Author Topic: New job: take it or leave it?  (Read 4443 times)

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
New job: take it or leave it?
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
Looking for some advice about what's a good next step for me. I'm currently in a field I love, in a job I like but which offers very little room for advancement. I've managed to wrangle two raises in four years, but the COLAs don't match inflation, and with new financial management coming in, I suspect the opportunities to negotiate raises will be limited in the future (we are already down 1.5 positions and have had two position reclassifications denied).

I interviewed for a job in this same field, and just heard that my references were contacted, which I think is a good sign. This job would not be a significant pay increase, but the opportunities for promotions and future pay increases are much better, as is the overall benefits package. The major downside is my commute would go from 45 minutes/day to almost 2 hours/day.

Additionally, we love our current neighborhood, which is very walkable, is near friends, social activities, and services like car shops, a hardware store with DIY classes, and health stuff. For reference, our city overall has a "walkability" score of 66 but our neighborhood an 83; the area of the new job would be at most a 28, and would only have a slightly lowered cost-of-living.

I'm seeing three options, but am open to other suggestions as well as feedback:

First, stay in my current job with my current commute. Keeps expenses minimized but might limit future earnings (at least in short- to medium- term).
Second, accept new job and extend my commute, with all the associated costs, financial and other. Improved future earnings and probable greater happiness overall.
Third, accept new job and relocate closer to that position. This would keep my commute from being extensive, but would increase my partner's commute and reduce the quality of our non-work lives. It's possible he could transfer to an office close to my new job in 12-18 months, which would neutralize the commute, but still leaves the neighborhood issues.

The basic/immediate issue is, should I trade a good neighborhood/commute for a better work situation? Thoughts? Questions?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: New job: take it or leave it?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
Commuting saps happiness.

Lots of companies "promise" good pay raise opportunities in the hiring process, but to make sure they put their money where their mouth is, making sure you're getting at least a 10% raise right now. (Considering more than 10% to offset the increased time and commuting costs, too. For me, I'd have to take a 20% 25% raise to commute that far.)

I don't think the money is worth the sacrifices.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »
Have you read this blog post yet?

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

MMM basically thinks tacking on each extra mile from work is like an $800/year pay cut.

Personally, I think I'd want to be looking at a 30-40% bump in pay before I could consider increasing my car commute by the amount of time you're discussing. I'd consider it a significant hit to my quality of life.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:52:22 AM »
Thanks! The information about the pay raise possibilities comes not just from the HR benefits explanation, but from two friends who had previously worked for the organization for long enough they have experience with the administrative structure. I think I just want the job so badly I've been trying to justify the downside. Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts & feedback!

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
A 2 hour commute is 8.33% of your entire day in the car.  That is going to wear on you!  It would take a larger raise and a promotion to get me to take that (and I would immediately look to move closer).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I think you should consider the new job if they give you enough money. I've personally never heard of a company giving more than 25% raise (OK once), but that would be enough for me. Also depends on how old you are, how much energy you have, and whether or not you have kids. If you are younger, no kids, they offer you at least another 10k, I would consider taking the new job and staying put in your home. Also depends on how often you change jobs. In my career it's not unusual to change jobs every two years.

I decided to take a job worth 11k more and increase to an hour each way, but I take the train. Do you have to sit in traffic? My new job would be 20 min if I drove in no traffic, but traffic is so bad it's not worth it.
Definitely don't rely on promises.

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:46:08 PM »
My choice would be: #4 Turn down job offer, keep current job and keep looking for a new one that is interesting and closer to home.

Agree that 2 hour commute will be soul-killing.  Not worth it.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
Another vote for "not worth it". You'd be giving up too many conveniences and too much happiness quite frankly.

If it's less than a 15% raise, then "not worth it"x2

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 02:11:26 AM »
One thing I learned being a contractor is that you have to include your commute time into your salary, cause it is cutting into your personal time. You wouldn't sitting in your car that long every day by choice, right? So, would you consider taking a job that offered the same or less hourly for the *possibility* of advancement, and you'd have to leave the neighborhood you like?

To me, that's giving up a lot in the present for something in the future that doesn't even have a guarantee. Unless you are in an industry/area that really doesn't have comparable jobs come up, I'd say wait for a better opportunity.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!