Author Topic: Newly divorced, sitting on jewelry. What to do?  (Read 17350 times)

brownetowne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Newly divorced, sitting on jewelry. What to do?
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
Well here I am. Newly, happily divorced. I got suckered into a lot of decisions I'm not proud of, many of which would be considered not very Mustachian. Luckily, she ended up wanting the house in the rich neighborhood, and even though I know I gave up more than I should have in the settlement, at least I don't have to think about almost five figure taxes and the pretense that goes along with driving into the sidewalk-less neighborhood and passing the governor's mansion everyday. But I digress.

My dilemma is this: I was an idiot and bought a big fucking fancy ring. Brand name bullshit setting. And a rock over a carat. "insured value" sits at $13k, even thought my cash payment was much less than that. But as all you badasses know, diamonds, while forever, are certainly not an awesome investment. That's problem item #1. Now, I might get married again in the future. And being pragmatic, I'd be happy to pull that stone out of the stupid Hearts on Fire setting and drop it into something different. But not all women are that practical. Some are even superstitious. And dammit, as I type this I begin to realize I might actually be a believer of that crap myself.

On to problem item #2. And please don't vomit in your mouth, or on your keyboard. I mean, if you do, just don't remind me about it. Problem item #2 is the men's wedding band. You ready for this? It's Tiffanys. Yeah, I said it. The jewelry that comes in a blue box (which I have). And while disgusting that I actually spent my hard earned dollars on this item, I'm actually thankful in a very small way. Turns out this thing actually holds its value. At just over $2k MSRP, eBay listings are coming up at just that, and the same ring on Tiffanys website today has actually increased in value by 5% from the time I purchased it 2 years ago. (oh yeah, side note: marriage was very short lived).

So the question is: what do I do with this crap? It's been on craigslist for a month. Very few nibbles.

Women's engagement ring: $13k insured value. I thought I could reasonably expect $7k out of it.
Men's wedding band: $2,300 MSRP. It's platinum so it should polish well.

What would you do with these items?
Extract the stone, keep it for the future, sell the setting for whatever I can?
Polish up the men's band and put it on eBay?

Help!
And please, oh please, leave your judgement off the screen. This piece of my history is not something I'm proud of, so even typing it out on this anonymous forum is a bit of a risk for me.

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: Newly divorced, sitting on jewelry. What to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
Only recommendation I have for you: DON'T sell them on Ebay!

My son sold on Ebay an engagement ring (girl turned him down) he bought a little over 1 year ago, the buyer claimed it "wasn't as described". Ebay forced my son to refund him by grabbing the money in his PayPal account. During that time my son refunded the guy but NOT through the official Ebay process mistakenly. Ebay then refunded the guy AGAIN by taking the money from my sons account. AND the guy kept the ring, which WAS as described per documentation from the jeweler, because the buyer completely lied about it all to Ebay, and they fell for it.

My son lost $3,000 with no recourse.

Ebay's great in many cases, but it's quite dangerous to sell certain things such as rings and laptops without the buyer getting it, and getting his money back. Ebay will side with the buyer way before they will back up the seller.

surfhb

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
Put it on Craigslist again and take the first offer thats given you......tell them to make an offer.      Invest the money into your ROTH and Move on with life.   

The insured value means nothing.....youd be lucky to get $1-2K for both
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:19:17 PM by surfhb »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »
I have been working at a jewellery store for almost six months. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, because I'm relatively new to the game :)

-Definitely get the platinum ring professionally polished. A ring that looks like new may have a better chance at selling. Tiffany's may even do this for free? Not sure but I'd check there first. (They always advertise that they will take care of their customers... Else why buy a Tiffany's ring?)

-Branch out. Www.idonowidont.com, loupetroop.com, rubylane.com, etsy.com... The list goes on. I'm not sure about the fees for these sites, but if you're not getting bites on CL it's probably because the price is too high or people are looking elsewhere.

-Consider getting a recent appraisal for the diamond ring. Might cost $65 but will increase the likelihood of selling.

-Abandon all hope of selling these rings for a good price. Better to be pleasantly surprised than to get your hopes up. The resale value of jewellery (except antique, rare, or coveted name brand) is shockingly low. You didn't mention the specs of the diamond... Is it a good one?

-Make your posting photos excellent. Provide a detailed description. This is where the appraisal comes in handy.

-On that note, get the diamond ring cleaned for free. Most jewellery stores provide that service. If it is white gold, consider getting it "re-dipped" or rhodium plated again.

