Author Topic: Newbie-trying to get my self healthy financially and mentally (please be gentle)  (Read 46109 times)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Also your price of 29.99 is for 6 mbps (sad when my cell phone is faster than that lol) and that is only for 12 months after that it goes up to $ 49.95 - fuck Comcast!!!!

This got me thinking, how fast do you need your internet to be? Maybe instead of Republic wireless you should look into some of the budget cell options that offer data and ditch the home internet completely. Here I've seen ads for unlimited talk, text, and data from MetroPCS for $30/month. I don't know if that's available everywhere or any of the details, but if that would work for you, if could cut both your phone and internet expenses a lot.

When I lived overseas I was able to make my phone a hotspot so I could still connect my computer to the internet too, so aside from things being a little bit slower, nothing really changed.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Also your price of 29.99 is for 6 mbps (sad when my cell phone is faster than that lol) and that is only for 12 months after that it goes up to $ 49.95 - fuck Comcast!!!!

This got me thinking, how fast do you need your internet to be? Maybe instead of Republic wireless you should look into some of the budget cell options that offer data and ditch the home internet completely. Here I've seen ads for unlimited talk, text, and data from MetroPCS for $30/month. I don't know if that's available everywhere or any of the details, but if that would work for you, if could cut both your phone and internet expenses a lot.

When I lived overseas I was able to make my phone a hotspot so I could still connect my computer to the internet too, so aside from things being a little bit slower, nothing really changed.

So I looked into this...Sprint is my current cell service (soon to be republic) but I just wanted to check, I would have to add on a mobile hotspot - its super expensive (think it was $ 75 bucks!!!)and data is caped at like 3 gig per month ! Freaking bs!
I guess I'm just gonna have to give in to our Comcast overlords...

FML

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

So I looked into this...Sprint is my current cell service (soon to be republic) but I just wanted to check, I would have to add on a mobile hotspot - its super expensive (think it was $ 75 bucks!!!)and data is caped at like 3 gig per month ! Freaking bs!

FML
If you have Sprint phones, you can switch to Ting without buying a new handset.  I used to be a Sprint customer, and I switched to Ting to keep my iPhone.

Kevin S.

• Stubble

FML
If you have Sprint phones, you can switch to Ting without buying a new handset.  I used to be a Sprint customer, and I switched to Ting to keep my iPhone.

Small update from me. Hope everyone had a great memorial weekend!

Unfortunately this is not an option for me! I just got a new phone with sprint. I am leasing it and have to pay $ 20 extra per month - I called them to see what the cancellation fee would be, over $ 350 !!!! Since I'm leasing I would be breaking the lease. Way to go me for not reading the policy. Oh well...when my lease is up in about 10 months I'm going to republic or ting and saying goodbye to all this bs.

My Comcast, ugh...I can't find anything else better for internet. If I cancel my tv it will go down from 80 to 40 a month for the first 12 months then climb back up to $ 50-60 a month after the 1 yr agreement. I'm honestly just thinking f it all and cancel it outright! I don't absolutely need internet at my house - I can go to the rec center, library, coffee shops or the million other spots for wifi when I need it! Still this sucks...big time!

My car - currently up on craigslist and CarMax. Have had a couple resposes but they all seem like tire kickers so far.

Debating if I really wanna hold on to my motorcycle. Would be a nice chunk of change that I could use to pay down my debt quicker.

On the job front - have an interview with progressive - should be a good bump in pay $ 50k/yr as compared to my current 42k/yr

My ex-wife has agreed to take over the loan completely - guess her current boyfriend is willing to co-sign for her. I can't wait to get this loan off my books!

What else? I'm enjoying the simple things in life. Had a couple nice long walks with the lady over the weekend. Really need to look at buying some cheap bicycles. I like walking but would much prefer to ride 2 wheels - even if it's only chevro-legs powered!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache

My Comcast, ugh...I can't find anything else better for internet. If I cancel my tv it will go down from 80 to 40 a month for the first 12 months then climb back up to $ 50-60 a month after the 1 yr agreement. I'm honestly just thinking f it all and cancel it outright! I don't absolutely need internet at my house - I can go to the rec center, library, coffee shops or the million other spots for wifi when I need it! Still this sucks.

What a lot of us do is call the thieves cable companies back after the one year contract and ask for the new subscriber rate or threaten to switch. This hour of work once a year will save heaps of $$$. We do it every single year, when our internet rate goes back up. I keep any propaganda that comes in the mail from competitors to use as ammunition.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Selling your own motorcycle to pay down debt sounds like a good idea.  Then once you unload the car payment and transfer your ex-wife's motorcycle debt you will be making some progress!

Do you have anything else you could sell to pay down debt?

How is your credit score, maybe you could find some ways to lower the interest on your other debts to help get them paid down faster.

