Author Topic: New Office Location - How to Get to Work  (Read 8515 times)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
New Office Location - How to Get to Work
« on: March 04, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
We are relocating to a new office building early next year. I have mapped the below transit options from my home to the new location. Which one would you choose given the trade offs? I am in Chicago so only a part of the year is actually walkable, and I don't have a car.

1. Walking, 1.7 miles, 38 minutes, free/exercise

2. Uber, 1.9 miles, 11 minutes, $3.69

3. Bus, 0.6 miles walking, 38 minutes total travel time, $2.00

I am leaning toward Uber except for those really nice days. I may learn how to bike with the traffic, but I am not even close to the required skill level.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: New Office Location - How to Get to Work
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
There are so many more options!  Walking 30 minutes each way is very nice.  I would gladly go back to that, and walking year round too.

You have missed many other options, biking, long board, powered long board, scooter, power scooter -- all designed to shorten a long walk...  check them out.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:25:56 AM »
I bet you can cut down that 38 minutes pretty quickly with practice.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:05:48 AM »
Walk. That's a no-brainer really.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »
Which bus route? (I'm also a Chicagoan.) Just one bus, or do you need to change routes along the way? Some routes are fairly efficient and reliable. Some are HORRID.

Personally, I would walk, unless there's snow and ice that make walking very hazardous. It's not worth breaking a leg. In my neighborhood, hardly anyone ever shovels or salts. (Yes, there's a fine for not doing so. And yet. :/)

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
A simple one - I'd walk. For both the free exercise and saving money.

And buy thermals, snowboots/ice grippers and a good coat for winter.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
I would walk most days.  Uber if I overslept or have to carry something heavy (very rare).  Bus if the weather is extremely bad (the worst of winter).

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »
Walk. Bike when it's nice weather, but then walk in the winter. Before moving closer last year I was a ~40 minute walk from work, and I walked most of the winter unless it was below zero. There were some mornings where I was either running late or it was just too goddamn cold, in which case I took the bus in but then I would still walk home after work.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
Walk. Bus if it's a blizzard. Walking in Chicago winter & snow actually felt nice to me (FL resident, visited for work) - I grabbed a hot cocoa and spiked it with Bailey's. Memories :)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
Walk unless there is horrible weather, and then carpool or uber. You sound pretty close to work,so you may find coworkers in the same direction who are willing to,give you an occasional ride for a couple dollars in gas money.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
In the winter, cross country ski if the sidewalks are not shoveled. 

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:22:43 PM »
Walk unless there is horrible weather, and then carpool or uber. You sound pretty close to work,so you may find coworkers in the same direction who are willing to,give you an occasional ride for a couple dollars in gas money.

These were my thoughts as well. Since you live so close, I bet you could catch a ride home with a coworker if the weather were to turn bad by the end of the day. I would try to walk whenever possible because it's free and (relatively) easy. On really cold days I would Uber if there was no generous offer of a ride.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »

Or dogsled.

Hot air balloon when the winds are right, swing vine-to-vine, human cannonball it, pogo stick.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
Walking, I'd say.  I don't think uber has a set fare (unless it's different in Chicago) but even if it's always 3.69, that's 7.38*~22 days if you're M-F. 

Jesus Christ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
Move closer to work if possible

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »
This is one of those posts where I realize how strange NYC is compared to the rest of the country.  I walk between 3 and 5 miles a day despite not actually walking to work.  I would love a 38 minute walking option!

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »

Or dogsled.

Hot air balloon when the winds are right, swing vine-to-vine, human cannonball it, pogo stick.

You laugh, but when I lived in Maine, I did see people cross country skiing to work.  I cross country skied to a bar once in a big snow storm.  It was a blast.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:56 AM »
Biking is the ideal choice.  Take it slow and easy, stay on the sidewalks if and where you can, and pay close attention at driveways and (of course) at intersections.  Do not wear earbuds and stay alert at all times.

Google maps has a toggle for cycling directions and it can show you the best routes and even hidden bike paths.

I live about the same distance as you from work and I have walked or biked every day no matter what the weather is doing.  My bike ride takes me 12 minutes and the walk at a fast clip takes me 30.  I find walking to be tedious compared to biking, so I only walk when there's a large accumulation of snow or ice.  I'm in my late 50's BTW.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
Biking is the ideal choice.  Take it slow and easy, stay on the sidewalks if and where you can, and pay close attention at driveways and (of course) at intersections.  Do not wear earbuds and stay alert at all times.

Google maps has a toggle for cycling directions and it can show you the best routes and even hidden bike paths.

I live about the same distance as you from work and I have walked or biked every day no matter what the weather is doing.  My bike ride takes me 12 minutes and the walk at a fast clip takes me 30.  I find walking to be tedious compared to biking, so I only walk when there's a large accumulation of snow or ice.  I'm in my late 50's BTW.

Not to derail this whole thread but biking on the sidewalk is usually not safer. 

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
I think if I were in your situation I would probably just walk to work, and then on any days where the weather is bad enough that you'd rather not walk, then use Uber. I would not use the bus in worse weather because buses seem to always have delays in bad weather, so that time estimate you gave will likely be higher.

