Author Topic: New Car for the Wife  (Read 10775 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
New Car for the Wife
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »
So the wife is in need of a new car... not that she NEEDS it but that is mostly a lost battle - she drives 3-4k miles a year and lives about 300-400 yards from her work.

She is not frugal as me, however, at least she says she doesn't want to spend much in a car due to her driving and because she values other things more.

She was looking into a Jeep Grand Cherokee (she owns currently a 99 Cherokee Sport) however after we test drove an 06 Jeep she didn't like the rough feeling engine sound and is now looking more into something similar that her mother has in terms of smooth riding but still in the same category - a 4Runner.

4Runners are pretty sparse almost no existant in listings... In terms of alternatives I pinned down to the following:

- Toyota Highlander
- Honda Pilot
- Nissan Pathfinder

Not sure if there are more with the same style design wise...

We want something reliable and that would last the next 5-10 years. In terms of mileage the maximum is 150k miles more or less with some leeway...

Since she makes low miles per year, we figure something reliable not expensive to buy and to maintain...

I was more inbeteween Highlander vs Pilot but just recently saw a Pathfinder and seemed to be under the same category with the same style design...

Somewhere between 2003 and 2007 years... if possible around 5k at the most.

Between these 3 what do you think in terms of reliability and maintenance is best?

Is the pathfinder at the same level as Honda and Toyota (my assumption is not but given she does't drive much it might be a possibility at a cheaper $)

Any other feedback or other brands/models you might know under the same category are welcome.

Thaks

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
Re: New Car for the Wife
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
All of those cars are ginormous unless she works with St. Bernard dogs she needs to move regularly.

I love my Honda Fit.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:13:50 PM »
Its not that we're buying it new so the cost is a non issue here... so the judging can be put aside.

It's her choice, it's the category she likes/wants ... If they are ginormous it's irrelevant to what is being asked in terms of reliability, etc.

Sure, in a better world we would all drive Smart ForTwo cars diesel that go 75 mpg ... however that is not the case. :)

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »
As I understand it, and based on my experience with a Sentra, Nissan reliability isn't at all on the same level as Honda and Toyota.

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:03:46 PM »
Its not that we're buying it new so the cost is a non issue here... so the judging can be put aside.

It's her choice, it's the category she likes/wants ... If they are ginormous it's irrelevant to what is being asked in terms of reliability, etc.

Sure, in a better world we would all drive Smart ForTwo cars diesel that go 75 mpg ... however that is not the case. :)

You will not receive a whole lot of sympathy for your SUV desires. Be prepared for judgment... here comes some more now: In a better world there would be no cars and people who had to travel 300 yards for work would walk. Try again on NASIOC, toyotanation, or another automotive forum for recommendations. Get whatever your wife wants and suck up the maintenance.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
All of those cars are ginormous unless she works with St. Bernard dogs she needs to move regularly.

I love my Honda Fit.

This. You say she lives close to work, and doesn't want to spend a lot on a car because she values other things more. So why get a huge SUV with terrible gas mileage?

I feel like I wouldn't be a very good steward of the MMM community if I said anything but "none of the above." So I'm going with that.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »

You will not receive a whole lot of sympathy for your SUV desires. Be prepared for judgment... here comes some more now: In a better world there would be no cars and people who had to travel 300 yards for work would walk. Try again on NASIOC, toyotanation, or another automotive forum for recommendations. Get whatever your wife wants and suck up the maintenance.

First...it's not my desire, it is someone else's. If you want to judge me, be ready since I bet in terms of car I have fewer miles on my life in a car than 99,9% of people here. I am 30 and never owned a car until 2 years ago - always rode Subways and Buses in Europe since the city I lived in provided all transportation that could reach everywhere.

Second, it's a choice. Unfortunately, USA is not made like europe where everything even in small towns is reachable by just walking or public transportation. The zoning makes every little thing far away. You want to go to Walmart? Or a grocery store? Yeah you need to go to the strip road just outside town.