-How old are ya? Got any kids or family members that would love a heavily discounted or free family heirloom? Beggars can't be choosers!

Good luck :) Let me know if I can help in any way.

nodomo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:54:22 PM »
I went through this exact situation a few years ago.  It will be hard to resell the diamond in the secondary market (ebay, Craigslist, etc) without losing 50% or more.

If you think you will get married again, keep the diamond for now and when you are ready to propose, go to www.Pricescope.com and look for a reputable jeweler that will take your diamond in on a trade for another diamond.  As long as your diamond is GIA or AGS certified, a reputable jeweler will see value in it and happy to have you "trade up". 

If you don't think you will get married again, then yeah I would just try to unload the diamond any way possible and get whatever cash back out of it that you can.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Put it on Craigslist again and take the first offer thats given you......tell them to make an offer.      Invest the money into your ROTH and Move on with life.   

The insured value means nothing.....youd be lucky to get $1-2K for both

yes, pretty nearly. Insured value means nothing, they inflate it, it's all part of the "jewelry as  investment" hype.

Are you actually in a market where Tiffany ring will mean something? I mean, if you are in Outter Podunk people may not care. The melt down value of precious metals is high right now, co certainly it's worth something just not retail marketing price.

As far as the engagement ring--get it sold NOW before it goes further out of style. While it would be interesting to find a future bride who is mustachean enough to not mind your ex's ring, in reality, the setting will be out dated by then and besides, why put a future bride to that test? That seems extreme even for me, and I love vintage, used jewelry. I'm not sure about the PP suggestion about saving the center stone for exchange unless it is a nice round cut diamond. Any other fancy shape will be out of fashion in a few years (cough cough cushions.)

Just chuck it all, it's a lesson learned, and move on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:09:02 PM by iris lily »

brownetowne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
Great suggestions, all of you. Thank you so much!

Since the ring does have a certification on it and was purchased by a local retailer, I am going to take the item back for a free cleaning. At that time I'm going to ask about their "upgrade" policy. Maybe even see if they'll buy it back/

As for the men's Tiffany & Co. ring, I'll see if the retailer can polish that as well before posting on craigslist and all the other website suggestions. Which, by the way...
Great site recommendations! Since I am well versed in photography and have a good lens, I think it won't be hard to improve on the iPhone photos I've already taken. In case anyone's curious, here are the listings. Does anyone have suggestions on copy improvement? I'm wondering if my celebratory tone is turning people off:

http://madison.craigslist.org/jwl/4689408243.html
http://madison.craigslist.org/jwl/4700581466.html

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »
Maybe see if you can trade the jewelry instead of selling it.  Might be able to use it for value towards your next lucky lady.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:05:31 AM »
I'd probably just pawn them. You won't get what they're worth, but at least they're gone. Also, if you see something you like at the pawn shop, you can probably get more money if you ask for store credit.

I'm pretty practical... but don't save your ex's diamond for your next wife. It just seems a little tacky.

Instead, look for a new wife who doesn't care for diamonds. ;)

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 07:47:59 AM »
I once sold an engagment ring from the girl I did not marry (thankfully).  Every argument we had, she'd hand me back the ring, and then say sorry and beg the next day.  Eventually I told her that next time she did that, I'd keep the ring.  She did so 2 weeks before the wedding and I cut off all contact with her from that point on (been 10 years now).

Anyways, sold on ebay for 25% of the value.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:52:55 AM »
Ehh, don't pawn them. I personally like diamonds and have purchased second hand pieces many times before. You do have the diamond priced pretty high for second hand. Look at loupetroop.com, diamondbistro.com and join Pricescope.com and look in the pre-loved forum to see what other 1 carat stones are selling for. I'd guess $4-5k, maybe even less, unfortunately. If you can trade them in for store credit to be used later, that might not be a bad deal, either. Also, your photos probably aren't doing the rings any justice. People who buy jewelry online look for macro photos, close up shots of the diamond pattern (head on so you can see the cut quality). Check out http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ or www.whiteflash.com to see their photos of rings and stones. I think listing on loupetroop.com is free and diamondbistro.com is a minimal charge, and those are places that are frequented by diamond lovers, and you use PayPal to get paid, so you do have recourse if something goes awry. I have purchased jewelry on eBay but it can be a sketchy place unless you know the seller is reputable, so I wouldn't recommend listing it there.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:54:34 AM by rubybeth »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:13 AM »
First . . . stop sitting on the jewelery.  It might be damaged by this action, and most jewelery is uncomfortable to sit on for extended periods.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
I would say Craigslist it or maybe sell it to an small estate jeweler if you think you can get a better deal.

