Author Topic: New Verizon Extender Rip Off?  (Read 4228 times)

threepacballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New Verizon Extender Rip Off?
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:49:55 PM »
Just got an offer from Verizon Fios for a Wi-Fi extender. I can rent for $6 a month or buy for $99 (plus shipping and taxes). It doesn't say brand of model of any info on the equipment.

My question is my contract is up and I want to stop renting my modem and buy one. What should I buy? I plan on downgrading from 75 to 50 Mbps. Should I buy this extender also?

I am a non-techie and don't follow some of the advice here. We stream on 2 tv's and have a couple tablets (2 of us). Your advice is appreciated.

extremedefense

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New Verizon Extender Rip Off?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »
I'm a techie, and with Verizon fios (or frontier if you have them), you cannot use your own modem. You have to use theirs.

HOWEVER you should not be renting their router (the thing that makes wifi), you should use your own router.

If you have issues with signal strength, I'd get two routers and make one an access point (which means it connects to the wifi of the router that's on your modem, and broadcasts it's own wifi), and then they'd work together.

For faster speed on the second router, if it's feasible for you to run ether an ethernet cable to it, that would be your best bet.

threepacballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
I said modem when I think I meant router. Any suggestions on what to buy? BTW even on the internet no details on the extender verizon.com/wifiextender. Sounds like better off to buy 2 routers.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
Do you have an issue with range?  Are there spots in the house that don't get a good signal?  That would be the only reason you'd need a range extender or a two router configuration. 

We have a 2k sq ft, 2 story house, and one inexpensive router does fine.

threepacballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »
No issue with range with the 75. Worried i might when I downgrade. I also have fios tv and read that may be an issue on what router to buy???? Sounds like i should just buy one router for now and try that but confused on what is compatible with fios internet and tv.

extremedefense

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »
Buy any router, you'll plug the ethernet cable from the modem to your router. Go on Amazon and get a highly rated one in your price range, don't spend more than $150 though.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »
No issue with range with the 75. Worried i might when I downgrade. I also have fios tv and read that may be an issue on what router to buy???? Sounds like i should just buy one router for now and try that but confused on what is compatible with fios internet and tv.
The wifi signal will still be the same frequency, since you haven't had problems with range, it will be fine when you have a slower speed.

I bought a cheap extender that just plugs into a wall outlet when I had a phone with a very weak wifi antenna.  I since have a new phone and haven't used if for a while.

threepacballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 11:19:47 AM »
Thank you for your responses! I purchased a new router. I bought the exact same one I am renting now from Amazon for $50 less than what Verizon is selling it for.

My question is can I plug it in just like it is now and it will work or do I have to get Verizon involved?

Thanks again

extremedefense

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
You just need to call Verizon and tell them you no longer want to rent their router because you got your own.

Follow the instructions to setup the one you bought, plug the ethernet cable into the Verizon modem.