It's not practical at all for her to be using a bycicle or whatever to do her errands and hauling stuff back and forth.
We don't live in a high urban area so there's that. Where you have to travel 4-5-6 miles just to cross the strip where all commercial stores are at... We live in a small town, ruralish area.

As for terrible gas mileage, we pay 20 cents per gallon so it's a non issue.

Spending 4k in a car is not spending a lot on a car... we are already buying used and buying through FSBO.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:03:39 PM by MrSal »

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »
As I understand it, and based on my experience with a Sentra, Nissan reliability isn't at all on the same level as Honda and Toyota.

Thank you.

Some positive feedback that can be taken here. Have had other opinions saying that Nissans aren't so great so I am scratching that one already. Appreciate it.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
It's really not personal. You went to the sushi place to order tacos. You got... something, and a funny look. You ate it and complained. The waiter pointed to the sign.

If you ask a Mustachian what enormous vehicle you should buy mostly for traveling 300 yards, the answer will probably be "no." That's not a bug, it's a feature.

You say but you "need it and that's the point," the response is "no you really don't, and that's the point." It wouldn't really be MMM forums if the answers were "well I mean sometimes you need a 4-seater road tank for transporting one person 300 yds, and I use the Thundercushion myself."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:25:04 PM by Hargrove »

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
You are right USA is not designed like small-town Europe. Based on your moving here from there, it seems that your low car-usage was more a property of it being convenient in Europe versus a lifestyle choice. Most people around here have a low-car lifestyle by choice. That is the key difference between a incidentally car-free European and a smug car-free American. There are bike-friendly cities in America but you didn't choose one.

More on-topic: my partner and I recently bought a used Honda Insight and it is phenomenal. My fiancee also wanted a small-SUV but now she loves her hybrid...

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 01:18:54 AM »
Second, it's a choice. Unfortunately, USA is not made like europe where everything even in small towns is reachable by just walking or public transportation. The zoning makes every little thing far away. You want to go to Walmart? Or a grocery store? Yeah you need to go to the strip road just outside town.

It's not practical at all for her to be using a bycicle or whatever to do her errands and hauling stuff back and forth.
We don't live in a high urban area so there's that. Where you have to travel 4-5-6 miles just to cross the strip where all commercial stores are at... We live in a small town, ruralish area.

Spending 4k in a car is not spending a lot on a car... we are already buying used and buying through FSBO.

And you can't do that with a Corolla or Yaris or Prius (or similar from other brands) that puts out a fraction of the CO2 and isn't a pig to drive around town?

Claiming that some stupid fuckhuge antisocial SUV is necessary if you live in an urban area is antimustachian, sorry.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/03/12/when-ridiculousness-is-ubiquitious/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/22/curing-your-clown-like-car-habit/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/04/its-never-too-late-to-ditch-your-gas-guzzler/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/06/16/why-you-should-smile-at-higher-gas-prices/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/19/how-to-come-out-way-ahead-when-buying-a-used-car/

If you're insistent on such a vehicle, then find the one in best condition for the money. A well-maintained car from a slightly less reputable brand may well be more reliable than a neglected car from a 'reliable' brand. Of course have a quick Google of the common problems of each model. The advantage of buying something ten years old is that most of the major issues of a particular car are already known.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:49:31 AM by alsoknownasDean »

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:37:53 AM »
Last year I bought a 2011 Mitsubishi Endeavor for $9300 and I love it.  My dad had a 2000-something (2001?2004?) Endeavor that he drove into the ground, just got rid of it in December but it was still running great.  He never had any issues other than normal maintenance.  I believe Mitsubishis are a little more affordable than Hondas or Toyotas.  On craigslist in my area I see several 2004-2008s all under 5k.  Maybe something to add to your list of options.

