Author Topic: New Laptop - Need vs Want  (Read 4005 times)

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
New Laptop - Need vs Want
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »
My current laptop is just over 6 years old.  The keyboard had some issues about a year ago from built up dirt.  I pulled off every key and cleaned as best I could.  Still did not quite fix the problem.  I decided to replace the keyboard.  The replacement keyboard is horrible.  It is probably worse than the old keyboard.  This is the main reason I want to replace it.

I primarily use mine for surfing the internet and some minor office type work with Word and Excel.

Despite a recent tune up it does not run super fast anymore.

Despite this it still meets my computer needs other than the annoyances above.

If I get a new one I do not plan on spending more than $300 -$400 most likely less.  I will probably look for a refurbished one.

So my questions is this want worth spending the money on?

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
Re: New Laptop - Need vs Want
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
The keyboard had some issues about a year ago from built up dirt.  I pulled off every key and cleaned as best I could.  Still did not quite fix the problem.  I decided to replace the keyboard.  The replacement keyboard is horrible.  It is probably worse than the old keyboard.  This is the main reason I want to replace it.

Get a $10 external keyboard, and put it on the desk where you do the office work most?

Maybe a cheap memory upgrade would help a little with the speed? You could probably get 4GB quite cheap secondhand on eBay.

If it still annoys you then by all means get a new one, but a 2011 laptop should still be adequate if you're mostly using it for basic office and web stuff.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 01:28:27 PM »
get an SSD for the highest impact upgrade you can make. Just get one that is 128gb from a crappier manufacturer and you can find one for $30-$40. Completely worth it and will speed up any old laptop. Put photos/videos/rarely used documents on an external hard drive

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
I had a similar question and I decided to go with an acer swift 3. I highly recommend acer for basic computers that meet your needs.
But you can keep trying to fix it if you have a lot of time.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:55:04 PM »
Since you mainly use it for entertainment (surfing), unless it's actually not working ....... replacing it is a want. And even then, replacing it is still a want.

It's probably a want you'll decide to indulge. But it's not a need.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »
Sounds like you've got a Windows machine. The tech geeks will come out advocating SSDs, linux, etc. You've already got at least one! You can ignore them if you want, up to you. Personally, I don't wanna work that hard with my computer and SSDs are WAY too expensive for me still.

Free option to help with speed: wipe and reload the computer. Windows junks itself up over time, doesn't matter what kind of hard drive you've got. Wiping it and starting fresh (plan for a couple days worth of windows updates) will significantly help. Doing a clean up doesn't go anywhere near as far as a fresh install.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that a huge chunk of the speed increase you see when you get a SSD is due to a clean load. I would love to take 2 identical older computers and do a clean load on one and put a SSD in the other. Then measure speed. I'm guessing that the SSD will be faster, but off set by the slow down of an external HD. So realistically, you can spend a bunch of money to upgrade the HD (plus time) or spend a bunch of time but no money to reload the computer for probably not that much of a difference. Tech geeks - get on it please? (if you're thinking I'm a little exasperated that all these people on the MMM forums advocate for the more expensive option when the free option may be plenty, I am.)

And yes, if the external keyboard will work, give it a try. Can't hurt. Hunt down a keyboard with an appropriate connector. Sometimes you can find them free/cheap, check out thrift stores or ask your techey friends.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
An SSD really does make a huge, noticeable, real world difference. It is worth every penny.

Mustachians are working so hard so that they will have more time to enjoy life later, and an SSD can give you at least some of that time now -- for a very small price.

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »
Chromebook. And use google docs.

SheepDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:02 PM »
Sounds like you've got a Windows machine. The tech geeks will come out advocating SSDs, linux, etc. You've already got at least one! You can ignore them if you want, up to you. Personally, I don't wanna work that hard with my computer and SSDs are WAY too expensive for me still.

Free option to help with speed: wipe and reload the computer. Windows junks itself up over time, doesn't matter what kind of hard drive you've got. Wiping it and starting fresh (plan for a couple days worth of windows updates) will significantly help. Doing a clean up doesn't go anywhere near as far as a fresh install.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that a huge chunk of the speed increase you see when you get a SSD is due to a clean load. I would love to take 2 identical older computers and do a clean load on one and put a SSD in the other. Then measure speed. I'm guessing that the SSD will be faster, but off set by the slow down of an external HD. So realistically, you can spend a bunch of money to upgrade the HD (plus time) or spend a bunch of time but no money to reload the computer for probably not that much of a difference. Tech geeks - get on it please? (if you're thinking I'm a little exasperated that all these people on the MMM forums advocate for the more expensive option when the free option may be plenty, I am.)

And yes, if the external keyboard will work, give it a try. Can't hurt. Hunt down a keyboard with an appropriate connector. Sometimes you can find them free/cheap, check out thrift stores or ask your techey friends.

SSD's make a HUGE difference in boot times and loading up programs and such.  My computer can go from off to login screen in under 10 seconds.  A simple "windows re-install" wont do that, although it would probably help a little bit.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »
SSDs are definitely not too expensive. Here's one I just recently bought to refurbish an 11 year old computer (also went from 2gb --> 4gb RAM)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-120GB-SSD-M700-Planar-MLC-NAND-Flash-SATA-SSD-2-5-3DV72AA-ABC/391906376238

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
I've been using an external keyboard with my laptops for years.  It's
much easier than adapting my muscle memory to various keyboard
layouts.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »
Based on what you're using it for, I'd try the clean wipe and re-install first before buying an SSD. Any spending on this computer is a want and not a need unless it's for your job. In that case you should have the company pay for it. If that doesn't help, getting an SSD is probably cheaper than a new computer. I have an apple desktop from 2009 and it was getting frustrating to use for routine tasks. My cousin replaced the hard drive with a 500GB SSD and put in 16GB of memory, now everything occurs instantly. Total cost was around $300. It should last another decade!