I didn't run your cell phone costs, so I don't know if it's worth pursuing...but here is a calculator to see if canceling your cell phone plan now would be a good idea or not...I know the $350 cancel fee is intimidating, but in some cases it's either pay now or pay it later and you could end up saving money by just switching now and take the hit.
Try running your numbers through this simple calculator and see if it's a benefit to switch now.

http://www.techmeshugana.com/tools/wirelessroi.html

I know you said you looked into Republic Wireless, but I use PTEL and pay $20/mo, no contract. I purchased a simple unlocked smartphone. The coverage has been great, no problems, but I live in the midwest, if I recall PTEL runs off of T-Mobile's infrastructure (?)

Great to see the changes you are making! :)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
So another quick update along with some advice on my car situation.

I have not had any luck on selling my car currently on craigslist or cars.com

I think my asking price is fair and about $ 500 below blue book.

I went to CarMax and did the online appraisal via autonation - both offered me 14k.

I currently owe 16,800 - it doesn't seem worth it to me to sell my car right now and take such a huge loss on it.

Wanted to know what you fellow mustachianners felt about this?

Should I just take the hit and get out of the car payment / insurance / registration - also my registration is due on the new car and I (per CarMax) can't sell the vehicle until it's registered in my name - so there goes at least $ 500 bucks for registration.

I keep going back to saying screw it all and file bankruptcy...I know this is not wise but I feel trapped (of course I know this is my own doing - and my dumbass impulsive decisions)

Motorcycle deal with the ex-wife - that fell through. She can't get financed even with a co-signer. So i'm looking at selling it - she is ok with this. Bike is worth 13,500 - currently owe 14,400  - however it does have an extended warranty that I could possibly cancel and get some money out of - or pay back towards the loan and hopefully not take a loss on the motorcycle as well.

Good news is my motorcycle is up for sale! Should be sold shortly. I sold some of my car parts, odds and ends and have made 1200 bucks in profit!

Comcast still needs to be dealt with...will be calling them this week to either cancel outright or see what deal they can offer me - I will not pay over $ 50 / month for internet 

Phone is now with cricket - pay $ 35 a month! Stoked about that !

Had a big test over the weekend - Glasses broke and need replacement - went to lenscrafters and bought a nice frame and also had an eye test for $ 150 bucks! Old me would have spent way over that ! In fact I had the nice sales rep pull up my file. Last time I spent $ 600 bucks for eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses!

Really think I'm gonna nail this FI thing ! Anyway happy Monday all!

ROY2007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It's been fun following this thread Kevin. Hope you find a buyer for your car and motorcycle. Awesome that you were able to sell some stuff you don't need for $1,200! Keep it up!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
I've been following too, Kevin, and just wanted to add my encouragement.  You are doing great!  Keep it up!

Have you been cooking more at home? 

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Thanks "ROY2007" & "Trifele" appreciate that !

Hopefully both my car and moto sell quick and I don't have to completely take it in the shorts lol

The motorcycle should be relatively easy since it's summer and they are in demand!

Going to go back to my storage unit this weekend and do some more sorting so I can hopefully

1. get rid of storage unit
2. make a good chunk of pennies from the sold crap that I no longer use or intend to use for any future car projects - " you are such a hoarder (with car parts) " per my girlfriend hahaah

As far as me cooking more at home - I unfortunately have not however I just went to the grocery store and have started cooking planned meals - I now have my lunch setup for this week! Pretty happy about that!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
So great news ! I have a buyer for my Honda fit! She is coming today from summit county (about 1hr away from where I live in Denver) to come buy it !

Bad news ! I wake up this morning to find my car has been hit - damage is not susbstantial but it looks
it will need a rear bumper cover and lift gate plus some blending on the passenger rear quarter panel - doesn't look structural (i'm a claims adjuster so I kinda know what I'm talking about)

It just sucks ! The seller called and said she is still interested after the vehicle is repaired. I'm just hoping the repair process goes smoothly and quickly!

Ugh...Not going to let this deter me! Still on my plan to get my self financially healthy just a little bump in the road is all!

Happy Friday all!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
instead of making a new thread I will just post it in here...

I have 10,800 on a personal loan left at 10 % apr

I have roughtly 12k in cc debt with apr ranging from 6% to 12 %

I have saved up about 7k so far since I have decided to be a badass at the money mustache !

What I'm wondering is - should I just keep saving (probably have enough to kill my personal loan in another 2 months!) and then pay off my personal loan which will me net me an extra $330 month that is no longer going towards this pita personal loan or do I pay off most of my credit card debt now?

What makes the most sense financially?

Also it is super super hard not to buy another motorcycle right now with it being riding season here in Colorado and all my buddies having moto's!

Maybe one day I will get another moto...maybe

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
instead of making a new thread I will just post it in here...

I have 10,800 on a personal loan left at 10 % apr

I have roughtly 12k in cc debt with apr ranging from 6% to 12 %

I have saved up about 7k so far since I have decided to be a badass at the money mustache !