I'm a woman and I'm not superstitious, but I still love diamonds. I would want the guy to give me a ring that he picked for me and my personality than someone else's personality.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
Doesn't really matter what you do with the ring.   You might even frame it and hang it on a wall as a constant reminder. 

Divorces are expensive because they are worth it.

I'm still amazed that you would even consider remarriage in the future????  I'm not saying don't date or don't have a steady,  but after what you've been through I would think it would take an act of congress to remarry.

WARNING -- to all ring buyers.  Clearly from this post you can cut your ring purchases by at least 50% in the future by using the net.   So never buy retail for diamonds. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »

My son sold on Ebay an engagement ring (girl turned him down) he bought a little over 1 year ago, the buyer claimed it "wasn't as described". Ebay forced my son to refund him by grabbing the money in his PayPal account. During that time my son refunded the guy but NOT through the official Ebay process mistakenly. Ebay then refunded the guy AGAIN by taking the money from my sons account. AND the guy kept the ring, which WAS as described per documentation from the jeweler, because the buyer completely lied about it all to Ebay, and they fell for it.

Ebay's great in many cases, but it's quite dangerous to sell certain things such as rings and laptops without the buyer getting it, and getting his money back. Ebay will side with the buyer way before they will back up the seller.

I always try to avoid the super high dollar items like newer jewelry and electronics on eBay. Too many people out to scam you. If you're doing antiques, that's a whole different (safer) business.

And your son screwed up big time. Why didn't he say "just return the ring if you're not satisfied with it." He'd have been out the ~$10 shipping and insurance but would have the ring again. Don't deal with buyers who are just fishing for a partial refund.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
Doesn't really matter what you do with the ring.   You might even frame it and hang it on a wall as a constant reminder. 

Divorces are expensive because they are worth it.

I'm still amazed that you would even consider remarriage in the future????  I'm not saying don't date or don't have a steady,  but after what you've been through I would think it would take an act of congress to remarry.

WARNING -- to all ring buyers.  Clearly from this post you can cut your ring purchases by at least 50% in the future by using the net.   So never buy retail for diamonds.

We got our rings from one of the mall kiosks. Nothing too fancy. And we got the lifetime polish (really not expensive). Definitely worth it and I'm gonna get mine re-done soon!

For the wife, I got her a pearl (also from the mall). It looks HUGE compared to a regular stone and it's a fraction of the price. She actually left the ring in her pocket and washed her jeans, popping the pearl off. They sent it back out to Hawaii and we got it back within about a week. Only cost us $20. And it looked better than it did new!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
I'd try to sell back to the original stores.  Tiffany's may not do that sort of thing, but unless they truly, truly ripped you off, the jewelry store should be happy taking them back at 50-60% with the plan of reselling at a price near what you paid.  They don't have the burden of having a story that taints them and with engagement ring could separate the diamond from the setting.

Even if the woman does not have actual input on ring/diamond selection, she'll likely inquire where it was purchased.  They guy having to say Craigslist isn't going to win points unless his future wife is already fairly Mustachian.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »

I always try to avoid the super high dollar items like newer jewelry and electronics on eBay. Too many people out to scam you. If you're doing antiques, that's a whole different (safer) business.

And your son screwed up big time. Why didn't he say "just return the ring if you're not satisfied with it." He'd have been out the ~$10 shipping and insurance but would have the ring again. Don't deal with buyers who are just fishing for a partial refund.

I know he did, and he does also, but he can be quite headstrong, and shuts off all advice from his dad, because "I(dad) just don't know how it is nowadays", LOL!

You hope and TRY to teach your kids so they can learn from your mistakes of the past, only to finally realize that many of them won't listen, and simply HAVE to learn it the hard way...

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
I'd try to sell back to the original stores.  Tiffany's may not do that sort of thing, but unless they truly, truly ripped you off, the jewelry store should be happy taking them back at 50-60% with the plan of reselling at a price near what you paid.  They don't have the burden of having a story that taints them and with engagement ring could separate the diamond from the setting.