I know its not Mustachian to have a big vehicle.  But I splurge on almost nothing else, and its just something I enjoy.  If your wife is frugal in all/most other areas... let her have her big car. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »
It's unlikely you will get anything reliable in that age and price range because of the popularity of the Japanese SUV's.  The original Highlander made in Japan was an excellent car.  The 2010 4 cylinder from the Indiana truck factory I had was a POS.  Gas mileage was WORSE than the 6 cylinder and it started having electrical problems at 40,000 miles.  Became unmanageable at five years and 45,000 miles.  So not every SUV from a Japanese car company is a good product.

The Japanese-made CR-V's from the early 2000's (2002-2006) were solid products.  If you find one that is not rusted out, that would be a product to consider.  Around here, there are more of them still around than the original Highlanders.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 05:49:15 AM »
I'm sure there are examples of any model by any manufacturer can have issues, but of the cars you listed, the Highlander is generally known for longevity and gets good reviews.

My neighbor has an older Highlander, no issues, loves it. My wife's friend has a newer model, maybe 2014, and loves it.

Another neighbor's twin sons each bought a Nissan Pathfinder new in 2002, and both are still running fine. I know one had to have the muffler replaced late last year, but that's to be expected. He does a lot of trips from NJ to OH when the roads are salted.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 06:24:56 AM »
I know there are quite a few closeted SUV owners 'round these parts, so take heart. If this is what your wife wants, then I'd say things could be a lot worse than splurging on a 4k SUV for a tiny commute.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
Have you looked at a late model Ford Edge or Explorer? After having driven just about every mainstream SUV under the sun as rentals for work the last 4 years, those two seem to have the most refined drive trains and interiors, aren't overly massive, and have some thoughtful engineering tech as standard.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04:40 AM »
It's really not personal. You went to the sushi place to order tacos. You got... something, and a funny look. You ate it and complained. The waiter pointed to the sign.

If you ask a Mustachian what enormous vehicle you should buy mostly for traveling 300 yards, the answer will probably be "no." That's not a bug, it's a feature.

You say but you "need it and that's the point," the response is "no you really don't, and that's the point." It wouldn't really be MMM forums if the answers were "well I mean sometimes you need a 4-seater road tank for transporting one person 300 yds, and I use the Thundercushion myself."

The car is not for traveling 400 yards. It's to have a family car. She doesn't drive to her work place unless its 0F out or if she is hauling 200 lbs worth of materials.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »

And you can't do that with a Corolla or Yaris or Prius (or similar from other brands) that puts out a fraction of the CO2 and isn't a pig to drive around town?

Claiming that some stupid fuckhuge antisocial SUV is necessary if you live in an urban area is antimustachian, sorry.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/03/12/when-ridiculousness-is-ubiquitious/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/01/all-wheel-drive-does-not-make-you-safer/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/22/curing-your-clown-like-car-habit/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/04/its-never-too-late-to-ditch-your-gas-guzzler/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/12/08/turning-a-little-car-into-a-big-one/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/06/16/why-you-should-smile-at-higher-gas-prices/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/19/how-to-come-out-way-ahead-when-buying-a-used-car/

If you're insistent on such a vehicle, then find the one in best condition for the money. A well-maintained car from a slightly less reputable brand may well be more reliable than a neglected car from a 'reliable' brand. Of course have a quick Google of the common problems of each model. The advantage of buying something ten years old is that most of the major issues of a particular car are already known.

Im not claiming a SUV is necessary.... again if you read what i posted correctly it is not my choice.

If it were me, she could well have a small Piaggio like this instead :D

My wife is not mustachian as I am so, I am not going to demand her to be one if she is not inclined in that way.

Lots of mustachians here have threads saying how friction sometimes their mustachian can be with the spouses that are not... I have done my work exposing her the costs, differences, her needs, that she really doesn;t need such big car that we could get away with a small sedan or something or a small utilitarian vehicle.

She listened to me and still didn't want to go that route so that is her choice and of course I am not causing an argument or point stressing a marriage because of a car. Don't they say happy wife happy life?

