Author Topic: New to supervising and managing people  (Read 1895 times)

Guizmo

• Bristles
New to supervising and managing people
« on: July 29, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »
I just got promoted (Yay! I'll be able to save around $15k/per year more!) and I am wondering if y'all have recommendations for a new manager. I am managing a project and a team of around a dozen people. There are different personalities and working styles and I want to make sure that I do a good job. Are there any books that are helpful? I hope to make this a painless transition but I am excited for this new challenge.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
Re: New to supervising and managing people
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
The #1 thing I see new managers miss on is delegation.  It is not your job to do it all, it is your job to make sure it all gets done.  Your team's job is to get [whatever it is you do] done, your job is to make sure they have to tools/resources to do [whatever it is you do].  You now have a dozen smiling faces looking at you, with a dozen different motivations.  Don't assume everyone has the same motivation as you, you're going to have to figure theirs out. 

Your position has changed, expect your relationship with former co-workers to change.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but it has changed. 

If you see your team as your minions, they will hold you back.  If you see yourself as their support/mentor/advocate and make sure they have the resources, proper motivation, and achievable goals, they will carry you up. 

Scarletdragon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »
Whenever problems crop up, and they will, get both sides of the story before coming to any conclusions. I learned this lesson the hard way. Best wishes on your new job.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
I strongly recommend you start following the Ask A Manager blog by Alison Green.  She is superb at giving workplace advice, particularly on management issues.  www.askamanager.org

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!