Author Topic: New to bicycling - question...  (Read 5274 times)

sarahsmc22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New to bicycling - question...
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
So I bought a bike very cheaply at Walmart (the evil place). I haven't been on a bicycle in about 20 years and I'm pretty out of shape. Purchased so that I can ride with my 5 year old (as she received her training wheeled bike for xmas) and to supplement my running regime. Once I finally realized that balancing as a 9 year old is much different than balancing as an overweight 29 year old, I took it for a lap at the cemetery near my house.

My question is: Is your tush supposed to hurt that bad? My goodness, after about 5-10 minutes of riding, my butt hurt for like 3 days. I had even had the foresight to buy a gel cushion cover to go over the saddle. Is this something that I'll get used to, or should I consider finding a more comfortable saddle?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: New to bicycling - question...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »
Some say those wide, padded saddles do more harm than good because your weight isn't distributed on your sit bones correctly. However, padded bike shorts are good (I'm not sure why it's important that the padding be attached to you instead of the bike, but apparently it is). Your butt should get used to it eventually.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
It will hurt a bit until you get used to it. Also it's good to vary your butt-pressure by standing on the pedals once in a while.

And good job getting back on 2 wheels!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
I've also found that it hurts more if the bike doesn't fit properly and isn't set up right. My first bike was way too small and it was always uncomfortable. So make sure your bike fits. :)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
I have to say as a very seasoned cyclist, that I have really enjoyed my investment in a Selle Anotomica seat (I got the $99.99 version)  It has absolutely extended my biking career.  I often find that because of the way the leather creates a "Hammock" for my "personal bits" there are no more pressure points...even after a long hiatus from biking.  I often don't even need to wear the padded shorts, my ride is just that comfy.

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
Some soreness is normal. Over the course of 2-3 weeks, the nerve endings in your behind seem to die off and you won't be so uncomfortable.

However, if the bike doesn't fit properly, or the seat isn't a good "match" for you, it will always be uncomfortable. I swear by women's saddles that have a cutout in the front so I'm not putting any weight on my soft tissue. Saddles designed for men seem to have a bump here to support boy parts and it does not work for women at all.

You should also check that your seat isn't too high. If it's too high, you'll rock from side to side as you pedal and make yourself sore.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
Do you have the seat height adjusted correctly? The proper seat height will have your leg nearly straight with the pedal at the bottom of the crank. You shouldn't be "sitting" on the seat quite as much as straddling it while pedalling.

If your legs are bent at a severe angle while your ride, and all of your weight is on your butt instead of partially on your legs as you pedal, the seat is too low. (And your thigh muscles are going to hurt something fierce tomorrow.)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:38:48 PM »
Some of it is time. 5-10 minutes, though, suggests to me that it is a fit issue. Seat height, seat shape/width, saddle too far forward/back. You want the seat to be just wider than the width of your "sit bones".

Are you feeling like you're falling off the seat? (Too far forward)

How straight is your leg when the crank is down?

Generally gel cushions make things worse. You want the pressure on your bones, not on soft tissue.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
So I bought a bike very cheaply at Walmart ...

That could be your problem right there.  I ride 3 adult bikes; all were bought used, cheap.  Two are decent, one is ancient.  The one that is neither decent nor ancient is from Walmart.  Its seat is the single most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on in my entire life (my DH says the same thing about it).  I forget the brand name, but there seems to be a particular brand of bike sold through Walmart that has horrifically uncomfortable seats.

I'd probably recommend going to a decent bike shop, explaining your problem, and asking them if they have a bike seat you could buy cheap from a "for parts" bike -- they must have them (no?). 

I keep my dreadful-seat bike at my office and use it for short rides around when I need to go from my workplace somewhere -- I don't ride it often, or far.  So I haven't done anything about it.

sarahsmc22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »
So I bought a bike very cheaply at Walmart ...

That could be your problem right there.  I ride 3 adult bikes; all were bought used, cheap.  Two are decent, one is ancient.  The one that is neither decent nor ancient is from Walmart.  Its seat is the single most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on in my entire life (my DH says the same thing about it).  I forget the brand name, but there seems to be a particular brand of bike sold through Walmart that has horrifically uncomfortable seats.

I'd probably recommend going to a decent bike shop, explaining your problem, and asking them if they have a bike seat you could buy cheap from a "for parts" bike -- they must have them (no?). 

I keep my dreadful-seat bike at my office and use it for short rides around when I need to go from my workplace somewhere -- I don't ride it often, or far.  So I haven't done anything about it.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll try this.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
I used to have a very cushy seat. Now I have a lady specific seat. I felt like the cushy seat made it harder to get power.

You get used to the butt soreness thing. If I've ridden longer than usual my rear will be sore for a little while.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »
I think there's different kid of sore bums.
Muscle soreness goes away as your body adjusts.
Flesh soreness or genital soreness doesn't go away, because you're either sitting on it weird or your either your vag (or, whatever, as a guy) is getting squashed. That has to be changed with a different geometry to suit your body.