The reason why I came here? Well, I have this community in high esteem. People here know more than usual in several topics, used cars and something that we could have for the next 6-7+ years.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
Last year I bought a 2011 Mitsubishi Endeavor for $9300 and I love it.  My dad had a 2000-something (2001?2004?) Endeavor that he drove into the ground, just got rid of it in December but it was still running great.  He never had any issues other than normal maintenance.  I believe Mitsubishis are a little more affordable than Hondas or Toyotas.  On craigslist in my area I see several 2004-2008s all under 5k.  Maybe something to add to your list of options.

I know its not Mustachian to have a big vehicle.  But I splurge on almost nothing else, and its just something I enjoy.  If your wife is frugal in all/most other areas... let her have her big car.

Yes. She is frugal in all other areas. It's the first time she is buying a car on her own (her first and still current car is the car their parents gave her when she went to college 12 years ago in 2005 - it is a '97 Jeep) so she kinda looked forward to it. She actually doesn't want to part ways with the Jeep but the thing is already falling apart. Not so much mechanical wise, but every single year to pass inspection it needs something due to the rush... either it's the rockers completely rusted out... or the floor of either the driver side or passenger side ... bottom of doors... In the summer when its hot outside we can't drive for very long because it starts heating up. So a new car is in the cards due to all these issues.

We stay in hostels when traveling in common rooms paying 5-10 dollars per night with rooms with bunk beds. She takes lunch to her work place... we eat 95% at home both of us and ocasionally like every 2 weeks we go out to dinner and even then we spend like 15-20$ person on a night out. Our groceries are $200/month for both of us.

Renovating our house? She is the first one to say we tackle it ourselves...

So again if she wants to "splurge" in a car (which she isnt exactly splurging in terms of $) so be it.

I havent looked at the Ford no... but aren't their transmissions a POS?

I totally forgot Mitsubishi! That might be a good one...

Also, we are not put off by smaller cars ...If you know something within the same style but smaller it'd be welcome. She liked the Nissan Rogue, and when we test drove it, it looked smaller... same for the Rav4
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:28:05 AM by MrSal »

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »
Have you looked at a late model Ford Edge or Explorer? After having driven just about every mainstream SUV under the sun as rentals for work the last 4 years, those two seem to have the most refined drive trains and interiors, aren't overly massive, and have some thoughtful engineering tech as standard.

The Ford SUVs are pretty reliable.  Escapes are nice too, but not as big or as nice as the Explorer or Edge.  Fords are very popular, so easy to find on craigslist or anywhere else. 

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »
It's my understanding that the first Ford continually variable transmissions were garbage, but they fixed them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
I can't really help except to say, maybe wait it out and see if you can find a 4Runner?  I have two officemates with very very old ones.  Those things are crazy reliable.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 08:55:11 PM »
Personally I can't speak to the models you mention, but in my general experience, most Toyotas and Hondas run forever and Nissans don't last as long (though they still run a good long time).

One way to get some sense of that (in my experience) is to shop for the make/model you're considering as if you were only going to spend $1K -- how many miles does a $1K of each of what you're considering, have on it? 

I bought a small Toyota pickup new in 1994 and it is still running great with over 200K miles on it and very little in the way of maintenance repair -- in fairness, it now belongs to a cousin, so I don't know all details, but I had it for the first 200K and had the clutch replaced twice and maybe the muffler and water pump (?) once.  Really, next to nothing wore out.  My hubby drives a Tundra now (I know, the horror), that we also bought new (ditto) and it's 8 years old with ~111K and, again, nothing but routine maintenance so far (touch wood).  And we tow with that (though not lots and lots), so some of those miles have been hard work.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »

Not trying to insult. I just think one nice thing about the forum is people question the assumptions you make in what you ask (e.g. "where do I get a cheap iPhone?" answer : "back up why do you want an iPhone" 

You did say
She is not frugal as me, however, at least she says she doesn't want to spend much in a car due to her driving and because she values other things more.