What I'm wondering is - should I just keep saving (probably have enough to kill my personal loan in another 2 months!) and then pay off my personal loan which will me net me an extra $330 month that is no longer going towards this pita personal loan or do I pay off most of my credit card debt now?

What makes the most sense financially?

Also it is super super hard not to buy another motorcycle right now with it being riding season here in Colorado and all my buddies having moto's!

Maybe one day I will get another moto...maybe
If I were in your shoes, I would tackle the debt by interest rate and avoid buying a motorcycle ;)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
so I looked again- i'm retarded...

my personal loan is 14.25 apr and I owe 10,803

my highest cc's are at 14.99 (owe 2600 on) and 10.99 (owe 4200 on)

Another thing I was thinking about is pay off my cc debt first. Get all of it taken care off. Then wait until my credit score has bumped up enough to refinance the personal loan and my car loan (currently at 8 % apr - or sell my car outright).

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:24:44 PM by Kevin S. »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

Another thing I was thinking about is pay off my cc debt first. Get all of it taken care off. Then wait until my credit score has bumped up enough to refinance the personal loan and my car loan (currently at 8 % apr - or sell my car outright).
I would focus on paying down your highest credit card debt ($2600), then hit your personal loan ($10k). 

If you're able to refinance your personal loan to 8%, you could always wrap your credit card debt into it.  I would still focus on paying off the highest interest debt first.  As a secondary, work on refinancing to lower rates as you can.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache

CC's and Personal loans are all about equally important to pay off.  The way I look at it - right now you have 3 monthly payments, for each of those loans.  If you pay $7k toward your personal loan, you still have 3 monthly payments, which IMO sucks.  If it were me, I'd pay off the 2 CC's now and get rid of those payments completely, then re-focus on the personal loan.  The nice thing is that you'd now be down to only a single payment per month, which should feel very, very good.

Cycling Stache

• Bristles

Definitely knock off the 14.99 credit card immediately.   That gives you a card where you can make (limited, necessary) purchases interest-free for 4-6 weeks until the due date, which you then pay in full.  Otherwise, you pay interest from the day you make each purchase.

I probably would knock off the second credit card as well just to have it done and increase focus, although the interest rate on the personal loan is significantly higher.  Is there really no way to get a better rate on the personal loan?  The good news is that rates like that give you all the incentive you could possibly need to knock them off.  You won't get a better guaranteed rate of return on your money than by paying those off ASAP.

Good luck!

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
You're doing awesome, Kevin! 

If I were in your shoes, I would save 1-2 months worth of emergency funds and then I would throw all the rest of the savings at your debt.  I'd prioritize the 14.99% first, and then the personal loan.  For now I'd pay the minimum due on the 10.99 until the 14.25% is paid off.

How is everything else going- girlfriend, cooking, life in general?

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Welp there is no going back now !

Paid off my cc with the highest interest rate and paid half of the other cc with the 2nd highest interest.

Feels good man!

"MissStache" thanks for the kind words! It sure hasn't been easy the last coupe months adjusting to everything. I really do miss my motorcycle lol - so it was kinda funny and frustrating all at the same time. I sold my moto, the day after a friend calls me up "wanna go for a ride - just bought blah blah blah moto and it's a gorgeous day! " ugh....really man? WTF!!! Then last weekend another friend bought his moto lol. Oh well

The good news though...

I told the girl everything that is going on with me financially and not only was she supportive we have started helping each other! We broke down all of her expenses and have been able to (just in the last 2 weeks mind you) pay off her unpaid tax debt (5k) pay off one of her cc's (8k) and get her a personal loan at 8 % to pay off the rest of her cc debt which I believe was right around 25k! She is absolutely amazing - and keeps me sane most days lol

Her car was totaled. Sad day...However we turned those lemons into freaking gold! Instead of taking the insurance check and buying a new car she bought a super nice older Toyota corolla wagon all trac with less than 130k on the odo ! She Needed a little tlc - which yours truly completed in a weekend. New timing belt, plugs, wires and all fluids changed and a new starter - thing runs like a champ and will probably run for a very long time! 

The food thing...ugh this is where me and her seem to butt heads. I'm trying to change my eating habits and eat not only healthier but cheapier. However since I don't live there I feel it's not my place to say to her "hey instead of us ordering this overpriced pizza lets go to the grocery store"

I have been making my own lunches and inviting her over to my place more often for dinner.

Lets see other than that. Life is good! Job is doing well, feels nice to get that debt paid off finally and start really seeking out what I want to do in my life.

After I get my debt taken care of I plan on either doing a side business in pdr (paintless dent repair) or some of my custom paint/airbrushing/graphics work - or maybe both.

Also I'm still debating if I want to sell my car or not. She is a super sweet little Honda fit and I love her however I know it's not really needed. I could totally buy a cheap pickup truck for 2-3k and call it good. This will probably be my next step.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
So another question for you financial Stud muffins and Babe Cakes (google it - it's a thing!)