No, Tiffany's doesn't buy back stuff.  If the OP is anywhere near an auction house that seems to be the best bet rather than trying Craigslist. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Newly divorced, sitting on jewelry. What to do?
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
My opinion, take it or leave it:

Your ads play up the idea that you're so glad you're free! - not a sentiment you want to highlight to a potential ring buyer. They might think twice. The best ads I've seen are on idonowidont.com. They focus on the happiness and beauty the ring brought them, and they hope it can bring someone else the same. Some adds mention that the owner is getting an upgrade (thus negating any potential bad divorce ju-ju). Check out ads for ideas.

I went onto bluenile.com to see how much a similar ring would go for brand new. Just under $7800. Your price isn't low enough. Why would someone buy a preowned diamond, when they could buy a new one for just a little more money? People buy used when they feel like they're getting a crazy good deal.

Consider what you spent in this ring a sunk cost. That money is GONE. Any money you recoup will be free money :D and you won't have the weight of this jewellery weighing down on you anymore!

Best of luck :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »

Ehh, don't pawn them. I personally like diamonds and have purchased second hand pieces many times before. You do have the diamond priced pretty high for second hand. Look at loupetroop.com, diamondbistro.com and join Pricescope.com and look in the pre-loved forum to see what other 1 carat stones are selling for. I'd guess $4-5k, maybe even less, unfortunately. If you can trade them in for store credit to be used later, that might not be a bad deal, either. Also, your photos probably aren't doing the rings any justice. People who buy jewelry online look for macro photos, close up shots of the diamond pattern (head on so you can see the cut quality). Check out http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ or www.whiteflash.com to see their photos of rings and stones. I think listing on loupetroop.com is free and diamondbistro.com is a minimal charge, and those are places that are frequented by diamond lovers, and you use PayPal to get paid, so you do have recourse if something goes awry. I have purchased jewelry on eBay but it can be a sketchy place unless you know the seller is reputable, so I wouldn't recommend listing it there.

+1

Better photos will help you.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »
I'm not sure if others agree, but this kind of detailed, romanticized description is what appeals to me (see below). You wouldn't have to make yours as long, but maybe take some inspiration from it:

"This is a truly stunning Art Deco platinum diamond engagement ring with very fine quality diamonds.  Found together at auction with it's wedding band inscribed from 1926 (also available in my shop), this ring will be accompanied by it's independant appraisal done by a conservative GIA gemologist and certified appraiser.  (the total replacement value of this ring with it's white gold diamond band, available seperately, is $6,700.00.)

Crafted of solid platinum, this ring features 29 super bright and clean diamonds in a striking, very Deco geometric design with a total estimated carat weight of 1.25 carats.  (please note that there are *no* dark areas in these diamonds...any dark areas in my photos are just reflections of these very white and fiery stones!)

Measuring approximately 5.76 mm in diameter, the .65 carat center stone is a transitional cut diamond with a small open culet and all the fire I love to see in these hard to find old cut diamonds.  (transitional cuts are the step between European cuts and today's modern brilliant cut diamonds, so they are a type of brilliant cut diamond, but usually have a small to tiny culet and are extremely fiery.  They were only made for a very short time and so are difficult to find nowadays.)  This diamond has been judged to have I color (in the near-colorless range), with VS1 clarity and no fluorescence.  It's in wonderful original condition and is held in place with four double prong settings that make it look even a bit larger than it already is.

On either side of the fiery center diamond, are two bright and clear straight baguette cut diamonds.  Channel set, they create an Art Deco step design, with the larger diamond closest to the center stone, and the smaller baguettes in the lower step on each side.  These diamonds measure approximately 3.2 x 1.7 mm to 3.5 x 1.70 mm, (estimated at approximately .36 carats total weight) and have been graded to have G-H color and VS1 to VS2 clarity.  Again, these stones are in great original condition.

Twenty-two sparkly single cut diamonds are bead set along the outer rails of the ring, 11 to each side, following the elegantly curving profile of the ring.  With two more gracing the shoulders, one to each side.  This gives the ring great sparkle from every angle and adds to the substantial presence on the hand.  Measuring approximately 1.5 mm in diameter each, these small diamonds are G-H color with VS1 to VS2 clarity, and have an estimated total carat weight of .24 carats, for a total estimated 1.25 carats in the ring.

Substantial and striking without being at all garish, this ring has a beautiful and prominant presence on the hand.  The face measures approxiately 8 x 16.3 with a rise off the finger of approximately 4.8 mm.  It's comfortable on the finger and it's modest rise makes it very suitable for every day wear.

