Author Topic: New Phone Opinion  (Read 1684 times)

HJenesis63

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New Phone Opinion
« on: September 27, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »
Hey guys. I currently have an iphone 5s and it's been reliable for me for the last 4.5 years. However, lately I've been having some issues with it and I'm not so certain that it's going to last me much longer (don't worry, I'm not giving up on it, I'm going to bring it in to see if all it needs is a quick fix).

That being said, if I needed to purchase myself another phone, what do you all think are some good affordable options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I honestly don't have much knowledge about what's out there since my current phone has worked so well for me up until this point.

Thanks guys.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: New Phone Opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
I'm a big fan of my Samsung SGH-A157 which I bought for a mere $25. But I doubt you're interested in a flip phone.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
If you want to stay within the iUniverse, the iPhone SE or 6S/7 seem good options (even an 8 at the right price).

If switching to Android is fine with you, check out the Moto E5 or G6 series of phones, Nokias or used Google Pixels/Galaxy S models. There’s an LG that’s apparently good value in the US (assuming you’re from there), but it’s available through a carrier.

The iPhone 5S is able to run the latest iOS release so it might be OK for a while longer.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:05:38 PM »
Factory reset your 5S, upgrade it to iOS 12, and use it until next summer/fall when iOS 13 ships and likely doesn't support the 5S anymore.  Then buy an SE for $100~150 and use it for ~3 years until it's unsupported.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 04:24:32 AM »
My girlfriend just moved to a Moto G6 from her failing 5S. Google was offering some promotions which brought the effective cost of the device down to $150.

I think the phone is huge, but it's tough to find one that isn't these days. Otherwise it's pretty nice, even without considering its price.