My car is super nice and reliable, relatively cheap but I need to make it cheaper!

I need to sell my 15 Honda fit. However I need to get the rear liftgate fixed after someone backed into me outside of my house. I can probably get the part cheap enough and do most of the work save for the paint. Not a big deal. However I know when I sell it I'm gonna probably lose about a grand!

I also have insurance due next month and registration! Registration was 500 and insurance premium is $ 750 for 6 months!!!
I'm 33 and have 2 tickets in the last six years! Colorado is just super high for car insurance! My 1700cc super fast muscle cruiser was $ 300 for the year fyi.

My question is should I just sell the car as is? Take a bigger loss and not have to worry about plates/registration and insurance.

Get it fixed and sell it for a lesser loss but still probably lose a grand on it!

My car payment is only $ 270 a month but I don't need it and I feel at this point in my life that being super frugal is kinda "my thing" right now until I get a nice big fat chunk of savings !

Sorry if I'm rambling. lol

Thanks all!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Sounds like you are ready to sell and what a nice dent that will make, almost good-bye to that personal loan - going - going - gone:)
 As long as you have some form of transportation it is all good.
What a turn around in such a short time - you are amazing!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Thanks Rosy! I do have another question to ask

What do you guys/gals do when family/friends ask for money?

Backstory - Last night I meet up with my buddies (all on the motorcycles except for me since I recently sold mine) - one of my buddies asked if I could loan him $ 200 bucks. I didn't wanna be "that guy" and tell him no. He has always paid me back in the past and it's only $ 200 bucks. However I also wanted to say " dude wtf is wrong you, you have a bike, a nice truck and a big house and you are asking me for money?" Bleh...lame situation for sure.

My mom - ugh this is a super long story but she is super retarded with money.  She currently lives on social security and disability. She and my dad did not plan well (read at all lol) for retirement. Now guess who has to take on the burden - my fancy mustachian self. FML!!!!

So I'm on my way back from Utah earlier in the week  with my lady. Visiting her mom and sister. Drove out because it was cheaper! Stayed at her sisters place. Had a great (and cheap overall) time!

At any rate my mom calls me balling her eyes out, saying she can't sleep and her feet are swollen. Basically it was all a ploy to get me to buy her a bed and possibly a new pair of shoes. I'm supposed to pick her up tomorrow morning and get her a mattress. I am really really torn on this one! It's my mom and I feel good (kinda) helping her out. However I feel that I should be able to just say no to buying her crap like this.

Oh well...Happy Friday all!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache

Backstory - Last night I meet up with my buddies (all on the motorcycles except for me since I recently sold mine) - one of my buddies asked if I could loan him $ 200 bucks. I didn't wanna be "that guy" and tell him no. He has always paid me back in the past and it's only $ 200 bucks. However I also wanted to say " dude wtf is wrong you, you have a bike, a nice truck and a big house and you are asking me for money?" Bleh...lame situation for sure.

My mom - ugh this is a super long story but she is super retarded with money.  She currently lives on social security and disability. She and my dad did not plan well (read at all lol) for retirement. Now guess who has to take on the burden - my fancy mustachian self. FML!!!!

So I'm on my way back from Utah earlier in the week  with my lady. Visiting her mom and sister. Drove out because it was cheaper! Stayed at her sisters place. Had a great (and cheap overall) time!

At any rate my mom calls me balling her eyes out, saying she can't sleep and her feet are swollen. Basically it was all a ploy to get me to buy her a bed and possibly a new pair of shoes. I'm supposed to pick her up tomorrow morning and get her a mattress. I am really really torn on this one! It's my mom and I feel good (kinda) helping her out. However I feel that I should be able to just say no to buying her crap like this.

Can't help with the situation with your mother, that sounds like it's going to take quite a bit to sort out. But, throwing money at problems might not necessarily help. Others might have suggestions to help with that - it really depends on whether you want to invest (energy) in that relationship or not.

For friends (and really, for family, too) the simple answer is that you don't actually have any money to give them. You are in debt, you not only don't have money, you have negative amounts of money. Don't get confused  between having access to money and having money, they're two completely different things.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache

OK, so I should caveat this by saying I've never had anyone ask me for money, but I have thought about this situation before because I have a feeling it may be coming up soon with some friends/family. 

For the friend: I'd commiserate and deflect.  "Oh man, I wish I could, but I'm so strapped for cash.  I have this loan/CC/Bill that I'm trying to pay off that it is really tough- in fact I've been cooking at home all month because I can't afford to go out to eat, even!"  You can be as specific or vague about the loan as you need to be.

With parent:  I'd make suggestions, but ABSOLUTELY not offer/agree to anything. 
Mom:  "My feet/back hurt"
Me:  "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."
Mom: "I think a new mattress will help."
Me:  "That may be a good thing to look into"  HARD STOP.  No elaboration.
Mom:  "but I can't afford one."
Me:  "yeah, mattresses are so expensive.  I had to save up for like 5 months to buy mine!"

