Author Topic: New Front Loader - Expensive & reliable or cheaper & probably OK?  (Read 6250 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
I'm in the market for a new washing machine. We have a 2nd hand mouldy top loader, and I'd like a new or new-ish front loader. I went into a store and was informed that Miele make the best washing machines... however, they're pricey, and not having used a front loader before, I don't know what I'm really looking for. Are they worth the extra money? I'm happy to purchase one if they are, but if there's other brands that are also very reliable and will last a while, I'd like a bit of help knowing what those are! Thanks in advance :)

We were looking at this: http://www.miele.com.au/au/domestic/products/washingmachines_models_W_1913-49145.htm
It's $1599 but there's a $200 off the price at the moment, until January. We had originally set aside $1k, we imagined we'd spend under that. When we went into the stores previously we said we only had $1k to spend, they suggested this one: http://www.electrolux.com.au/Products/Laundry_room/Washing_machines/Front_load_washer/EWF1074. When I looked online, there were great reviews for the miele and others said the electrolux was crap (although apparently if something DOES go wrong on the miele, it can be a PITA). I've also looked on Gumtree, but without knowing what I should be checking when buying a 2nd hand front loader, I don't feel very confident.

I'm feeling thoroughly confused and am unsure what to do. Help?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: New Front Loader - Expensive & reliable or cheaper & probably OK?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »
Just wanted to say everything we see depends on where we are. I thought you were talking about a front end loader when I read the subject line:

http://www.farm-king.com/Region-Canada/allied_by_farm_king/front-end_loader/index.php

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:27:55 AM »
Ah! I completely forgot "washing machine" in the title.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:34:01 AM »
Just wanted to say everything we see depends on where we are. I thought you were talking about a front end loader when I read the subject line:

http://www.farm-king.com/Region-Canada/allied_by_farm_king/front-end_loader/index.php

Me too ;)

How long are you gong to be in the same place you're at now? I'd be hard pressed to buy something costing that much if I knew I was going to move soon. It'd be easier to get a cheap one and just unload it on Craigs List if you move (or even buy it there) rather than hauling it. Course if you are planning on staying longer term it might make sense to get a nicer set.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:48:43 AM »
hm criagslist, there's one in kc for $75... but even if I spent another $100 on parts to fix it, it'd be better than price of a new one or good used ones in the $100-200 range too

but you're in austriala right? here's two from their craigslist
http://sydney.craigslist.com.au/ele/4216668128.html
http://sydney.craigslist.com.au/hsh/4184113831.html
but I'm not sure if there is a local site for your area :S

for me, I like the top loaded ones more :S seems to hold more if you get one without the central spindle

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »

This was exactly what I thought too.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:04:48 AM »
I bought the Whirlpool Duet front-loader perhaps six years ago, and -- at that point -- the salesperson told me that it makes up 90% of the sales.  If this is still true, there's value in owning the same machine as "everyone else".  Parts will continue to be available.

I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure it was worth the splurge.  I mean, my clothes get clean, but I haven't seen big reductions in my water bill.  I LOVE that it tells me exactly how many minutes are left 'til my load is finished.  I LOVE that it washes a ton of clothes at once, and I LOVE the absence of that big agitator in the middle of the washing machine.  I like the little slide tray into which I drop the soap. 

Would I buy it again?  I don't know.  I hope not to face that question anytime soon. 

If you buy the front loader, do read the manual.  LOTS of people complain about mildew-y smells . . . but if they'd read their instructions, they'd know that you're supposed to leave the door cracked when you're not using it, and they'd know that once a month you're supposed to run a "cleaning cycle" (it's a cycle, right there on the dial) with a cup of bleach.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 07:26:12 AM »
Maintenance was one of the things I asked the salesperson about. Didn't want to get any avoidable issues! We may move in a year or two, but I doubt we'll be moving far.

For reference: Gumtree is the local equivalent of Craig's list, although there may be a local craigslist as well

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
I am looking to get this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-4-3-cu-ft-8-cycle-ultra-large-capacity-high-efficiency-top-loading-washer-white/6571176.p?id=1218755601226&skuId=6571176

Or something similar.

but it's a top loader.

Best price I've found is $599 for a similar version.  My city gives a $150 rebate.

From what I've read, most front loaders last about 7-10 years.  My current top loader is 27 years old.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »

From what I've read, most front loaders last about 7-10 years.  My current top loader is 27 years old.

I wouldn't just totally disregard this... but I think there is more going on here than front vs top.  Older appliances were simpler and were built to last and be repaired.  Even the top loaders changed from a porcelain-on-steel tub with metal bearings to plastic tubs with plastic bearings.  We've sort of demanded cheaper appliances and ... we got cheaper appliances. 

The other serious difference: electronics.  The smart electronics of appliances hasn't really matured (IMO).  We've put little computers in them and then we're surprised when the main boards die due to power surges.  The most common failure for new appliances (of all types) seems to be a bad motherboard.  These are usually in the hundreds of dollars to replace, often making it a replace instead of repair decision.

I'd suggest putting a dedicated surge protector on any 120v "smart" appliance and a whole-house surge protector to try to protect the 240v appliances.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
Interesting!  Makes me glad all my appliances are dumb!  :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »

I wouldn't just totally disregard this... but I think there is more going on here than front vs top.  Older appliances were simpler and were built to last and be repaired.  Even the top loaders changed from a porcelain-on-steel tub with metal bearings to plastic tubs with plastic bearings.  We've sort of demanded cheaper appliances and ... we got cheaper appliances. 

The other serious difference: electronics.  The smart electronics of appliances hasn't really matured (IMO).  We've put little computers in them and then we're surprised when the main boards die due to power surges.  The most common failure for new appliances (of all types) seems to be a bad motherboard.  These are usually in the hundreds of dollars to replace, often making it a replace instead of repair decision.

I'd suggest putting a dedicated surge protector on any 120v "smart" appliance and a whole-house surge protector to try to protect the 240v appliances.

Yes, that is a bummer.  Not a fan of all the new electronics.  I've been looking for a new washing machine for 2 years and have finally come to terms with the new electronics.  (Although you can still buy "dumb" ones that are repairable for a lot more).  I've waited until now because, well, the old machine just doesn't work that well anymore.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
Miele machines are amazing. That said, we got ours on Craigslist for $300 (for BOTH washer and dryer!). They were about 10yrs old and after a good cleaning--the previous owner didn't know you can't use bounce-type sheets in the dryer; the residue clogs the fine screen in the lint trap--they worked just great. It should last at least another 10 years if not more, and I can wash really delicate stuff--silk, cashmere etc. that says dry clean only--on the delicate cold cycle, it comes out almost dry and in great shape. Saves me lots of time compared to hand washing and a lot of money compared to dry cleaning. I've washed some of this stuff on cold delicate in a good American washer, and it comes out wetter (so it takes way longer to dry--the bathroom is festooned with sweaters for 1.5-2 days) and isn't as soft when it dries.

So they are great, but in your shoes I would shop on ebay and craigslist... I know how expensive Mieles are new and I too would seriously hesitate to pay that. Not because it's not worth it, but because if I can get it for dramatically less by prowling ebay and Craigslist, heck yes!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:00:01 PM by Daleth »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
Great your in Australia. My 2 cents, any thing with electronic displays, and fancy touch buttons should be avoided. Look for a washing machine with physical controls (dials, proper push buttons). Fancy electronics are just a point of failure you don't need in a device that's full of water.

We personally own this Simpson model.
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/simpson-45s551d.html

9 years on, zero problems. It was one of the cheapest models we could get as well.