Author Topic: New job location....is this really happening?  (Read 3091 times)

AlwaysDreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New job location....is this really happening?
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:21:40 PM »
There is a job opening that was posted by the company for my job, but at a closer location.  Right now I work in the same role, but approximately a 1 hour commute by bus. The new opening is near my current place of residence, a 5 min walk =). I will be going from renting to owning a condo in Vancouver (mortgage much lower than renting in this case) and even than the 5 min walk will turn into 15 minutes. So I will be set in this neighborhood for probably the next 5+ years. I feel quite nervous at the possibility (recently applied) of changing locations as I really got along with everyone in my current workplace with no complaints and the amount of work I do here is quite reasonable. The same role at different locations varies from the amount of work, same tasks though.

My question is if you were in my shoes would you take the job? (same pay, more amount of work, question mark in new co-workers/environment).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:06:31 PM by AlwaysDreaming »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Re: New job location....is this really happening?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:41:44 AM »
Absolutely.  If you enjoy the role, and don't anticipating it being any different at the new location, go for it!

It can be rough to leave coworkers you really enjoy, and the coworkers and managers you get at the new location may not fill the shoes of your current team, so that would be my only hesitation.  A walkable commute would be huge to me.  Not many places like that in Indianapolis, unless I wanted to move downtown.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:08:19 AM »
I would also definitively do it (and did something similar). A short commute gives you more of a life outside work. And about the more work, you can easily work an hour longer the days it is necessary if you don't need to worry about the long commute home afterwards.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:36:45 AM by Linda_Norway »

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
I would not hesitate to drop an hour commute (is that each way?) to turn it into a 5 or 15 minute walk. You will gain over an hour on your day! You will wonder afterwards why you were even contemplating it.

I hope you get the job should you truly want it.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »
Walking commute is the only way to live.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
I would definitely do it.  Changing jobs will always be an adjustment.  I would love to be able to walk to work!

AlwaysDreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:12:10 PM »
***Update***

I got offered the job =). I did ask a colleague of mine who had experience in the same position at that location and found out it is about 2 hours more work. Luckily this isn't outside normal hours. I already finish my job at my current location hours earlier anyways. It's the trade off losing my free time for a short commute. Well worth it I say. Thanks everyone for their helpful feedback.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:15:55 PM »
Congratulations!
The way I see it, you're trading free time at work for free time at home, where it's much more useful for you.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:18:08 AM »
Congrats on the job!  I hope it meets your expectations.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »
***Update***

I got offered the job =). I did ask a colleague of mine who had experience in the same position at that location and found out it is about 2 hours more work. Luckily this isn't outside normal hours. I already finish my job at my current location hours earlier anyways. It's the trade off losing my free time for a short commute. Well worth it I say. Thanks everyone for their helpful feedback.

So basically you are trading an hour commute for an hour in the office.  Since it sounds like your current workload isn't that onerous, and getting a reputation as a hard/reliable worker may entice promotions and bonuses to rain down on you, I think that's a win. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!