If she outright asks you to buy it, give the same story as with your friend.  "I wish I could, but I'm don't have anything extra as I'm trying to pay off these debts."

And then that is IT.  You don't have to argue with her or make excuses.  Saying yes once makes it so hard to say no in the future.  It's a hard cycle from which to remove yourself.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
In response to: "What do you guys/gals do when family/friends ask for money?"

It depends.

Twice, I have helped family who fell on genuinely hard times. When my dad (Detroit auto worker) was unemployed for two full years, and unemployment ran out, I asked if I could pay his health care premium and utility bills. It was a bit more than $200 month but I knew it was temporary. I wanted to repay him for all the awful, factory overtime he put in to keep my brother and I out of Detroit public schools and in our Catholic one, and all that. I also figured, somewhat selfishly, that it was better to help him at the time than have him use savings that he needs for retirement, which I'd probably have to make up for down the road.

My brother was unemployed for a while at the same time, and I let him live for the price of utilities in a condo I owned in another state (with better job prospects) that wasn't rented, and was up for sale.

On the other hand, a very close friend of mine was recently unemployed. He was hinting around at needing money to see him through until his first pay day at a new job. His pay day was in a week, and he "only had $500" to last him a week until pay day.

He's single, has no children, and has two pets. He is also someone who, while unemployed, bought himself a brand new iPhone (mine is from 2009) and was worried about not being able to send the dog to day care (while he's unemployed and home all day!). In a laughing way, I said "We spend a lot less than $500/week between the two of us! What's the deal -- you got some debts or something you need to pay on?" (Hey, I've been there.)

"Oh no..." And he trailed off. And that time, I just couldn't bring myself to give him anything. I was kind about it, and we're still very close friends, but I said "Man, if you can't make it on $500/week, my giving you more money won't solve that problem." He said, "Yeah, I know, I know, but I'm not like you, I'm just not willing to do some of the things you do..." At least he owned it.

He and I are close, so I had some leeway to say certain, more forward things in a certain way than I might with other people, but I also felt like it was "a teachable moment."

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Thanks for all the advice and shared experience ! You guys/gals are awesome!

Quick update.
Helped my mom out and bought here a nice supportive mattress (got it on sale of course for $ 800 bucks down from $1500) she has a lot of back issues. It's a sealy posturpedic and she refused to let me buy her shoes ! lol

My mom called me the next day to tell me she had one of the best nights sleep in a long time! That was pretty great to here!

It felt good to help her out but on the other hand I hope this doesn't become a common occurrence !

I gave my buddy the $ 200 bucks which he was grateful for and apparently will be paying me back this Friday (not holding my breath).

I am getting right at where I need to start saving again. With all the recent repayments made to my debt my little stache is starting to become a wee little hitler mustache ! no fun! lol

Time to stop giving handouts and get serious about everything again!

Also I cancelled out Comcast completely ! (not sure if I had mentioned that in a previous post) GOing to look at century link possibly. I have a modem which should work. My plan is to be debt free (completely! 100 % free of all this bs!) in about a years time. That has me pretty stoked! Just have to stick to my guns!

I'm pretty proud of myself though, yesterday I went and looked at my buddies motorcycle he is selling and instead of making an impulsive purchase like the old me would have I walked away and told him I would help him post it on craigs.

I need to get some extra income coming in the door asap! I think the hardest thing for me is the time - the time involved to save and save and save some more is what sucks! lol - sorry i'm just whining now. Till next time mustachianinininininiens!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:19:07 PM by Kevin S. »

Josiecat

• Bristles
What happened with the lady who wanted to buy your car after it was repaired?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
Thanks for all the advice and shared experience ! You guys/gals are awesome!

Quick update.
Helped my mom out and bought here a nice supportive mattress (got it on sale of course for $ 800 bucks down from $1500) she has a lot of back issues. It's a sealy posturpedic and she refused to let me buy her shoes ! lol

My mom called me the next day to tell me she had one of the best nights sleep in a long time! That was pretty great to here!

It felt good to help her out but on the other hand I hope this doesn't become a common occurrence !

I gave my buddy the $ 200 bucks which he was grateful for and apparently will be paying me back this Friday (not holding my breath).

I am getting right at where I need to start saving again. With all the recent repayments made to my debt my little stache is starting to become a wee little hitler mustache ! no fun! lol

Time to stop giving handouts and get serious about everything again!

Also I cancelled out Comcast completely ! (not sure if I had mentioned that in a previous post) GOing to look at century link possibly. I have a modem which should work. My plan is to be debt free (completely! 100 % free of all this bs!) in about a years time. That has me pretty stoked! Just have to stick to my guns!

I'm pretty proud of myself though, yesterday I went and looked at my buddies motorcycle he is selling and instead of making an impulsive purchase like the old me would have I walked away and told him I would help him post it on craigs.

