Author Topic: New mattress or mattress cover?  (Read 4457 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
New mattress or mattress cover?
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »
I bought a mattress from Sears 4 years ago for $400. We don't have any non premium mattress stores around here, so I bought it without trying it. It was okay, but not great. However it now has big indents where we sleep (you can't flip pillow top mattresses, just rotate them) and with my back pain getting worse due to the baby, it's not cutting it anymore.

So, do I but a mattress topper and try to extend the life of this one? (Kohls has some gel tops for around $50 with coupons, but I'll take recommendations)

Or do I buy a new mattress? (Any recommendations? I was thinking the frugalwoods Amazon rec.)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: New mattress or mattress cover?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »
Being pregnant and not getting a good nights sleep is horrible. My suggestion is to go ahead and get a new mattress. I do not belive a topper will help you.

Not really sure about the Amazon one that frugal woods recommends. I ended up buying a Tuft and Needle one for us about a couple of months ago and really like it. The huge advantage of foam mattresses over the traditional spring is that it does not disturb your partner when you are restless (my foam mattress is on a platform bed).

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Kohls toppers (btw, Kohls is ALWAYS having sales, coupons).

A topper won't 'fill in' your sagging spots. So you need a mattress. 
My understanding is that the main (only?) advantage of a topper is it softens a firm mattress.  My last mattress was a waterbed and my current one is a 20 yr foam mattress. It is/was much firmer than I was use to, which is why I got a topper.

I'm in the market for a mattress and/or topper (I need to sleep on the mattress w/o my topper to tell).
The best deal I've found on mattresses is: Sams Club online (thanks to Clark Howard.com).  Quite cheap, respectable reviews (for the price).   I'm going to become a member, buy the mattress, cancel membership and get a refund (once I know I like the mattress).

I don't think it will help, but I've often wondered - can you cut the pillow 'top' off a mattress to flip it?  It may not look pretty, but you're going to put that side on the bottom, so who cares...

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
Grab a 12-14" memory foam from Amazon.  I love all 3 of ours!  Going on 5 years now!

RExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
We flipped our pillow top and put a topper on what used to be the bottom but is now the top.  We're going on 2 years this way and it has worked for us.  At some point we'll probably replace the mattress, but at least we'll have gotten a few more years out of it.  Never buying a pillow top again. 

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
I tried the one the Frugalwoods recommend. It is INCREDIBLY FIRM. Like. SO FIRM. SO VERY FIRM. I thought I liked firm mattresses, but this was Too Much. Unless you also like a very (VERY) firm mattress, I would strongly urge you to either go up a thickness on the one they recommend, or go with Casper or Tuft and Needle or one that is more moderate in the firmness department. I am a curvy side-sleeper, so I got the Leesa and am reasonably pleased. It does not feel like other memory foam mattresses, and does not sleep hot at all (for me).

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
Memory foam topper won't fix the sag like others have already said. If you have Costco they have a really nice memory foam mattress that comes in a box. It's normally around $500 for a queen and they have $100 off fairly often. Novaform Comfort Grande, we like it.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
I bought a Leesa matress for the bed at my parents.  I sometimes need to sleep over and the matress it replaced was ancient.  I love it.  Its like the Tuft and Needle but a 6 on the firmness scale.  I've read reviews where the Tuft and Needle is a 7 out of 10, ie a little firmer.  I have a tempurpedic at home which was huge bucks and comparable to the Leesa in comfort.  I actually prefer the Leesa because the tempurpedic is hot.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »
Being pregnant and not getting a good nights sleep is horrible. My suggestion is to go ahead and get a new mattress. I do not belive a topper will help you.

Not really sure about the Amazon one that frugal woods recommends. I ended up buying a Tuft and Needle one for us about a couple of months ago and really like it. The huge advantage of foam mattresses over the traditional spring is that it does not disturb your partner when you are restless (my foam mattress is on a platform bed).

+2 (or 3?) on the Tuft & Needle. I have one and it's great.

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
Japanese futon. Never buy another mattress.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »

I have a gorgeous handmade bed I'm not willing to part with.

We went with the Lucid mattress.  All the other reccomendations were more than twice the price.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »
So the frugalwoods recommended mattress arrived yesterday. It's much softer than I imagined it would be. Jury is still out but I think I like it, it's certainly better than what we had.

And the great news is within an hour of listing my previous mattress on a for sale site I had a buyer for it on their way with a trailer and and cash in hand. I asked 80 which gave me some wiggle room to look really nice when I lowered it to 60. But I had so many people message me about it I probably could have askwd for quite a bit more. Who knew so many people bought used mattresses on Facebook. I'm thrilled with $60.. I thought I'd have to pay to dump it.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »

I've slept on some awesome Asian mats, but never owned one.  My favorite was pretty thin, it had wood (bamboo?) on the bottom and about a 3 inch pad on top.  The whole thing rolled up nicely and could be stuck in the closet.

Anyone know where I can buy one like that or what it would be called?  Searching the internet for 'japanese futon' didn't work very well for me.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »

I've slept on some awesome Asian mats, but never owned one.  My favorite was pretty thin, it had wood (bamboo?) on the bottom and about a 3 inch pad on top.  The whole thing rolled up nicely and could be stuck in the closet.

Anyone know where I can buy one like that or what it would be called?  Searching the internet for 'japanese futon' didn't work very well for me.

If this isn't the one you're talking about, she probably knows  where you could get one.

http://www.savespendsplurge.com/how-minimalist-sleeping-on-a-japanese-futon-works/