I just wanted to point out if you value other things more you could suggest your wife expand her car search.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 04:54:21 AM »
I'm a Toyota fan, but in my area it's hard to find a 4Runner for a reasonable amount of money that isn't trashed or super high milage.  If you can find a Highlander in good shape in your budget, i'd pick that over a 4Runner anyway.  Has she considered a Santa Fe?  I've owned one, and felt it was pretty good value for money in that category of vehicle if buying used.  I've had a few small reliability issues with mine, and the 4-speed auto that comes paired with the 2.7l engines in the 2001-2006 isn't the ideal transmission for that vehicle in my opinion, but that said i haven't had any issues with it.  I'm currently looking to sell it when i find a good Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe to downsize to.  What about a Honda CRV?  They are about the same size as a Highlander.  Where are you paying 20 cents a gallon for gas??!!  The 1960s??!!

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »

I just wanted to point out if you value other things more you could suggest your wife expand her car search.

I disagree.  Sounds like he has already been down that road.  My wife would be pretty pissed at me if we had said discussion and her agreement to be frugal was to drive a 10-15 yr old car that can be had for less than $5K but I still had to be a jackass and tell her that she is picking the wrong car and start the discussion over again from ground zero.  It would be more useful to help the poster with their question than to try to encourage an argument between a married couple.
\

I'm sure the OP knows what discussion will work and what won't, but if he is out getting recommendations for reliable cars, then there is an opportunity to give input that steers the decision (without suggesting something completely different than what she wants or starting the whole discussion over).  So...look at reliability ratings for something on the smaller side of the category she's looking at...why not a CR-V or a Subaru Forester or Outback?  AWD, reliable, plenty of utility, fairly high seat position (not so much with the with the Outback).  Go look an Consumer Reports for reliability ratings and get the top recommendations and take those to her, along with information which should show that she can get a newer/nicer version of these rigs for the same or less money that the jackwagons she is currently interested in (all without pushing, of course).

Or...maybe the OP has done that and knows it is a lost cause...in that case, I'd look elsewhere for recommendations

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
I can't really help except to say, maybe wait it out and see if you can find a 4Runner?  I have two officemates with very very old ones.  Those things are crazy reliable.

Yes i know they are reliable... the option with 4runner came because her mother has one with 180k miles and runs like new. They have had it for like 10 years and it is a 98 4Runner... when I learned it was a 98 4Runner I couldnt believe it. Purrs like a kitten...

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »

Not trying to insult. I just think one nice thing about the forum is people question the assumptions you make in what you ask (e.g. "where do I get a cheap iPhone?" answer : "back up why do you want an iPhone" 

You did say

We have been down that road.

Like I said... I talked to her, made my points and the reasoning... she still is adamant on it.

After I made a few points, at first she wanted the Jeep at a dealership -a used one of course. She is now saying she wants me to look for a deal in a private market. After telling her Id rather a Toyota or Honda (for reliability) she has opened it as well...

But again like she says - it's the first car she is buying with her money.... it's her money and she works hard for it. A 4,000 dollar "splurge" in an item that actually needs replaced (her other car is not the best and unrelieable) is not the end of the world... and cost wise in terms of gas is not much because I get gas for really cheap.

Actually, she is saying she feels bad and doesn't want to part ways with her Jeep - it's still the car she drives when her parents gave it to her for college. Another point, which I agree, she doesn't like to have to borrow her mothers car everytime we need to go further away for a weekend and such or drive a considerate amount of miles.

Regarding the iphone analogy, is probably because you guys don't know me personally. I am the first to buy something cheap if it doesn't bring value. Even when buying a car I try to stick with something if I were to resell, I would at least break-even or profit. Actually all my cars were sold at either break-even/profit after I put considerable miles on them.

Stressing the point to her after we talked it out, would probably lead to an argument which is not worth it. Slowly with test drives maybe she sees the cars are big and is flexible towards other smaller ones - after she saw the Jeep she kinda was saying it felt heavy and big.

