Author Topic: new car tires - feel like i need new ones  (Read 2929 times)

sambb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
new car tires - feel like i need new ones
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
I have a hybrid camry, and the tires only have 17,000 miles on them, but in even light rain, they slip so much that I fear rear ending someone or losing my lane.

The tread still is not worn down to the markers.  It is about half way there

Numerous research threads show that this type of tire typically only lasts 25k miles, so I am almost there.

Do I change the tires now, (I do think they are a safety issue), or do i accept that I may get into an accident, and keep them until they are worn to the maufacturer's wear indicator?

worms

• Bristles
Re: new car tires - feel like i need new ones
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »
I feel that my tyres really start to lose their wet-road performance at about that figure and poor quality tyres at less than that. (I presume that you have checked that they are not overinflated).

My car has been drifting slightly on wet corners recently and will be getting new front tyres for winter in a couple of months time.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:07:23 AM »
No, you don't change them now.  Be sure they are not overinflated.

Also, keep in mind that if doesn't rain regularly all the the oils (from engines, tires, whatever) accumulated on road surfaces and in summer because of the heat the visosity point is much lower so when it rains you get the equivalent of an oil slick on the road - if it rains a lot or for long enough then the oils are washed away.  But those initial rains can be dangerous. This may be what you are experiencing.

Just drive carefully.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »
They are probably rock hard tires made for mileage (assuming this since they are on a hybrid). If they are truly dangerous in light rain or greater, and it rains a lot where you are, make the purchase (and don't buy the same tire / same type of tire). However, truly evaluate how you drive and how much you need them. My wife complains EVERY time it rains that her tires are subject to hydroplane. I had to drive her car for a couple weeks and found this to not be true at all. She just expects it to handle and "feel" the same as in dry conditions.

MoneyLifeandMore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Life and More
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:11:11 PM »
If they are truly a danger you need to change them. However, I'm thinking you'd be better off adjusting your driving habits in bad weather to go slower and leave more distance between cars. I haven't ever felt unsafe in the rain and my tires on my Honda Civic have 50,000 miles on them. I doubt Toyota would put super cheap tires on a nicer model car like that, unless they're replacement tires that you bought cheaply.