Author Topic: New job offer might be more than boss makes - start with VP?  (Read 2428 times)

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
New job offer might be more than boss makes - start with VP?
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
Hi all,

Topic pretty much covers it - I'm likely about to receive a new job offer for a position that might bump my salary above my immediate supervisors. I'm willing to hear out a counter-offer, but I honestly don't think my current company will be able to beat it unless my position expands or role changes.

I had planned to go to my management and mention that I've received another opportunity that is excellent, although I'm also enjoying my current position (the truth) and would consider staying if arrangements could be made to match or exceed the details of my offer.

The only thing is - if I start this conversation with my manager it might be impossible to make it work organizationally.

Has anyone been in this situation - should I start the conversation with my VP (next-level manager) and see if it's even in the realm of possibility that they'd be able to make something work? How should I frame that conversation?

Thanks!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: New job offer might be more than boss makes - start with VP?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
I wouldn’t start any conversations with anyone until that “likely” in the first sentence changes to a “have received an offer.”

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
I wouldn’t start any conversations with anyone until that “likely” in the first sentence changes to a “have received an offer.”

Sorry I wasn't clear that was absolutely never on the table. I expect a written offer letter next week and obviously won't let anything on until then.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
I would go up the chain as far as you can without going so far that they are not familiar with your work and the value you bring. ie they have to come down the chain to find out about your quality of work.

Before you visit with that person think hard about what you would want in order to stay. The company may have a hard time justifying a bump in salary to above what your manager makes so they may only be able to offer slightly less than your manager. If this is the case you could try to angle for a "retention bonus" to put your compensation closer to your offer.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 02:24:28 AM »
I guess I am not entirely sure what you are worried about here. Why would going to your manager make it impossible to work "organizationally"? Are you worried he'll be so pissed off that you think you're worth more than him that he'll put this info in the rubbish bin? It's not like (at least in any organization I've worked for) your manager would be making salary decisions single-handed. You tell him, he runs it up the flag pole and sees what he can get you. Or he thinks you're not worth it and doesn't. If I were him I'd be thrilled, I could use your offer as leverage for my self as well.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 10:32:38 AM »
In sales, it is often the case that the best sales employees (top 10%) make more than their immediate supervisor. It's not a big deal.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
I guess I am not entirely sure what you are worried about here. Why would going to your manager make it impossible to work "organizationally"? Are you worried he'll be so pissed off that you think you're worth more than him that he'll put this info in the rubbish bin? It's not like (at least in any organization I've worked for) your manager would be making salary decisions single-handed. You tell him, he runs it up the flag pole and sees what he can get you. Or he thinks you're not worth it and doesn't. If I were him I'd be thrilled, I could use your offer as leverage for my self as well.

^This

In my world (engineering at Megacorp) this is very common.  I led a 40 person team, and quite a few of the more experienced senior engineers made more money than I did.  I actually made more than my boss, who had shot up the ladder very quickly and was managing a ~100 person team in his late 20s/early 30s.  He didn't have the number of years of experience to qualify for a higher pay band.  And I also agree that if your manager has any sense he or she will be able to use it as leverage to get more at some point. 

On the other hand, going around your manager could cause problems.  That seems like a terrible idea to me, but your organization might be different from mine.  The only way I could imagine that working out well is if you have an established mentor / protégé relationship with the VP and you often seek out career advice from them. 

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice all. I actually did start with my existing manager and he was supportive and ran it up the chain (like people indicated would happen in this thread).

Either way, in upon further reflection I decided that I wasn't looking to consider a counter-offer since what they could turn my role into here is not nearly as exciting as the potential role.

Plus the new role cuts my 45min-1hr commute to ... 5 minutes!

Figured people like conclusions to threads so I wanted to share.

Thanks!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:13:15 AM »
Even if they counter, do you really want it? Take the new job unless there's a great reason not to.

The new role I just accepted skyrocketed my wages past my old boss (Manager), his boss (Sr. Manager), his boss (Director), and her boss (VP). Only person at the old plant that had wages approaching the new job is the CEO. Easy decision, aside from the part where I really believed in what the old company was doing, even if it was killing me.

Once you announce that you have an offer, it changes things. If nothing else, ride off into the sunset for a couple years and come back later with more experience and a broader understanding of the world. And a record of higher pay. It's better to leave and come back than stay with a counter and have people wonder when the next time you'll interview to up you salary will be.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!