I think the fact its her 1st car purchase ever probably has an emotional impact on her - and we all know how women in general are - having to be the "perfect" choice and adequate. :D

I disagree.  Sounds like he has already been down that road.  My wife would be pretty pissed at me if we had said discussion and her agreement to be frugal was to drive a 10-15 yr old car that can be had for less than $5K but I still had to be a jackass and tell her that she is picking the wrong car and start the discussion over again from ground zero.  It would be more useful to help the poster with their question than to try to encourage an argument between a married couple.
\

I'm sure the OP knows what discussion will work and what won't, but if he is out getting recommendations for reliable cars, then there is an opportunity to give input that steers the decision (without suggesting something completely different than what she wants or starting the whole discussion over).  So...look at reliability ratings for something on the smaller side of the category she's looking at...why not a CR-V or a Subaru Forester or Outback?  AWD, reliable, plenty of utility, fairly high seat position (not so much with the with the Outback).  Go look an Consumer Reports for reliability ratings and get the top recommendations and take those to her, along with information which should show that she can get a newer/nicer version of these rigs for the same or less money that the jackwagons she is currently interested in (all without pushing, of course).

Or...maybe the OP has done that and knows it is a lost cause...in that case, I'd look elsewhere for recommendations

Nope. Like I said I was open to suggestions under the same category or a little smaller. I wasn;t aware of Outback for example.

CRV was an option but she has a peeve about those tail lights of CRVs going from bottom to top. Honestly, it's something I don't like either however I couldnt care less about the looks of the car.

I have never seen a Highlander in person is it smaller than a 4Runner?

AS you probably could tell by now, I am not native English speaker so I wasn't aware of CUV's ... what Cars fall under this category? I think that category would fit her great if I can collect like a few models to present to her and she would pick out of those.

Regarding the 20 cents per gallon... well my grocery store gives points on your purchases that deduct on the price of gas per gallon up to 25 gallons per fill. They don't exclude purchases of gift cards... so I just buy Visa Gift cards. So, 600-700$ worth of cards gives me enough points to get 25 gallons of gas at 0 cents at the pump. The 20 cents per gallon comes from calculating the fee of buyng the Visa gift card into the out of pocket cost.

Regarding the list I have:

- Highlander
-Pilot (after seeing the dimensions not so much inclined to it)
- Mitsubishi Outlander (Japanese... it seems to be a CUV ... not sure in terms of maintenance in US if parts are as available as Toyota and Honda...)
- Nissan Rogue (the size of this would be perfect ... we test drove one last weekend however this is a model that only started after 2010s so price is much higher...so most likely this wont be it just put in this list to give you guys a comparion in terms of size "comparativeness");
- Subaru Outback (good its japanese... however it seems more like a station wagon a little bit? )

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:04:47 AM by MrSal »

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
I wasn't aware of CUV's ... what Cars fall under this category? I think that category would fit her great if I can collect like a few models to present to her and she would pick out of those.
See  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)#Examples

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
I don't know anything about SUVs but my aunt has a Toyota Highlander and it's a practical (well, by SUV standards) and a great car. Often serves its purpose when family is over.

The Honda CR-V is another good one.

Nonetheless, I am forever puzzled by SUVs and this need for everyone in Suburbia with two kids to own one. I live in the Suburbs and almost every house has an SUV. I feel at some point people feed off each other. My neighbor with one kid has one, let me get one too!

On that note, I like itty bitty cars. If I didn't buy a FIT, I would undoubtedly have a mini cooper.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
Mercedes S600, or BMW 760 series (with the V12 engine). 
Classier looking than SUV, but just as pig-big, expensive to maintain, gas hog(the way I drive, YMMV), but pretty cheap to buy (<10K last time I looked).  :-)

<ducks facepunch, punches to other body parts>

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
I drive a 2005 Ford Escape that I love, love, love. The back seats are almost always down and are used to haul dogs, recycling, camping gear, you name it. I don't know what your life is using all that space for, but the Escape has more than met our needs over the last 8 years.