Simple and elegant, the band is still in good, strong condition.  Inside it retains a clear maker's mark of "G.M. Co" as well as a mark for 10% iridium platinum.  (This is a good quality platinum allloy used frequently during the Art Deco era.  Iridium is a member of the precious platinum family and was added to platinum to increase it's strength, hardness and whiteness of color.  It's still used occasionally nowadays by a few high end makers, and it's an alloy I am always pleased to find since it tends to stand up to time and wear so nicely.)  The total weight of the ring is 3.90 grams.

Size 5.25 on my ring mandrel, this ring could be sized within reason by a good jeweler who is experienced in working with platinum.  **  Please read my policies page for more information regarding sizing and feel free to message me with any questions or to obtain a quote from my trusted bench jeweler.  This ring will be shipped via Express insured mail within the US, which is usually 2 days shipping time.

A very fine quality and strking 1920's Art Deco engagement ring...ready to become your family's heirloom..."

You could highlight that a solitaire is a classic and traditional style, that she will love for years to come. That solitaire is the perfect setting to feature a high-quality stone such as this. Etc. etc.

Must_Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Ok.  I read "Newly divorced" in the title and thought, isn't this the worst time to sell the ring? You're about to encounter buyers who want a fair price that will feel unfair to you.  You've got enough reason to feel anger from a recent divorce.  If you don't need the money right now, put the damn thing in a safety deposit box, out of sight and out of mind.  If you do need the money right now, ask a friend, a brother, or a sister to sell it.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »

I know he did, and he does also, but he can be quite headstrong, and shuts off all advice from his dad, because "I(dad) just don't know how it is nowadays", LOL!

You hope and TRY to teach your kids so they can learn from your mistakes of the past, only to finally realize that many of them won't listen, and simply HAVE to learn it the hard way...

:) I've been there before! I guess my screwups were stupid speeding tickets when I was a teenager...

eBay can be a harsh mistress if you let your emotions get too involved. You can't take returns personally and you have to get put in safety nets for high dollar items. Very good advice from others though!

If you do end up selling it on eBay, get shipping insurance, take a ton of pictures, maybe even have a jeweler clean it too. I'd even argue that you could let a photographer (maybe a friend looking to increase their portfolio) take some pictures.

Divorce must suck. Don't fall off the deep end. You'll figure it all out.

brownetowne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.

Some great tips here.

While newly divorced, my situation has been maturing for well over a year. I'm much less attached to the item, and the stupid amount of money I spent on it in the first place. I think I can reasonably expect $6k out of this, and I'll be pursuing better copy, better photos, more listings on a wider variety of sites, all while re-visiting the original jeweler to see about polishing and trade-in/ upgrade opportunities.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted! thanks again

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
Thanks again, everyone.

Some great tips here.

While newly divorced, my situation has been maturing for well over a year. I'm much less attached to the item, and the stupid amount of money I spent on it in the first place. I think I can reasonably expect $6k out of this, and I'll be pursuing better copy, better photos, more listings on a wider variety of sites, all while re-visiting the original jeweler to see about polishing and trade-in/ upgrade opportunities.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted! thanks again

I looked at your listing for the e-ring. Be sure to include ALL of the stats, including cut grade and the grading institution.

You've got  a round brilliant stone of 1 carat, so that's the classic stone and it's much easier to sell than fancy cuts, or stones in diamond surrounded settings.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »
Would a local jeweler let you race it in for a different item, maybe a watch for you, or some sort of fancy something for your mom? Just a thought.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
By the way, be careful if you take it into a jewelers for cleaning, or anything else and it leaves your eyesight for very long. There are plenty of unscrupulous ones that'll swap out your real diamond for a CZ or equivalent that looks the same at a regular glance.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

By the way, be careful if you take it into a jewelers for cleaning, or anything else and it leaves your eyesight for very long. There are plenty of unscrupulous ones that'll swap out your real diamond for a CZ or equivalent that looks the same at a regular glance.

I work at a jewellery store, and while I'm sure this COULD happen... I'm gonna say it's unlikely. It would take too much time to swap, you'd need a goldsmith there to do it, you'd need to have the right sized replacement on hand, and it risks the entire reputation of the establishment. YMMV

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:56 AM »
the silver lining: 

Use this as an opportunity to learn how to sell something on ebay and begin selling other stuff.  Nice side hustle income.

WGH

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
Feel bad for you OP anytime I hear people talking about jewelry being valuable I tell them to test that theory by going and trying to sell a piece on their own....

