Author Topic: New to biking, want recommendation  (Read 3484 times)

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New to biking, want recommendation
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to biking and wondering where to start. I want a basic bike to take me around the city, short distances probably about 5-10k max, but mostly shorter. Want a bike for the convenience of getting around and also it's healthy and cheap. I don't have a car nor do I need one.

Is my best bet to just go to a second hand bike shop and pick up something cheapass? Or is it worth getting a new bike? Any good online resources about this?

Im in melbourne if that helps

EDIT: forgot to add, the guy in the new bike shop recommended a $AU699 sirrus with flat handlebars

I don't care about speed
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:58:34 PM by settlement »

Emg03063

• Bristles
Re: New to biking, want recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »
I'd check out the under $200 bikes here and see if there's anything that suits you:

http://melbourne.craigslist.com.au/search/bia

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 01:19:33 AM »
So many cheap bikes on gumtree in Melbourne! Another option if you want something new is Reid Cycles. Both myself and friends have had good experiences with their bikes and they are a *cheap* way to try it out without committing $700. Which is 3.5x the amount I spent on a Reid bike that was my main commuter bike in Sydney for 2 years and then handed down to a friend

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:25:54 AM »
Thanks for suggestion.

Just went to Reid cycles website. New bikes there are sooo cheap. What's the catch?

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »
The Sirrus would be a pretty good choice; used will obviously save you money.  It put you fairly upright, so it is comfortable, but not bolt-upright like some which would give you really high wind resistance. It has mounting points for fenders and racks, so it can be used as a utility bike. If you like that one, similar ones from other brands are Trek's FX 7.x series, and Giant Escape.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:13:40 AM by vhalros »

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Sirrus.  I own a 2004. 

Whatever you buy, make sure you test ride it first. 

Also, make sure you've got the correct frame size (especially for used bikes).

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
Thanks for suggestion.

Just went to Reid cycles website. New bikes there are sooo cheap. What's the catch?

They are made in Taiwan I think by one of the larger bike factories for the area. Be aware you are getting a pretty decent bike for the price (and I had a lot of fun getting back in the saddle after 10 yrs of not riding) BUT it is lower end of the acceptable quality spectrum. I ended up giving mine away after a few years because I started longer hillier rides and by that point I knew I wasn't going to stop riding so investing a little more made sense. But I probably wouldn't have got to that point without a ouple of years of having fun blatting around town on my cheap fun beater bike.

Good starter bike, the stepthrough has a really comfortable riding position, and you can have NO concerns about leaving it locked up outside because no one is going to steal it.

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
I would say a basic steel or aluminum frame road bike is a great place to start.  I really like the entry level ones as I think they balance cost with pleasure in riding them.  In the states, they run for between $500 to $700 new usually.  I've been riding the same steel frame Jamis since 2007 and I still love riding it just as much as when I got it.  Often you can get one that allows you to install paniers in case you want to go shopping or something. 

I think it comes down to getting something you will actually want to ride.  If you get something clunky and heavy, it will feel more like a chore and you will be less likely to ride it.  If you get something a bit more sleek, it will feel like a treat to ride it. 

BCBiker

• Stubble
    • Business Casual Biker - Health, Wealth, and Mental Stealth BTYB Bicycle Commuting
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 02:58:26 PM »
My Sirrus (aluminum frame) busted the down tube (diagonal part of frame) after about 10k miles and the carbon fiber fork in less that 1000 miles. I am not a fan of aluminum or carbon fiber as a result. Get a nice used steel frame touring bike at a second hand store or garage sale and you will have better quality for less cost and hassle.  The Sirrus was maybe faster but who cares if you are commuting or using for errands.