Author Topic: New guy in need of advice  (Read 1746 times)

Michaelsk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New guy in need of advice
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
Hello there,

Iīm new to this site and also the life style, any help and advice would be incredibly appreciated. After reading many of the articles, I decided to give this life style a try. So, he is my situation: I just turned 26, I am still a university student (Classical Archaeology- yeah, I know, useless field). Iīm from Czech Republic (central Europe). Thanks to my stupidity (mostly) I have to extend my stay at the university to get my Masters, I already have bachelor's degree. The problem for me is, I no longer want to study this and it is a big mental strain on me for many reasons. I currently have three part-time jobs, but those donīt pay enough to feel secure every month.
As you could have guessed my earnings and spending are more or less equal at the moment and I never know if I will get enough hours in my work to cover everything. Plus, since I am 26, I must start paying healthcare on my own, since I donīt have a full job that would do that for me.
In my opinion there are only few options: 1. I stay at school and hope that my jobs pay enough to pay the bills and keep something on the side for future early retirement. 2. Try to change form of my studies so I donīt have to be there most of the week and can have a full job with this or 3. Leave school and start a job now. By my calculations I could save up to 50% of an average salary I would get right now every month.

So, what do you think? What should I do? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: New guy in need of advice
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »
If you don't like your field of study any more, you probably don't want a job in that field, either.  If I'm right about that, then finishing the master's seems pointless. Therefore, dropping out and getting a job seems like a more fruitful path.

However, I can also think of several possible reasons why this could be wrong:
--if the master's credential itself, regardless of the field, is useful in getting a job or a better job (for instance, in some teaching jobs you get paid more if you have an MA even if it's in an unrelated discipline);
--if you are on a student visa and need to stay enrolled;
--if you are almost done anyway, so your situation is really only a temporary problem.

Good luck!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!