Author Topic: New York Life offering a free Soc Security seminar - should I go?  (Read 2525 times)

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
My local New York Life office has a free "maximize your Social Security" seminar coming up.  It's nearby, easy to walk over after work.

Anyone here attended one of these?  Google search suggests it's pretty common from them (I see these all over the country).  Is this just going to be a hard sell on buying other products from them, or anything actually worthwhile on SS ?

At worst, I guess I can get up and walk out...

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
Re: New York Life offering a free Soc Security seminar - should I go?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
It's a great way for them to get you on their email list.  Use your disposable email address if you don't want to receive the spam. 

As for the content, you can bet they'll want to get you to sign up for some of their annuity products, or insurance policies.  Keep in mind that the current state of Soc Security can't stand.  Of the proposed solutions, the 'increase the retirement age' is the standard solution, but is receiving push-back from the baby boomers who are themselves retiring now.  The 'remove the SS-tax-cap' solution is starting to gain traction, but there seems to be no political will in congress to make any changes to Soc Security - the "third rail" of politics.

Couldn't hurt, I suppose.  If you have the free time, and go in with your defenses up.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
I agree with Mother ^ to use a disposable e-mail address to avoid the annoyance of junk mail from them.

How old are you?  If your 50+ or anywhere close it's good info to have.  If your in your 30s then I wouldn't bother.  Too many things can/will change before you can collect.  SS system will change is some way and your situation could also change (e.g., marriage, divorce, kids, how many years you work) 

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
The 'remove the SS-tax-cap' solution is starting to gain traction, but there seems to be no political will in congress to make any changes to Soc Security - the "third rail" of politics.

Is that as terrifying as it sounds? Because I really don't want to be tying up more money in SS. Every penny taxed is a penny not invested in a more reasonable strategy.

* Edit, nope, not as terrifying as I imagined. For some reason you said 'raise the tax cap' and I heard 'raise the tax cap and rate'. Course, if I was making 200K it would be an effective increase in my tax rate. But I do not have that particular first world problem.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:07:03 PM by Alabaster »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
Most important question: will there be food?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
im in my twenties and went to one... i recorded the talk, not sure if they want it shared but i have no issues uploading it if people want. i went for the nice food and it was still interesting to spend a hour. think of it like a free dinner and show combo

mostly things you can get online about waiting until you are 70, or things like getting spouse to get your half then freezing it until 70 to let it grow some more

they gave out their cards at end, to get people to use their services later on. charge is market value so no reason not to use them over anyone else and they were friendly enough too. not a bad move by them if people really wanted financial advisors. i dont care about it with 40+ years, they would be dead by the time i draw on it...

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:17:59 AM »
I'm early 40s. There's appetizers provided, not full dinner.

I think I'll go. It's close by to work, so why not. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!