I need to get some extra income coming in the door asap! I think the hardest thing for me is the time - the time involved to save and save and save some more is what sucks! lol - sorry i'm just whining now. Till next time mustachianinininininiens!

centurylink customer service is garbage..... carry on

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Wow, good stuff, what a great effort. Keep going!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Wow, good stuff, what a great effort. Keep going!

Thank you very much ! It hasn't been easy and I have fallen of the wagon once or twice (I bought a 92 Miata project car) ugh... It's a daily struggle lol

I have just recently re listed my Honda Fit after getting it fixed and have a coupe people coming to look at it this weekend. Hope it sells quick ! Wish me luck please!

So how about an update here. I have been offered a position as a catastrophe adjuster with a 25k bump in pay annually ! Pretty excited! I start on October 6th. The only thing that worries me is I will be 20 days away from home but my girlfriend is completely understanding (hopefully in a good way and not in "good I can have some alone time" way)

My financial situation. Well it's pretty awesome as opposed to where it was just a couple months ago!!!! I know have only 2 credit cards that have a balance and they are getting smaller by the day! Once the Honda is sold I will hit the personal loan hard and hope to have that paid off by this time next year! I finally have some savings!

I'm really excited for the future and I can not thank you guys/gals on here and mmm himself!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
What happened with the lady who wanted to buy your car after it was repaired?

She bought another car. Oh well...

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance

Get rid of my cell phone plan and get Republic wireless, I have heard nothing but good here

Rather than Republic Wireless, read IP Daily's superguide and choose a phone service that doesn't make you buy a phone from them first. I have used PTel and have had great success there at ~the cost of Republic, less if you consider cost of the phone.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache

My Comcast, ugh...I can't find anything else better for internet. If I cancel my tv it will go down from 80 to 40 a month for the first 12 months then climb back up to $ 50-60 a month after the 1 yr agreement. I'm honestly just thinking f it all and cancel it outright! I don't absolutely need internet at my house - I can go to the rec center, library, coffee shops or the million other spots for wifi when I need it! Still this sucks.

What a lot of us do is call the thieves cable companies back after the one year contract and ask for the new subscriber rate or threaten to switch. This hour of work once a year will save heaps of $$$. We do it every single year, when our internet rate goes back up. I keep any propaganda that comes in the mail from competitors to use as ammunition.

Yeah, I have been doing this for like 10 years.

1) Call up Comcast. Politely tell the rep your bill is too high and ask for the current promotional/introductory rate. "Hey, I just can't afford my cable anymore. I saw online that you're offering 20Mbit for $30/month for a year. Could I please get that rate?"  Whatever the answer, thank them and hang up.

2) If they don't give it to you, call again to get a different rep. This happens to me like once every 3 years, I have Time Warner.

3) After a year, go to Step 1.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
I can ride my motorcycle every day all the way until the late fall here if I so desire. Not sure I want to risk that though - possible motorcycle mechanical failures, possible super cold weather here in Colorado - especially on my way to work, possible rider error failures = expensive hospital bills, and missing work!

If I do this I can save up a good chunk of change and pay off my debts way earlier than expected and then buy a cheap 3-5k auto come this fall.

Well, either your motorcycle is useful and safe - so, you should be using it as your primary vehicle since it has lower operating cost than the car.

OR... it's not. So you should sell it.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
I can ride my motorcycle every day all the way until the late fall here if I so desire. Not sure I want to risk that though - possible motorcycle mechanical failures, possible super cold weather here in Colorado - especially on my way to work, possible rider error failures = expensive hospital bills, and missing work!

If I do this I can save up a good chunk of change and pay off my debts way earlier than expected and then buy a cheap 3-5k auto come this fall.

Well, either your motorcycle is useful and safe - so, you should be using it as your primary vehicle since it has lower operating cost than the car.

OR... it's not. So you should sell it.

Thanks for the info but I sold the moto scooter a couple months ago. Also cancelled Comcast and have century link for 40 bucks a month.

Honda Fit sold today! Have get all the paperwork down sometime this week with his loan and the payoff details. One less thing to worry about!

Start the new job on October 6th, pending the background check but everything should be good to go! Pretty excited! Not exactly my dream job but hopefully not as soul crushing as my current daily grind.

I feel like the end of this year and going into 2016 is going to be my first year of some serious savings/finally being healthy financially

redmarc32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just read through your entire thread, you have done a phenomenal job.  Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself, and way to pay it forward by helping your girlfriend out too.  Job well done.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
I just read through your entire thread, you have done a phenomenal job.  Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself, and way to pay it forward by helping your girlfriend out too.  Job well done.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate the kind words! How did I help my girlfriend again?

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
Have you started the new job yet?  I think you are doing really well and it's great that you have a clear goal to be debt-free and start  building your savings.  Did your friend repay the $200 loan?  Are you and your girlfriend making progress on the food front?