I've never had the luxury to live less than 2 miles from where I worked, so that's the only reason I never walked. The place I worked at for 3 years prior to FIRE was the closest I've ever lived to my workplace, and it was almost a 90 minute walk 1 way. I did it a few times out of necessity, but I didn't have 3 extra hours in my day to spend commuting every single day.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
Walk. That's a no-brainer really.

+1

I love walking to work. I take the long route along side streets and it's a very peaceful way to start the day. Biking stresses me out a bit and I would arrive to work sweaty. A 30-40 minute walk is an ideal way to create a bit of quiet calm and space before and after the workday.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »
I am in Chicago so only a part of the year is actually walkable...

This is false. Wear proper clothing and you'll be fine. 1.7 miles is just a bit farther than I would personally want to commit to walking twice daily, but would probably choose walking most of the time over the other options.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »
All good thoughts. I should probably start practicing walking 30+min. I currently take bus home in the evenings, and can replace that with walking. Morning is tough for me as I am often sleep deprived.

I think most people would probably jump at the chance to walk my route, which is basically along Lake Michigan and Chicago River.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:54:11 PM by chesebert »

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 03:43:02 PM »

This is false. Wear proper clothing and you'll be fine. 1.7 miles is just a bit farther than I would personally want to commit to walking twice daily, but would probably choose walking most of the time over the other options.
Yeah, why don't you try it. I wear thick thermals this past winter and I am still very cold if I am outside for 10+min.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 03:45:21 PM »

Not to derail this whole thread but biking on the sidewalk is usually not safer.

Agreed. I am not even sure it's permitted in Chicago. I have never seen anyone riding bikes on the sidewalk. I used to live in Asia and people do that and it annoys me to no end.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Are you still cold with your thermal layer and long coat while walking/biking/exercising?  Because in 0 to -20 (admittedly have limited experience in the -30) territory, standing still is awful, but a coat to your knees + thermals + lined wool pants is fine when you're moving. 

For me it's always my face that gets me in cold windy weather.  I refuse to wear ski goggles to work (coincidentally, this is why I like walking more than biking in sub 20 weather).

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:12 PM »
Are you still cold with your thermal layer and long coat while walking/biking/exercising?  Because in 0 to -20 (admittedly have limited experience in the -30) territory, standing still is awful, but a coat to your knees + thermals + lined wool pants is fine when you're moving. 

For me it's always my face that gets me in cold windy weather.  I refuse to wear ski goggles to work (coincidentally, this is why I like walking more than biking in sub 20 weather).

I wore thermal underneath my suit pants and I was still cold.  Face gets cold too, I could get one of those assassin looking covers, but I am not sure about wearing it to the office :)

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 05:22:09 PM »

Yeah, why don't you try it. I wear thick thermals this past winter and I am still very cold if I am outside for 10+min.

I spent two winters in Madison Wisconsin (colder than Chicago) with a walk commute 1.2 miles each way. It was cold in January, sure, but it worked out just fine. I spent the rest of my life prior to that in Minnesota and Iowa (also colder than Chicago). I may live in mild Seattle now, but I do know a thing or two about cold winters.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:24:10 PM by seattlecyclone »

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »

Agreed. I am not even sure it's permitted in Chicago. I have never seen anyone riding bikes on the sidewalk. I used to live in Asia and people do that and it annoys me to no end.

Nope, biking on the sidewalk is not legal in Chicago. (of course, tell that to all the people who do it anyway....)

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »

Nope, biking on the sidewalk is not legal in Chicago. (of course, tell that to all the people who do it anyway....)

What about the human cannonball idea though?  I know caliber is in excess of the Gun Control Act of 1968, but what are the chances of being caught for that?  Amongst all the other sidewalk-dwelling criminals I mean...

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
I have been walking to and from work the whole week. I was really tired this morning and almost called Uber, but somehow I got out and walked to work. I didn't really know how that happened. Autopilot is good. The new office is 10 min walk from my current office, and I have a year to fully ingrain the habit.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 08:31:36 PM »
Walk. Bus if it's a blizzard. Walking in Chicago winter & snow actually felt nice to me (FL resident, visited for work) - I grabbed a hot cocoa and spiked it with Bailey's. Memories :)
While that is a warming story, I would probably recommend that the OP not drink hot cocoa with Bailey's on her/his way to work each morning ;-)

Paul | pdgessler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »
What about the human cannonball idea though?  I know caliber is in excess of the Gun Control Act of 1968, but what are the chances of being caught for that?  Amongst all the other sidewalk-dwelling criminals I mean...

I think an exception is warranted here. In order to be "well regulated", militia members surely must arrive at work on time. What better way to do that than a human cannon?!

claire.harris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 06:00:13 AM »
My office is 1.9 miles from home. I bike most days, even though I live in a rainy city and wear glasses, it's 15 mins (I'm slow, but faster than the cars stuck in traffic!). I thought I would walk it more (40 mins) but I only walk if I'm going out straight from work or if it's foggy/torrential rain. I did take the tram the other day and it was only 10 minutes faster than walking by the time I waited for it and walked both ends, and cost £3.60/$5 (an uber is £4.27/$6), so I won't bother with that again!