Author Topic: new roof  (Read 3469 times)

TheGibberingPotato

• Stubble
new roof
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
Our roof is probably approaching time for a replacement.  It doesn't have any curled shingles or anything like that; there is a lot of shingle grit that comes off every year; there is mold growign on a small portion of the shingles on one corner of the house.

However, I don't know when I REALLY need to have the roof replaced.  Obviously I want to do it before it fails to prevent damage... but I don't know how to predict it.  I don't know how old the roof is; when we had our house inspected before purchasing, the inspector suggested in 5 years.  We had a roof guy give us a quote, and he suggested to have it done in the next year or so (obviously he has incentive for this).

When searching for quotes, just get lots of them and then go with the cheapest?

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:41:21 AM by 17oclockshadow »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: new roof
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »
Well I have always replaced my own roof as it is not that hard to do as long as you are able bodied and comfortable working at height safely and have air nailer/stapler.

Other than that normal rules apply, get 3 quotes and make sure they are bidding on the same things.. i.e all took penetrations replaced, new roof vents etc.

Do you get ice damn and what underlayment.. 15lb or 30lb paper, ASTM rated etc?

Are they quoting for the same shingles in each case (some are rated up to a 50 year life now which will cost more of course).

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »
Along the lines of making sure the quotes are all on the same things, ask about their assumptions.  Full tear off (and haul away), or just put on top?  Ice & water barrier?  Any decking repairs needed?  Gutters, flashing, etc?  What kind of shingles: three tab, architectural? 

What about a different kind of roofing?  Metal roofs have become very popular in this area.  When we needed to replace only a part of our home's roof (a single story ell) we did it ourselves with architectural shingles.  We had planned to use the same when the rest needed replacement.  By the time the garage needed a roof job, metal had begun to appear, and we decided to try it, hoping a longer lifespan would be a good trade off.  DH did this one, too.  Last year when we needed to finally do the main roof, we had an Amish crew install another metal roof for us.  Bigger job, two stories, metal is slippery (DH found out the hard way on the garage) made it worth it for us to hire this job out.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:39:23 PM »
Get multiple estimates and please don't go with someone just because they were the cheapest.  Referrals, references, and reviews online through Yelp, BBB and/or Angie's List are critical.  Make sure they have liability and workman's comp insurance.  Look at the materials - if shingles- what brand, what expected life, what rating for hail and wind.  If going with metal look at the type of metal, the gauge, the type of fastener (concealed, exposed, floating clip fixed clip) as well as impact ratings and wind rating.  Finally, look at the warranty they are offering.  Will they guarantee their work? for how long?

You are getting several thousand dollars of work done, don't leave it to the first idiot to get closest your imaginary price tag without going over.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
I started poking around Angie's List. The site wants you to join for like $36 / year. But I quit the sign-up process and soon after got an email for like 50% off. I resumed the sign-up process, quit again and eventually got an email for something like $10-12 / year and I went ahead and signed up. I found a very popular A-rated roofer on there, as well as some less popular ones. I got a few quotes and the super popular highly rated contractor was in-line with the other quotes. (Initially, some chain had come to my house and gave me a quote THREE TIMES HIGHER.) So I went with them and was very happy with the result. (Btw, $4700 for a 1300 sq ft ranch, if that helps.)

mathew1659

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
I personally wouldnt replace it yet. Honestly as long as its not leaking then the only reason to replace it is for eye appeal.

As it begins to approach its last years of life inspect the attic a couple times a year during a nice heavy rain storm, also look at the exterior woodwork such as soffits to ensure its not leaking there either ( signs of wood rot). Its not like the world is going to come to an end the second you find signs of a leak in the attic or around a soffit, even interior construction lumber/wood can get wet a number of times (even for years) before any actual damage starts to occur. As long as you are regularly inspecting every year  then the only real risk is that you could get a water spot on a cieling that you would have to touch up with a bit of paint and/or a bit of wet insulation which will dry out overtime, these arent heart stoppers.
Problems occur when people know their roof is nearing the end and simply ignore inspecting, thats when tiny drips turn into big leaks and real problems begin to occur.

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
I think you should wait till it leaks to replace it. It could have another 10 years left. How many layers? I let a roof go on one of my houses until it leaked, the damage was fixed with a little drywall compound and some paint. Water damage may be more of a risk in your situation. But really, if it gets wet- it will dry out ha

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
I would learn how to replace it yourself with a metal roof, and then replace it when you have free time.  You can learn to do this from library books, youtube videos, or however you prefer.  It doesn't hurt you too much to do this before the old roof is bad because if you replace it with a metal roof it will last a very long time.