Author Topic: New Car for the Wife  (Read 10805 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
Re: New Car for the Wife
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:19 AM »
You seem to know more of my life than I do since I haven't upgraded my car twice in past couple years... no idea where that comes from.

You have no idea where that comes from???
- In July 2015, you bought a 2001 Civic, and even posted a picture for everyone to see.
- A year later, in December 2016, you sold that Civic to upgrade to a newer vehicle.

Are you saying these things didn't happen?

So you consider that 2 upgrades?

The 2001 Civic was a new car to me... I had no car previously since I moved from Europe. Bought it for $2800 dollars sold it for almost 4K actually making a profit of $1200.

In December, as you stated I almost bought a car to replace that Civic because it made sense economically. Sold the 2001 Civic for 4K and could get a 100k Accord 2007 for 3Kish (can't remember the exact price) - 40k fewer miles than Honda not to mention 6 years newer.

I haven't bought the "new" vehicle. I have been car-less for the past 3 months ...but even if I did wouldn't you agree that selling a vehicle for more than you had purchased it and buying another for a lower price than you sold it for a vehicle that is 6 years younger and 30k miles less that;s called good business.

If it were possible to do this everymonth anyone would do it! The same way if my wife were able to sell her Jeep for more than she had bought it for and would find another vehicle cheaper but at same time is newer and less miles I would be the first one to tell her to go for it even if she had only bought the Jeep 3 months before.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 08:33:06 AM »
How does she feel about an older Honda Element?

In the past, my former husband and I owned a 2003 Element, which we traded in for a 2007 Pilot. He was 6 ft 6, and I'm 6ft, and while I have subsequently been car free in a rural area, (long story) + now own a 2002 Cavalier, held together by duct tape, and driven rarely, I loved both Hondas.  The Pilot, of course, was excessive.  I was a new mom, we were well off, and it seemed frugal at the time.  I thoroughly enjoyed the beast though, BUT tires and other maintenance was expensive.  The Element was fun, and paid off.  I regret only that I let him buy the automatic, and that I developed SUV lust. 

I do not like CRVs.  I've used as zipcars in the past, and meh.  A friend has a Highlander. I think the Pilot I owned was nicer, and more relable, but probably bias.

Another friend has an older Volvo XC90. A 2004  or so. I drove it once, and loved it.  I've seen them around $2k on craigslist, and am tempted, but the Cavalier runs great, even though its rusting out.

(I'd be car free, but car lite is the only way I can get son to swim meets, dog to vet, etc in the rural area where I live. I'm also disabled from a brain tumor, so there are days when I need the stupid car due to true fatigue.)

She is very flexible regarding the cars - at first not really she wanted just the Jeep. But after she drove one and didnt like you it drove I told her she had to be a little flexible (she even wanted a specific color).

Now she is flexible around those cars - we went to a Carmax the other day and she tried a Nissan Rogue and a RAV4 and she loved both. She is easy pleased. However she is looking to be under 5K for the car. Nissan Rogues only came into production around 2012 I think... same for Mazda CX5 (it looked great).

All car recommendations are good. That's why I brought the question here to the forum... lot of models that I didnt even know about.

Everyone was saying that she should go for smaller car... however when I search for all the smaller recommendations the Highlander seems to be smaller than most. Only the outback Subaru has less height. Just looked at Honda Element and is taller than Highlander it seems. I haven't seen one "live" yet but judging from the dimension specs it looks it may be the best fit. And it has better mileage than the Subaru Forester (and same as Outback ...outbacks dimensions is that it has 3" less in height everything else very similar).

I agree. We live in a rural area too. We live actually in town however it's amazing how here in the US everything is built not thinking about pedestrians at all or a walking environment. Unless you want to spend 2+ hours of your day biking to do small errands that could probably be done in a matter of minutes with a car, is not feasible. I have more interesting things to do with those 2 hours.

It;s amazing how here, even things that seem so close are actually far. Our Walmart and other stores that sit on the commercial strip I always think they are right here ... however the other day I actually measured the distance and walmart is 3 miles away ... If I want to go to Aldis which is further down the strip we are talking 5 miles... same for Lowes etc.

There is no public transportation around which would be great... not even Uber yet I think.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:39:26 AM by MrSal »

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
So you consider that 2 upgrades?
You questioned another poster's claim that you've had 2 cars in the last few years, saying you have "no idea where that comes from." 
I was simply pointing out that it came from your own posts...you stated you bought 1 vehicle & were in the process of buying another.

Bought it for $2800 dollars sold it for almost 4K actually making a profit of $1200.
You had many problems/repairs with this car...CV joints, timing belt, smoke from steering column...just to name a few. 
How much money did you put into the vehicle while you owned it?  This needs to be subtracted from your "profit."

Awka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
The Element really is a useful vehicle.  The rear seats fold up in towards the roof or are easily removed.  You can basically clean it out with a hose, like many Jeeps. The rear"suicide doors" that open out from the front also make loading stuff in it easy.

A full size mattress fits in back, if you guys do any camping.  I never towed with mine, but its also an option.

Awka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!