Our second car is a Prius V that has almost but not quite as much room in it as our Escape (the back seats don't fold down totally flat). My husband drives that car 400+ miles/week doing field work in our metro area. The cost to own vs reimbursement rate on that car is AMAZING. Driving it actually makes us money.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »
I think the fact its her 1st car purchase ever probably has an emotional impact on her - and we all know how women in general are - having to be the "perfect" choice and adequate. :D
wtf.

Maybe she feels like she needs a new car because you bought two for yourself in the last few years?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
I wouldn't bother getting a used 4runner, they hold their value too well and they're not a good value used IMO. 

And with her low mileage habits, she seems like a perfect candidate for an electric car. 

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »
I don't know anything about SUVs but my aunt has a Toyota Highlander and it's a practical (well, by SUV standards) and a great car. Often serves its purpose when family is over.

The Honda CR-V is another good one.

Nonetheless, I am forever puzzled by SUVs and this need for everyone in Suburbia with two kids to own one. I live in the Suburbs and almost every house has an SUV. I feel at some point people feed off each other. My neighbor with one kid has one, let me get one too!

On that note, I like itty bitty cars. If I didn't buy a FIT, I would undoubtedly have a mini cooper.

Some people don't like itty bitty cars and feel much more comfortable, and safer, sitting higher in an SUV. It is also much easier and saves the back when taking car seats in and out.

An SUV is infinitesimally easier to get in and out of when you have back issues.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
wtf.

Maybe she feels like she needs a new car because you bought two for yourself in the last few years?

Huh ?!?!

Again she feels the need for a new car (new to her not new brand new car) because like I said hers is falling apart already. For big trips usually we have to borrow from her mothers because its not reliable enough.  And every year, to pass inspection needs something done to it - rust related. So its at a point that it begs replacement while we can still get some $ from that car instead of taking it to the graveyard.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:52:20 AM by MrSal »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
OP - try getting her in to something like a Camry. Just to see. If she's always had a 'high up' vehicle, just give her the chance to try out something less tall. So much quieter, smoother etc than a road hog.

There are years of Ford Explorers that have a certain transmission that is very bad. Avoid those.

Chrysler stuff that is NOT a Jeep tends to depreciate quickly, but... lots of people think they do that because they are junk. I'd seriously try and hold out for a very good condition Toyota whatever, if mileage is so low. If you look after it it will barely depreciate.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
wtf.

Huh ?!?!

Again she feels the need for a new car (new to her not new brand new car) because like I said hers is falling apart already. For big trips usually we have to borrow from her mothers because its not reliable enough.  And every year, to pass inspection needs something done to it - rust related. So its at a point that it begs replacement while we can still get some $ from that car instead of taking it to the graveyard.
What part did you not understand?
The "wtf" was pointing out your strange and incorrect generalization of women.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
wtf.

Huh ?!?!

Didnt understand the fact of she wanting a new car because i got 2 cars?

I dont have 2 cars...

As for the generalization, isn't it true that usually women are more emotional in these type of decisions? I didnt say anything wrong nor I am saying its a bad thing. Get off of your high horse.

[MOD NOTE:  Easy there.  You're getting testerical with your generalizations.  Just stop making them and everything will be fine.]

OP - try getting her in to something like a Camry. Just to see. If she's always had a 'high up' vehicle, just give her the chance to try out something less tall. So much quieter, smoother etc than a road hog.

There are years of Ford Explorers that have a certain transmission that is very bad. Avoid those.

Chrysler stuff that is NOT a Jeep tends to depreciate quickly, but... lots of people think they do that because they are junk. I'd seriously try and hold out for a very good condition Toyota whatever, if mileage is so low. If you look after it it will barely depreciate.

She knows how smaller cars ride... she used to tout how smooth and nice my Civic drove... Anyway we will be test driving next weekend a few cars at dealerships and will put her in front and drive a few CUVs including the CRV ...maybe she will overcome the tail lights issue once she sees how nice it drives. If it doesn;t I am more inclined towards the Highlander or one of the Subarus
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:06:36 PM by FrugalToque »

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
wtf.