Best bet is like others have mentioned try to sell it to a jewelry store and prepare to only receive less than 50% of it's "value".

Best of luck to you.

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »

I would want the guy to give me a ring that he picked for me and my personality than someone else's personality.
Antimustachian alert: there's no such thing as a diamond matching a personality, besides how much the jewel industry wants people to believe it. :)

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
I am divorced and kept my ring.  After hanging onto it for years I finally took it back to the jewelry store where my ex had purchased it. They were happy to buy it back (stone and bands) for basically wholesale price.  Think I got about 50% of what my ex had originally paid. I felt quite pleased all things considered.

Amanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »

I would want the guy to give me a ring that he picked for me and my personality than someone else's personality.
Antimustachian alert: there's no such thing as a diamond matching a personality, besides how much the jewel industry wants people to believe it. :)

+1

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »

Yes, your son fucked up. Here's how you sell very expensive items on ebay:

Set up your account. Link to a bank account. Sell your item. Move money into bank account. Unlink bank account. Withdraw money. Now ebay can't claw back the cash. If someone actually wants to return it, sure, refund them -- once the returned item is back in your hand.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »

+1

Well, women mean this in a "fashion" sense. There are rings in a contemporary style, rings with a vintage style, rings that are small and delicate, rings that are flashy and boisterous, etc.

I have a solitaire because I like simplicity and frankly, way back then when choosing an e-ring, I was overwhelmed with anything other than one simple stone. I'm not a shopper. This "fit my personality!"

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:29 PM »
You'll get so little for the rings that you may as well just hold onto them for the next marriage (if you plan to get remarried someday in the future.)  Jewelry is a ridiculous racket.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »
My ex did this: kept the ring from his previous broken off engagement and reused it for us. He was at least upfront and a bit shamefaced about it.  I have to say I'm really not into rings and the usual wedding traditions for the sake of it. I did (and still do) find the idea of re-using either the ring or the gem pretty tacky/offensive. To be honest I'd rather have no ring.  Seriously.  And definitely don't want to be expected to wear someone else's ring every day for the rest of my life.

Same advice as everyone else: there's a huge markup on retail, you won't get nearly as much as you think. Sunk cost. Try to let it go and move on.

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »
You guys who say the ring must match your personality or wouldn't use "someone else's ring", etc, how do you feel about family heirlooms?

I would never have a ring bought to my name (as I don't), but if I had gotten a ring that was used in his family for a few generations, I would have loved it, even if 10 previous fiancées and ex-wives had worn it (considering I'm okay with all these previous serious relationships and everything is sorted out).

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
You guys who say the ring must match your personality or wouldn't use "someone else's ring", etc, how do you feel about family heirlooms?

I would never have a ring bought to my name (as I don't), but if I had gotten a ring that was used in his family for a few generations, I would have loved it, even if 10 previous fiancées and ex-wives had worn it (considering I'm okay with all these previous serious relationships and everything is sorted out).

Stating the obvious: there's a world of difference between wearing your DH's grandmother's ring, and wearing that of his his ex-wife/fiancee's. Sheesh.

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »

That's my favourite approach: easy and zero cost, if one can acquire the heirloom for free from family. :) else of course no ring would be the most mustachian option, followed by the cheapest ring found.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
It could also be reset into a lovely necklace (that's what my SIL did with hers after divorce).

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »

Stating the obvious: there's a world of difference between wearing your DH's grandmother's ring, and wearing that of his his ex-wife/fiancee's. Sheesh.

Gosh yes.

And theoretically, Grandma's ring may not "fit my personality" because I don't like old, antique, or vintage things. Now if Grandma has a big honkin' diamond solitaire in a pleasing shape, that's the best of both worlds because it can be set into a modern setting.

In real life I love my great-Aunt's ring that's 100 years old but I love Victorian houses and furniture, and find this Edwardian ring as modern as I would want to go for vintage jewelry.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:14:54 AM by iris lily »

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 05:47:26 AM »
The description on the men's ring needs work, and the box is not showing well in the photos either.  Just show the stamp on the ring if it says Tiffany and do not bother with the jewelry box.  You are looking for a status conscious buyer, play that up and don't mention your divorce.  Make it classy!

jka468

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:38 AM »
I may buy it. I'll be in Chicago this upcoming weekend and I could take a trip up to Madison and pay in cash for the right price. If you're interested shoot me a PM on here and we can talk things over.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!