tough to start..But if you just start cutting wheat one meal a day, then make it 2, its becomes really easy. I love eating GL/Paleo. Almost 40yrs old and I feel great.

thef0x

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
1) Let go of the belief that you need baked goods. 

2) Consume high levels of FAT on a low-carb diet to actually maintain the diet and not cheat.

3) Try to reduce or eliminate "sweet" tastes -- anything with added real or fake sugar, e.g diet coke.

4) Enjoy your veggies!

5) Enjoy fatty meat!

6) Wraps!  Soups! 

7) Google has a million alternatives to any recipe that you'd like to make that is low-carb/paleo/primal etc. 

And finally

8) Notice how much better you feel:  physical ability, energy, concentration, bloat <-- the true benefits of this diet are noticed very quickly!  No more 2pm naps!!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
I don't "get" quinoa. It's more expensive than nuts but less tasty. The best anybody can describe its flavor as is "nutty". Like basically every other resident of the First World who tries even a little bit to eat reasonably, I have a broad and varied diet that gives more than enough of all the nutrients I need. Why would I pay $8 a pound to add quinoa to that?

(I ask, because we bought some at Wegman's to make granola with. It didn't make the granola any better, but my 1-year-old did poop some out whole.)

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »
As you can probably tell from others here, you've just stumbled through the looking glass into the world of low-carb diets. There are seemingly endless variations, but the general idea is that you drastically lower your carb intake and replace it with fat, fiber, and protein. Some question why you might reduce your carbs if you feel otherwise healthy. That's what I used to think too. I had always been very fit, but probably 5-10 pounds above my ideal weight. When I cut carbs, I shed those extra pounds and now look and feel better than I did five years ago. Better mental stamina too.

Similar to not understanding how the benefits of FIRE haven't caught on everywhere, I sometimes wonder how places like Pizza Hut are still in business. The immediate gratification from loading up on carbs is not worth the potential long-term issues.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
Why do people think quinoa is low carb?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
Holy Necro-thread Batman!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Due to health-reasons, I'm constantly reminded to watch my intake of pasta, bread, rice, and other such carbs. This is very difficult to do since I love all of those things. I find myself able to avoid these things for short sprints but eventually I fall prey and end up indulging myself in one or all. How do you guys, who went through this "transition," actually do it? I mean, aside from "disciplining" yourselves, what practical things have you done to tackle this and make it easier [to eat nothing but salad and protein every day lol]

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »
Find alternatives. For me it was things such as spaghetti squash instead of pasta, nut flours to make baked goods with (baked goods was always my weakness). And you forgot fat. Fat is good. As long as it is from natural sources. So meat fat good. Nut fat good. Chemically extracted oils (vegetable oil, etc.) bad.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!