Huh ?!?!

I dont have 2 cars...

As for the generalization, isn't it true that usually women are more emotional in these type of decisions? I didnt say anything wrong nor I am saying its a bad thing. Get off of your high horse.
Yes, you upgraded your car twice in the past few years.

One does not need to be on a high horse to object to sexist generalizations. Either way, looks like you're the one getting emotional...

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:40 PM »
Anyway we will be test driving next weekend a few cars at dealerships and will put her in front and drive a few CUVs including the CRV ...maybe she will overcome the tail lights issue once she sees how nice it drives. If it doesn;t I am more inclined towards the Highlander or one of the Subarus

If she doesn't like the taillights of the CRV, why not choose one of the other vehicles in its class, instead of getting a bigger more expensive vehicle. 
Here are some other options comparable to the CRV...
- Mazda CX5
- Ford Escape
- Hyundai Tuscon
- Kia Sportage
- Jeep Cherokee
- Toyota Rav4
- Nissan Rogue

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:09 PM »
wtf.

Huh ?!?!

I dont have 2 cars...

Yes, you upgraded your car twice in the past few years.

One does not need to be on a high horse to object to sexist generalizations. Either way, looks like you're the one getting emotional...

You seem to know more of my life than I do since I haven't upgraded my car twice in past couple years... no idea where that comes from.

Awka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
How does she feel about an older Honda Element?

In the past, my former husband and I owned a 2003 Element, which we traded in for a 2007 Pilot. He was 6 ft 6, and I'm 6ft, and while I have subsequently been car free in a rural area, (long story) + now own a 2002 Cavalier, held together by duct tape, and driven rarely, I loved both Hondas.  The Pilot, of course, was excessive.  I was a new mom, we were well off, and it seemed frugal at the time.  I thoroughly enjoyed the beast though, BUT tires and other maintenance was expensive.  The Element was fun, and paid off.  I regret only that I let him buy the automatic, and that I developed SUV lust. 

I do not like CRVs.  I've used as zipcars in the past, and meh.  A friend has a Highlander. I think the Pilot I owned was nicer, and more relable, but probably bias.

Another friend has an older Volvo XC90. A 2004  or so. I drove it once, and loved it.  I've seen them around $2k on craigslist, and am tempted, but the Cavalier runs great, even though its rusting out.

(I'd be car free, but car lite is the only way I can get son to swim meets, dog to vet, etc in the rural area where I live. I'm also disabled from a brain tumor, so there are days when I need the stupid car due to true fatigue.)

Awka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
Wanted to add my sister has a 2003 Escape. I've driven it, and while it does have the room a pp mentioned, the front end feels small (relative to other SUVs) and it doesn't handle well like a Honda or a Volvo. It's more like driving my Cavalier. Blech! 😇

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
Try her on the Mazda 5, Ford C-MAX (may be too new to find 'em used), or even Honda HRV (aka the pre-lifted Fit; certainly too new to find used)?

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »

You posted on the internet on a board that values frugality and want judging to be put aside? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »
I vote VW bug, since not only are women emotional about cars, they hit things too:

Awka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »
Try her on the Mazda 5, Ford C-MAX (may be too new to find 'em used), or even Honda HRV (aka the pre-lifted Fit; certainly too new to find used)?

Ah, the HRV looks sweet!!

Ok....I have a Honda weakness. I'm not going to run out and buy one, but damn, I kind of want to.  I won't, but maybe this guy will and he can tell us all about it....

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »
You seem to know more of my life than I do since I haven't upgraded my car twice in past couple years... no idea where that comes from.

You have no idea where that comes from???
- In July 2015, you bought a 2001 Civic, and even posted a picture for everyone to see.
- A year later, in December 2016, you sold that Civic to upgrade to a newer vehicle.

Are you saying these things didn't happen?