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »
I recently did a complete reinstall.  I regained some speed, but not much.

I keep the majority of my files in cloud services.

I had been debating a wireless keyboard for a while.  Bought one on Amazon last night.

Questions about SSD:

Should I go with external or replace internal? I did read to buy external and install in
What size storage SSD do I need?

I have thought about a Chromebook but hesitant to switch over to Google Docs.  Anyone have comments or thoughts?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
Should I go with external or replace internal? I did read to buy external and install in

Internal SSD.  My rule of thumb when replacing drives is to
get 2x of my current disk space usage, e.g. if I'm using 60GB,
purchase a 120GB SSD.

I have thought about a Chromebook but hesitant to switch over to Google Docs.  Anyone have comments or thoughts?

You can defer the purchase of a Chromebook for now and start
the process of migrating to Google Docs gradually.  If it meets your
needs, you can always purchase a cheap used Chromebook later.
I own both a regular laptop and a Chromebook.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 01:08:16 PM »
My computer storage is much more than I actually use.
Storage Capacity 580GB, Used 80GB.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
A 250GB SSD will be sufficient - only $90 + tax for a Samsung Evo.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
Re: New Laptop - Need vs Want - Update - Internal SSD deal
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 06:04:02 AM »
HI All:

I have used the wireless keyboard.  Only challenge is that I still use the mouse pad on the original laptop.  I know I could get a wireless one.

Anyway Amazon Deal of the Day is an internal hard drive.  It looks to be a good deal, but it is a little smaller than previously recommended.  Any thoughts on it?  Is it a good buy?

https://smile.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-120GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B0722XPTL6/ref=br_prlt_slcty_pdt-1?_encoding=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=RQJAWHVSEMXVPBXN6SD6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=947d45a6-3be8-470c-bf68-ee4054e4493f&pf_rd_i=17599030011&th=1

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 07:57:48 AM »
My current laptop is just over 6 years old.  The keyboard had some issues about a year ago from built up dirt.  I pulled off every key and cleaned as best I could.  Still did not quite fix the problem.  I decided to replace the keyboard.  The replacement keyboard is horrible.  It is probably worse than the old keyboard.  This is the main reason I want to replace it.

I primarily use mine for surfing the internet and some minor office type work with Word and Excel.

My 3 yr old Toshiba (i7+8gb) has broken hinge (pretty bad - I cannot close the lid or move it), so I got a keyboard (new), mouse (new) and a monitor ($20) from Craigslist.
If your laptop cannot play a 720p youtube video without hiccups, then you should probably get a replacement.

1. Consider refurbished Business grade laptops
https://h41369.www4.hp.com/pps-offers.php
My first laptop from Hp bought in 2004 is still running Windows xp. I dont use it anymore but it is still working. Like everything, you got to ask the representative to give you some offers. For me when i bought the laptop in 2004 for $470, they throwed a docking station, and 3 year international warranty at no cost. If I bought the same laptop new with the perks, it would have costed me $1200 (my room mates were dealing with $1000 home grade laptops). You have to sort, watch, call couple times as the online vs stock will be different.

Intel celeron is good enough if you do not plan on heavy video games.
https://www.walmart.com/browse/shop-laptops-by-type/refurbished-laptops/3944_3951_1089430_1230091_1230092

2. Do not upgrade SSD/RAM if the computer is old enough -- I had components, so swapped, but eventually it will be lagging.
Like everything, electronics do age. So finding SSD and increasing RAM and loading different OS you arent familiar may not worth the effort.
Usually people score very decent laptop (i5 4th gen and above) around $200 from Bestbuy floor/open piece. All you got to do is ask the manager to work on the price, they will be happy to do so. Just dont go during their peak time. I once scored JBL woofer for $125 (original price 350, was on sale for $175 due to open box, then I got it for $125) but returned it since it was huge for my little apartment and got an Yamaha new when on sale for $100.

3. If you are okay to sacrifice your comfort and want to try, just boot with a usb loaded with Ubuntu or any kind of that flavor. But the word, excel will not feel the same as Windows.

4. If you arent on move much, consider Intel NUC. Footage similar to Hard disk, performance in decent range. I got one for gifting to my brother. The electricity it uses is very low (19W peak). I scored a decent i5 from ebay for $240 for complete package (refurb/used).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:08:16 AM by Trying2bFrugal »

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
I recently did a complete reinstall.  I regained some speed, but not much.

I keep the majority of my files in cloud services.

I had been debating a wireless keyboard for a while.  Bought one on Amazon last night.

Questions about SSD:

SSD - if you arent storing video then 120 gb (30 goes for OS, 90 gb for you) should serve you well. M2 SSD are the way to go.
When buying SSD, you need to buy new but not latest technology. Any SSD would be decent upgrade, but dont go for refurb/no brand names.

When we were in college 4gb was huge for us. Now people are struggling with 2TB hd. Its all about choices.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
When we were in college 4gb was huge for us. Now people are struggling with 2TB hd. Its all about choices.

My first hard drive was 5MB (megabytes) and cost about $2,500.  ;-)

whitethunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
I don't currently own a laptop but have been given a Notebook computer for work purposes. I use the library's internet and computers. Depending on your commitments, I would consider pulling the plug on a personal computer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!