Author Topic: New Mustachian - I need help! / advice  (Read 2888 times)

viper155

• Bristles
New Mustachian - I need help! / advice
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Hello All! I am new to this site but am innately Mustachian. I'm in my mid fifties, in great physical condition and am unhappily retired and basically financially secure. I don't feel "good" unless I'm working making someone else rich. I retired several years ago from a job I adored. Now I do work that I like but there is not enough of it. I collect a handsome pension, cash flow my kids college tuition and have a great family but can't get over not feeling productive through working! I stay busy studying guitar, working around the house and stuff like that but I'm BORED!!!!! What can I do?

GoldenStache

• Stubble
Re: New Mustachian - I need help! / advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
If I had your problem I would buy the crappiest house I could find, fix it up and make it a rental.

You could always make one of these:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tj-morton/5640496329/

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »
Habitat for Humanity nearby?

Bicycle across the country to raise funds for your favorite charity?

Call your local city/county/etc. and ask who coordinates volunteers and find out what they need?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
I don't feel "good" unless I'm working making someone else rich.

Then boy do I have a job for you! Are you up for moving to St. Louis? I'd love to be the "someone else" in your equation.

In all seriousness though, maybe your new "job" can be to work for other people who are working toward financial independence. Help someone research and flip some properties. Help someone build a startup from the ground floor. Finance a small invention. Whatever. You have endless possibilities, and it doesn't have to be a 9 to 5 grind for a HUGE company. Find something that has a purpose, not something that simply flls your time/prevents your boredom.

Congrats on the financial independence. Good luck on the search for a cure to your boredom.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 02:04:14 AM »
Any reason you cannot return to the job that you adored?  Even if it is not with the same company or at the same capacity?  Is there another type of job with the characteristics that you liked about your old job?

Now that you have experienced retirement and know it's not for you, I see no reason why you can't "un-retire". 

This is something that concerns me as well as I work my way to being FI.  Right now I don't know what else I would do if I were to FIRE tomorrow.  I have ideas in my head but I have doubts about how long I can do it for before I get bored.  Finding work that is meaningful to me has been the hardest nut to crack in my journey towards FI.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!