Kevin S.

• Stubble
No I start November 10th. I have a couple questions regarding luggage.

This job will be mostly travel with me basically being at home 8 days out of the month (ugh - but its a great job that hopefully within a couple years and I can turn into something even greater that requires less travel ((hopefully)) )

My girlfriend wants me purchase a briggs & riley roller bag for something crazy (to me at least) like $ 500-600 bucks !!! It does come with a lifetime warranty but i'm not sure I wanna do that. What are some good makes of luggage that will last me a while? My dad recommended Samsonite lol but they have a lot of negative reviews on the interwebs...

Meh...

I will be traveling for 10 days away at a time so I don't think my simple $ 50 dollar backpack will cut it anymore lol

Thanks for the input "Stashing Swiss-style"

I'm well on my way to being debt free. I have what I believe to be a solid obtainable goal to be debt free by the end of the year.

My friend did not repay me yet...Pretty lame as he just bought a new tv (i'm guessing on credit) Oh well next time I wont be so nice !!!!

Me and the girlfriend are doing great with regards to food. We are eating cheaply and much more healthy. I have cut out soda and have gone down 25 pounds and lost 1 waist size already!!! pretty dang happy about that!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
I don't have time to search now but I know the topic of luggage (and specifically frequent use business traveller luggage) has been touched on here before. Maybe in the overheard at work thread? At any rate, worth a search. For very frequent travel spending a bit more to get good quality could be worth it.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
My girlfriend wants me purchase a briggs & riley roller bag for something crazy (to me at least) like $ 500-600 bucks !!! It does come with a lifetime warranty but i'm not sure I wanna do that. What are some good makes of luggage that will last me a while? My dad recommended Samsonite lol but they have a lot of negative reviews on the interwebs...

I wanted to get a Briggs & Riley for my husband, but it was too expensive!  And I kept looking out for sales...  I love my Samsonite rolling carry-on and have had it for over ten years, but I think they don't make them like they used to (and I could have said that even when I bought mine!).  I probably wouldn't get a Samsonite now, unless it was a great deal.

In the end, I scored a Victorinox luggage on Amazon for half the normal price, just happened to come across it when it was cheap.  It seems really well made and rolls really well, though it's on the smaller side.  This open-box one looks similar.  The red is the cheapest, though the grey ones are only a bit more!

Edit: If you're travelling for 10 days at a time, maybe you should get something bigger.  But Victorinox and Amazon Warehouse Deals are a good place to look  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:37:16 PM by Marmalade & Meowmalade »

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
Hi Kevin, I loved your success story. It must feel great to go from 42k salary to 75k in less than a year! You probably know this very well, but it's super important as you make more money to avoid lifestyle inflation. The extra bucks you're making now will retire your debt in no time, and you just keep living like you did on 42k.

Regarding luggage, check out the pawn shops, army/navy and salvation army stores. Rich people love to get rid of their great luggage. I was a travelling consultant (out on Monday, home on Thursday) for years and had used luggage for most of that time. Plus, the airline staff are going to beat the crap out of your stuff, so no sense in buying something new. Victorinox and Umi (for laptops) are my favorites, but anything decent will do.

Is the travel via air, or are you driving places now? If you get a per diem, that's yours to keep tax free, so buy groceries in your travel city and you can make a lot off saving the per diems. If you get actuals reimbursed, the IRS has, and by extension most companies have, a policy that they will reimburse meals up to 24.99 without a receipt - use that knowledge for good or evil, your call! If you aren't reimbursed for meals, you can deduct it. Are you reimbursed for mileage? Your '92 project car will earn you .595 cents per mile that you drive! If you're not reimbursed, you can deduct your mileage on your taxes at that rate, under non-reimbursed business expenses.

Regarding getting friends to repay loans. I like to do this in person. If he can't repay, ask if he can give you $50 a week until it's repaid. If he can't, ask for $10 or $5. Find some way to get regular repayment started. Most people will find a way to get the loan repaid and get you off their back. It's a crappy conversation to have but it has to be done, or you'll never see it again.

I added my "friends and family loan policy" to my written investment policy statement. It's something that I struggle with all the time, and writing down my policy helped me keep the promise to myself once the specifics of an emergency presented themselves. My family (and Mrs Axe's) have these emergencies about 5x a year :)  I like the philosophy, "never work harder to help someone than they're willing to help themselves" which I got from another Mustachian here.

Awesome job, keep up the good work.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache

I wanted to get a Briggs & Riley for my husband, but it was too expensive!  And I kept looking out for sales...  I love my Samsonite rolling carry-on and have had it for over ten years, but I think they don't make them like they used to (and I could have said that even when I bought mine!).  I probably wouldn't get a Samsonite now, unless it was a great deal.

In the end, I scored a Victorinox luggage on Amazon for half the normal price, just happened to come across it when it was cheap.  It seems really well made and rolls really well, though it's on the smaller side.  This open-box one looks similar.  The red is the cheapest, though the grey ones are only a bit more!

Edit: If you're travelling for 10 days at a time, maybe you should get something bigger.  But Victorinox and Amazon Warehouse Deals are a good place to look  :)
I have a Victorinox carry-on too.  It's been through a lot with me.  I would recommend getting comfortable traveling with only a carry-on.  It makes business trips a lot less stressful (and you spend less time at the airport).  My carry-on has a small hanging bag inside it, so I can hang up my suits too. 

snuggler

• Stubble
Goodwill often has excellent luggage as well. I see great brands (including Samsonite) at my local store all the time.

If you can't find anything there or at other secondhand/pawn shops, try Craigslist.

I also bought a really nice set one year on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I believe I bought it online at Amazon, but I think it's a common post-Thanksgiving sale item at many online and brick-and-mortar stores.

If you're only going to be doing car travel, I might think about just purchasing packing cubes instead, so that you could pack a full day's worth of clothes in one and then switch them out each day. Then, you could just take in a cube and your backpack into the hotel every night.

Have you thought about food savings with your work travel? I've seen traveling workers do some amazing things with Instapots and Crock Pots. For example, check out Plant-Fueled Trucker's blog or Facebook page.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Hi all my fellow mustachinininininiaaansssszzz ! Merry xmas / happy holidays !

So a little update.

Unfortuantely my dad passed away on november 9th - the day before i was to start my new job. Fortunately my new job is very understanding. I just started here on the 14th. I'm currently typing this from hotel in dallas. I'm on my first 10 day stint of training. I'm on for 10 days and off for 4 days. It's going to be a big adjustment for sure!

The salary is 61k yr not 75k yr like i originally thought. There is some bonus pay though for overtime. From what I have heard you will basically make an addtl 25k a yr unless something crazy happens. So i might be making 86k per year!!!!! Plus i get per diem!!! I get 41 bucks a day per diem. Need to figure out some good ways to cook in my hotel with only a fridge lol

I also need to stay on the healthy track! So far I have slacked off big time while i have been stationed here. I can already feeling the hamburgers and fried food goodness attacking my heart lol

On the luggage front. I was able to find a decent enough no name roller bag at arc thrift store for 12 bucks! I hope it lasts me a while! I also received a nice fancy laptop bag from my work that holds all my electronic stuff that has been given to me by this wonderful new company of mine.

Welp....that is all i have to add. Oh i'm still saving pretty well.

My mom though...i have had to do quite a bit for her financially since my dad and my mom did not plan at all for the eventual early retirement my father was forced into because of declining health.

I really hate to share this but I don't know who else to talk to about it....

So far i have paid in the last month for my dads cremation, almost all of my moms bills (rent, electric, food). She is getting on state food assistance program thankfully. I just don't know what to do with my mom...

I'm at a great point in my life financially but I have to take care of my mom now. I cant let here just suffer and get kicked out of her place. She has some major mental issues that will not allow her to work at this point. Her anxiety and sever depression really hinder any chance she has of getting a job. She recieves social security disability right now but that is her only income....

Ugh....the whole thing is just beyond depressing, just talking about it here stresses me out.

My girlfriend is absolutely wonderful and so understanding! I need to marry her as soon as i can lol. I love this woman to no end!

Bleh...enough rambling.

If anyone wants to add anything about possible ideas to help out with my moms situation feel free but simply telling me " don't support her, she will figure it out " is not going to work. I have had a couple friends tell me that and i just can not do that.

Think about it, if your parent/ family memmber was in the same boat with a recently deceased partner would you hang them out to dry?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:48:21 PM by Kevin S. »

Alchemilla

• Stubble
Just wanted to wish you luck and say Well Done! for acting on the advice.

Do you have/does your Mum have any siblings who could share the load with you?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Cooking in hotel room: the Instant Pot pressure cooker is probably the most versatile. Electric. All you really need is a sink for water and an electrical outlet.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
I’m sorry about your dad. It sounds like you are in a tough situation with mom. I’m assuming you don’t have any adult sibs who could split the cost of your mom’s expenses with you?

If she is just on ss/disability and qualifies for food assistance, chances are she’ll qualify for other types of assistance like rent and utility subsidies. I used to work with the urban poor and it was possible to receive disability, reduced rent, reduced utilities, food stamps, and ebt (cash assistance) all at once depending on your eligibility. Rent and utilities are the big ones so go after those first. Don’t volunteer any info about how you can help with rent, this will count as additional income and you will not receive assistance. Just strictly report only her ss/disability income and that’s it. If you can get in front of a case worker or someone somehow that will help you. Sometimes accessing welfare benefits through eldercare services works better than just going to the govt assistance agencies directly, so see if there is an eldercare office or something similar in her town.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
+1. What will save you the most money and do her the most good is to become an expert on the services available to lower income people in your area. Be her advocate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk